KB Olds gasket help

Discussion in 'PSI Superchargers Tech Questions' started by KDavidson, Feb 21, 2006.

1. KDavidson

KDavidson Member

Guys, many of you already know I'm running a KB olds tall deck in a mild blown alky combo. The questions I have pertain to the intake sealing. Unfortunately I have a short deck manifold, so I need to run the spacers. I've heard nightmares about spacers leaking, so I'd like to be sure to seal this thing up good.
    The spacers are machined for o-rings on both sides, is it necessary to run an addition gasket on either side of the spacers or not?
    We're can I get the o-rings for the spacers and what material should they be made of? Nitrile, neoprene??
    If I need to run gaskets, what kind of gaskets should I run? And on both sides?
    They came with the end piceces to fill the .500" gap on the ends between the block and intake and I was told to run just a skin coat of ultra grey after I secure these to the block (block is already drilled and tapped to accept the end pieces).
    Any and all help is greatly appreciated.

Keith

2. Bob Kraemer

Bob Kraemer New Member

Here is my $ .02 worth.
    Although I am not real familiar with the KB Olds set up I would use silicon and bolt the plates to the intake or heads if posible using counter sunk allen head screws. That way you are not fighting to get the plates lined up. Also maybe one less area you have to worry about being sealed up.

Bob Kraemer

John byob likes this.
  3. DetroitJim

DetroitJim New Member

Keith:
    I've done a lot with o-rings in industrial applications, if done properly you should not need a gasket.
    For your application an ordinary o-ring material is fine. Common black o-rings are Nitrile also known as Buna-N. Your o-ring grooves need to be the correct depth for some crush, and ideally should fit snugly on the o.d. to contain internal pressure. Hopefully whoever cut your grooves knew enough to match the periphery to a standard o-ring diameter. Go to the Parker website and read the guide, it tells all.

http://www.parker.com/ead/cm2.asp?cmid=3903&

4. white lightnin

white lightnin New Member

Keith,
    I agree with the above we used o-rings for like 15 years now without fail. On the head side you can use both silcone and the o-rings. On the block I would glue the spacers down with a harnening permatex and use the bolts to keep in place and then use silicone between manifold and the spacers.

5. KDavidson

KDavidson Member

Thanks guys for all the help!

I really appreciate it.

Keith

6. Policy Peddler

Manifold spacers

I have 4 KB olds motors on a modified pulling tractor and have always run the manifold spacers with out a problem.
    If you do not use O rings, which I never have, here is an alternative.
    Silicone is that silicone, it is slippery and will allow the gasket to blow out.
    I put my spacers on the head, semi permanently. That is I can remove them if I want but if not, they stay there threw all rebuilds and disassembly.
    I use 3m weather stripping adhesive cement. glue the gasket to the head the manifold then glue it to the head per instructions on the tube. WARNING, BE CAREFUL WITH THE STUFF, it is sticky and does not readily wipe up although it will.
    Then I glue the spacer to manifold gasket to the spacer. When you are ready to assemble put some baby powder on both the gasket and manifold. Now the next time you disassemble the manifold will lift right off with out damaging the gasket and will go back on with out replacing the gasket or leaking. I have used the same gasket for YEARS with out replacing them!
    http://www.policypeddler.com/

John byob and bandit496 like this.
  7. Gasketguy

Gasketguy New Member

Intake Spacers

Keith,

We make spacers and gaskets to match, all the time. In most cases, an .060" paper gasket is a better overall solution than an o-ring because a gasket has a larger sealing area and can accomodate misalignment better than an o-ring.

An aluminum spacer with the gaskets glued to it with 3M Yellow Weatherstrip cement and the head/intake sides of the gasket coated with silicone will work great.

Just caluclate the thickness you need and we can make a spacer/gasket package that will do the trick.

Mark Adelizzi
    Flatout Gaskets
    www.flatoutgroup.com

bandit496 likes this.
  8. John byob

John byob Member

Hi d u still make aluminum spacers? 426 hemi 5 bolt thx

9. Nitro Madness

Nitro Madness Super Comp

Mark Adelizzi @ Flatout passed away a few years ago...contact Candi or Tony at Flatout and they should be able to handle this request...

10. John byob

John byob Member

Thx and god bless