Mallory magneto getting hot

Discussion in 'PSI Superchargers Tech Questions' started by alkynova, Jul 1, 2010.

1. alkynova

alkynova New Member

Im new to blown alcohol motors and mags. i just wanna make sure if its common for a magneto/ mallory mag to get hot to the touch. I can only put my hand on it for a few seconds before it burns me. rough guess of 150-170 degrees give or take

2. Don Onimus

Don Onimus New Member

mag

I rally can't give you what you are looking for, but anything that gets hot like that is not normal. I think most of the guy's that run the Mallorys use Spud Miller. I am sure someone can get a number for you. Also Dave Kohler is good. Don

3. SoDak

SoDak Active Member

I have never noticed our SM IV's getting hot, but can't say that I've paid attention, especially after we went to setting the timing with a buzz box.

Are you drag racing or are you trying to run it on the street?

I would call whoever you have rebuild them and ask.

4. Comax Racing

Comax Racing Member

Mallory Mag

x2 on Spud. Fuel injection Enterprises. Give him a call and he will tell you if something is wrong or not. 541-990-2485
    Fuelinjectionenterprises.com

Corey

5. craig moss

craig moss Member

X3 on Spud Miller honest fella Great work He's good at fuel too

6. SoDak

SoDak Active Member

I put my hands on one of our SM IV's this weekend after a 12 second pull, it was not even warm.

7. secondwindracing

secondwindracing top alcohol

should never get hot...dave

8. Herb Moore

Herb Moore New Member

a mag should not gain any heat, if it is...something is wrong inside the generator

9. Dave Tuttle

Dave Tuttle New Member

I've Had This Happen Before...........

I was helping a customer with a Nostalgia Top Fueler at Fallon,NV. about 10 years ago who had a similar problem with the old Mallory Super Mag-10 in a Donovan.

We'd warmed the thing up first thing in the morning with me squeezing a couple of pint size bottles of Pump Gas in the Injector for around 3 or 4 minuites before switching the pump on with 98% in the tank! The thing sounded pleanty stout for another 2 minuites before it started to go sour, quickly loosing RPM like it was ready to seize! I promply dropped the squirt bottle and RAN MY ASS OFF!!!! Thinking "THIS THING'S GONNA EXPLODE!!!"

Well, fortunately, it didn't, and we discovered that it melted the pointer right off the rotor inside the cap. What we heard was the timing going from about 60* to Zero! The Mallory Trailer was there on the Mnfg,s Midway, with a couple of guys I knew running it. As I remember, they'd seen this happen before, but didn't really have a reason for it. He handed me another Rotor that should have taken the heat better and sent me on my way.

The Super Mag-10 was a short lived deal when they kept coming up with bigger & better a couple times a year. I think we ended up changing the timing box that it ran through and the Melting Rotor Problem went away. It was quite a while before I'd stand next to it while it was running though!

Fueler's don't scare me, I just didn't trust that one!

~Dave Tuttle~

10. Comax Racing

Comax Racing Member

Mallory Mags

If you surf Spuds website (FEI) he talkes about the Mallory mag and the different types of rotors available, but it seems the issue is only on his killer 8 amp SMV's. The high current heats the contacts on the rotor and they loosen. This then causes a failure inside the mag but it doesn't indicate if it will make the mag run hotter that normal.

As stated just give Spud a call and be done with it.

Corey