MAG selection

Discussion in 'PSI Superchargers Tech Questions' started by Iron Mike, Oct 6, 2009.

1. Iron Mike

Iron Mike New Member

All,

Long time reader,

Mag selection,
    I'm wondering what I should use

Like MSD for the pointsless and other aids

should I go with the 44 or 20 or 12

540 BBC
    350cc heads
    14/71 std
    big and Ugly
    20% over
    10.5/1 comp

is there an issue about using the 44 if we don't need it now but might later?

2. hemi altered 378

hemi altered 378 Blown Altered

well.....here is my opinion...and it really is worth about 2 cents. we all know the 44 is the ultimate as far as ignition goes. unless you are running around 45-50 pounds of boost, i would go with the 20. there are alot of good running blown cars that run a 20. also, the 20 is alot easier on caps, rotors, wires, etc. the 12 is not enough for a big blower car in MY OPINION.
    Darren

3. Flyboy68

Flyboy68 Member

Darren has some good points. However from a different perspective, why not buy the 44 so you don't have to worry about "do i have enough spark?" in the future. The price difference isn't that much anyways.

Josh

4. underby6

underby6 Active Member

We ran the 20 all the way up until we put a screw on it. If you ever need the 44 you can sell your 20 and get a good used 44...Leahy checks them out so you def. can buy used. The part about easier on wires is def. true, I change our wires about every 10 runs, with the 20 I ran them all year.

Brandon Booher
    NHRA TAD #323

5. hemi altered 378

hemi altered 378 Blown Altered

Josh....i hear ya buddy.
    Brandon...you guys ran really well.
    just for the sake of argument (mainly because i am bored) when do you need a 44 amp mag? i had this discussion with MSD and they basically said that when you start making alot of boost, around 45 pounds or so....that it wants to start putting out the flame. that being said....with a screw you really need one. but, with a roots....how much do you really need? remember about 12 years ago when Newberry went that .69 in the F/C with a roots? he had a hopped up super mag in the car....well, isn't a 20 amp mag hotter than what he had?
    this is one of those questions that i have thought alot about in the past few years. am i way off base here? what do you guys think?
    Darren

6. Flyboy68

Flyboy68 Member

Darren if you're bored go make some more of them spark plug gappers! :p They're nice! ;)

And I still agree w/ ya Darren. I actually told Leahy about our setup, 526 kb hemi, 14 hi helix 27 over. We're putting around 10.5 gpm in the motor at 8000, which will be fat, and leahy told me definately would need a 44. I think he was being conservative, however from his point it would be safer to advise someone w/ too much amps than not enough. The 44 will burn more fuel, maybe this would be good for someone running on the fat side and possibly washing out spark? Not sure...

I'm just one of those guys who's tired of buying things in the wrong direction, i'd rather buy the right thing the first time. The wheel works good, why redesign it? :D