Rrod Pin bore

Discussion in 'PSI Superchargers Tech Questions' started by rob s, May 26, 2010.

1. rob s

rob s s

hi was wondering if you can drill out the rod pin hole to another size with aluminum rods? have good pistons in a 1.156 pin size, but my new rods are 1.09 pin size. wanting to use them on a mild blown 426 hemi application around 1100 hp@ 7000 rpm. or will it make the rod pin hole too weak?

2. Mike Canter

Mike Canter Top Dragster
    Staff Member

Rob, the best people to answer that question is the rod manufacturer. My guess is IF the rod is the same physical outside diamension regardless of the pin hole diameter then all is well but that is a guess.

3. rob s

rob s s

thx mike, the meat around both pin holes are .400, need to take out .068 thou. to fit the 1.156 pins to use the pistons.

4. 23T Hemmee

23T Hemmee Member

Rob, keep in mind you're only taking out half of .068 in actual material removal from each side.

(Actually .062" +/- pin fit)

Last edited: May 26, 2010
  5. Don Onimus

Don Onimus New Member

pin size.

Not a problem. just did it to two sets, that came with the smaller hole. Just make sure you have a good machinist do it, Will cost for the set-up time. Hope it helps. Don

6. rob s

rob s s

thx don, can u give me some details on how it done or what the machinist should watch out for. not too many good ones around here. thx

7. JP

JP Member

Then by all means go to a good one , they will know how to do it...

basically you can hone them to size on a sunnen machine after reaming them on a solid rod boring setup.

8. rob s

rob s s

thx jp, so I take it most machine shops carry the equipment needed to do this?

9. SoDak

SoDak Active Member

We've done this from .990 to 1.094, our normal machinist did it. He's one we have used and trusted for a long time, but does not have any "miracle" machines. Most normal automotive machine shops will be able to do this.