Is it time for timers on fuel shut off or ignition?

Discussion in 'Pit Buzz' started by Will Hanna, Jan 13, 2006.

1. Will Hanna

Will Hanna We put the 'inside' in Top Alcohol
    Staff Member

This has been a very sensitive subject, and hard to bring up because Shelly Howard was very close to all of us, but in light of that accident and Gene Snow's blowover, I think we need to start looking into a means to prevent this from ever happening again.

The events that happened in Shelly's accident, were just a freak, freak, freak deal. In arguably the worst accident in drag race history, there are so many 'could have beens' that might have ended different. When looking at what could be done to prevent it, most of us in the class, myself included looked at it as an isolated occurance that had little chance of duplicating itself.

Fast forward just over six months later to the Monday after the O'Reilly Fall Nationals at the Texas Motorplex. I had heard that Gene Snow was going to do some testing, and was letting Spencer Massey get his license later that day once he got the shake out of it. I was there in the pits servicing the FC that I drive for the next race. I heard the signature A/Fuel burnout, jumped on the pit bike, told JB I would be right back, and rode down to the racer stands just at the end of the track.

I got there just in time to see him launch. The front end came up, up, up, then here we go, blow over. Oh no is the first thought that goes through your mind. Immediately, my mind thought of Shelly's accident. As soon as Gene hits the ground, I realize this is looking all too familiar. The car had rotated in the air, hit the ground facing the starting line at wide open throttle. After hitting the ground, the car was at an angle pointing in the direction of where I was, also still at wide open throttle. Bike still running, I rode behind the stands. After making a full throttle lap around the stands, keeping an eye on what was going on, I could see his car had come to a stop and was wedged against the wall, still smoking the one tire it had left. I then sped to the scene.

Once it was said and done, everyone on the scene had the look that they knew what could have just happened.

The prevailing theory is that at some point in the run, Gene was knocked out. He was not in control of the car.

Two accidents like this within six months, moves this from isolated incidents to a potential problem. With wheelie bars being used as more of a tuning tool in both fuel and alcohol ranks, the likelihood of failure is certainly there. I know from experience from my wheelstand in Dallas.

After discussions with Gene and some others, I'd like to throw some ideas out there, and get some feedback from you the racers, on what you feel might be done to prevent the occurance a car, primarily a dragster, flipping over and coming back to the starting line at full throttle.

In my opinion a timed fuel or ignition shutoff would be the most simple and effective method to prevent this. My only question is on a Top Fuel, Blown Alcohol or Injected Nitro motor, how effective would an ignition kill be on a motor at Wide Open Throttle?

Could an inline valve (the diameter of your fuel inlet line) right infront of the pump, connected to a timed shutoff on a throttle switch be implemented accross the board? I have to credit Dave Scheelk, Etterman Racing's Crew Chief with the idea after last year's Tate Branch fire. Such a valve could also be a big help in Funny Car fire prevention, we'll touch back on that later. Any motor, without fuel will die, unless it starts dieseling. An ignition kill should prevent this. The combination of fuel and ignition kill at say, 6.5 seconds on an alcohol car, should provide, in my opinion, the highest percent chance of preventing such an occurance.

In the funny car environment, such a valve could be linked to the firebottles as well. Several TAFC fires in recent memory - Tate Branch, Vern Moats, Kebin Kinsley, Hannes Wernhart among others stemmed from the fuel shutoff being ripped off the top of the pump in a blower explosion. Now there's some serious fuel for the fire. Such an inline valve would prevent the occurance of the pump continually feeding the fire.

Remote kill switches have been brought up. Before all of this happened, in a past conversation with Frank Hawley, the topic of remote kill switches like they have in monster trucks was brought up, and he cited he didn't want a driver to become dependent on someone at the line to cut them off. It keeps the driver responsible for their actions. At first I don't see this being misused, but in time, such switches could be misused, in that irresponsible drivers could rely on their crewchief to determine when to cut them off, and also I'm sure a saavy team could determine their competitors frequency and cause some problems as well. Personally, I just don't think it's the fix.

Mercury switches have been brought up as well. I'm not educated enough on those kinds of switches to know how accurate they can be. Or a proximity switch that monitors the nose height.

What's your thoughts?

2. Darren Smith

Darren Smith New Member

Will, just how are these Timers activated? Is it turned on once the car stages? Plus how expensive are these devices?

3. Woodchip

Woodchip Top Alcohol Dragster

I wonder if a pocket GPS or something similar can be integrated into a main fuel line shutoff switch which would activate when the car either gains altitude or starts heading in the wrong direction? I had some other idea I posted last year but the entire thread was deleted.

4. bryanbrown

bryanbrown Member

How would you decide the time on the timer. What if you had a bunch of tire shake, and were on and off the throttle? If could be bad if the timer shut off the fuel at wide open throttle down track if you had problems early. If it was, say, 6.5 seconds, how long did Shelly's run take, from the hit of the throttle? Will, you saw Snow's crash, how long was it from start untill he was back on the ground facing the starting line? I'm guessing it couldn't have been more than 3-4 seconds, which would still leave him with 2-3 seconds, or more, of potential power if the throttle hung. The mercury switch, or something like that, has to be the best idea. We have some lift equip. that have ignition cutoffs it the machine leans too far over. I don't know how it works, or (fortunately) if it works at all, but they don't look like they have mercury in them. When the top fuel cars were having blowover problems a few years back, was this issue ever addressed? I'd think that someone would already have a solution for this.

bryan brown

5. nitrohawk

nitrohawk New Member

As an engineering problem the solution is pretty simple. There have been for many years devices that can sence motion either azmuth or elevation that could be incorporated into the computer and control all functions necessary to shut the engine down, deploy parachutes, apply brakes, or to keep the car running straight down the track. The question is not how but how much money it would take and how much control do you want to give up to electronics. NHRA has a rule that says no telementry can be used so unless that rule is changed the remote kill idea is mute. Even if changed I doubt that by the time a crewmember reacts to the situation it would help much. As for the question of will shutting the magneto's down kill the engine I am not sure if you are in the lights if it would but can tell you that at any point up until the eight mile if the six shooter looses power it will immeadiatly kill the engine with the throttle wide open. I have experienced this not on purpose but by accident when the wire came off the six shooter battery. Will has raised some interesting questions concerning this problem. My son Chris Holley and myself are just finishing with building a new chassis for 06. The car is in the jig and we happen to be working on the wheelie bars (which we did not run on the old car). My thinking concerning the wheelie bars was that if they are strong enough that the car could not blow over as the wheelie bars at the very least would unload the rear tires and cause them to spin if enough pressure was generated against them. I know that Shelly used whellie bars and I assumed that the bars must have collapsed allowing the car to get high enough without unloading the tires. After looking at the bars we are building I realized that it would probably be possible even with the bars for the front end to get high enough for the air at great speed to blow the car over. The problem is the tire growth. When the tire changes heigth the wheelie bars clearance from the ground also changes allowing the front of the car to come much higher off the ground before any contact. Once the car gets up on the tire the bars are close to useless. Many of you might have figured all this out a long time ago but it left me with an empty feeling in my stomach. So what are the bars good for. As being used by some they will limit the squat of the tire at the hit of the throttle and can be used as a tuning aid. I am mainly speaking to the dragster issue. Havn't seen funny cars having a blowover problem. If they have a problem it is usually at the hit of the throttle or early in the run. It seems to me that the core of the problem lies with the driver.
    When do you get out of the throttle? If the front end of a dragster is several feet in the air at the 1/8 mile that should be a good indication. If the g force or tire shake is causing the driver to black out then maybe we should be looking at who it is happening to and why. I have as many questions as answers. If all this is boring you I apologise.
    Bob Holley

6. Will Hanna

Staff Member

hand switch

in talking to jeff wilson last night on this topic, he said he had discussed it with art gallant, who used to run jet cars. art told him with the jet cars, they had a positive switch on the steering wheel, and if they let off of the switch, it killed the car.

this would be real easy to incorporate on an a/fuel car, since the driver isn't shifting, but a little harder on a blown car. depending on your configuration, depends on where your hands are. if you have a dragster with left hand chute levers, i'm sure alot of people have their hands on the chute lever in high gear. so the left hand isn't on the steering wheel the entire run. if you did have one of these switches, you would be killing it with whatever device every run.

just another idea out there.

7. Jeff Wilson

Jeff Wilson New Member

Hand Switch

Will; Just a little clarification. The positive on switch is not a kill switch, it is a fuel kill switch that requires the button (switch) to be held on during a run. This way if you run with you hand on the chutes after going into high gear, a delay could be built in for the blown cars.(or a-fuel) The computer would basicly tell you how much delay to put in the box. NO SUPER COMP JOKES

8. Will Hanna

Staff Member

delay

One would think with my super comp experience I would have thought of the delay....

May need to work it into a throttle switch to make it activate only during the run, and not be necessary during pre run procedures, where you may have both hands off the wheel for periods of time.

9. nitrohawk

nitrohawk New Member

Will, I think you mentioned mercury switches. The thing about these switches is they sence position. If the driver was unconcious the results woud be when the front end came up it would kill the ignition. As soon as it did this and the car returned to the ground the engine would fire up with wide open throttle if the driver had his foot on the throttle. There are ways around this problem by using relays that will not reset. It would act like the rev limiter on the top fuel cars only they sence rpm not attitude. One problem with a lawn mower type shut off on the steering wheel is that all control functions durning the run would have to be with the same hand. If the driver was in a bad situation he might also not release the button. But that is another story.

10. jr.

jr. A face in the crowd, or am I?

why not use a fuel shutoff rather than a spark shut off? would there be a delay?

11. Will Hanna

Staff Member

time

one thing to look at is what we're trying to prevent and how long it takes for this to happen.

the specific accident is a high speed blowover where the car comes down facing the starting line, driver incapacitated at wide open throttle.

a 300" car usually doesn't go 'over' until at least 400-600'. that would be roughly the equivalent of a half pass under accelleration before the car would be airborne. on a hard pass, the car could be at the finish line at or around the low 6 second mark, more than likely mid six second zone.

i guess my question is would anyone see need for a timer any quicker than 7 seconds? fuel shutoff valve to kill fuel, ignition kill to prevent dieseling at wide open throttle.

question 2: is there a need for such a device on a funny car? while blowovers are far less likely and not as far down track. but, will such a device possibly prevent the unthinkable?

12. blownracer/a-fuel

If a engine is dieseling the ignition has nothing to do with it.Need a roll over swith to shut off fuel.The down side is no matter what it is,it will have to be the same on every car.Some sort of a long mercury switch would work.Obviously would have to be long and at a specific angle,to keep the tire shake from setting it off.Would also have to run a relay to keep the fuel valve off until it was manually reset.
    Would be worth the trouble thats for sure.

13. jr.

could you make a switch that would only allow the engine to be at WOT for a specific amount of time... then start cutting fuel? But also make it to where you could pedal the car and reset the amount of time?

14. Bob Kraemer

Bob Kraemer New Member

I thought of this a long time ago for funny cars.
    Install a spring loaded actuator for the fire bottles, fuel pump, ignition and chutes that has a melt-able link in it to set off the fire bottles etc. in case of a fire if the driver was unable to.

To answer jr's question you could install a time delay relay. The relay would have to have electronic contacts because of tire shake etc. The time delay relay is called a delay on break relay. In other words when (x) amount passes the timer times out and opens or closes sets of contacts.

Bob Kraemer

15. Will Hanna

Staff Member

mercury switch

is anyone familiar enough with these switches to know if they can even endure the severe vibrations of tireshake?

in my conversation with jeff wilson, a pressure switch was also brought up. if the air pressure under the body went positive, it would kill the engine.

proximity switch in the nose monitoring ride height?

a wheelie bar equiped dragster is not likely to break the wheelie bar and go into a blowover (past the point of driver control) prior to 400'. by that point it should have quite a bit of forward momentum. it will make it to the finish line in the mid to high 6 second zone, if not quicker depending on how far it went down track. the greater the distance traveled, the more it will go into shutdown.

what i'm getting at, how many blowover scenarios exist that 6.5 to 7 seconds on a timer would not cover?

maybe there is mercury switch technology out there that could take the beating these kind of cars would give it....

thats why we're looking for feedback....

16. nitrohawk

nitrohawk New Member

When an engine is diseling it is caused by an engine failure. The engine is running off the oil or oil and fuel that is being pulled from the pan into the manifold. There is really not much you can do about this situation but it rarely occurs. The other situation is that the engine because of the cyl. temp., compression, etc. it is has preignition that sets off the fuel charge in the cyl. There is not much you can do quickly to overcome this situation either except shut the fuel supply off. This situation does not seem to be a problem as it would have already showed itself up on top fuel engines. Looks to me like the easy solution is to put a timer or msd programer on that would activate fuel shutoff and ignition kill. The pro stock cars are already doing this with the ignition. I personally think if you are going to prevent something it should be what caused the situation in the first place which is the blowover. We are looking at this from a dragracers prespective with the tools that are familiar to us. That may be enough, but there are devices out there that could be used to shut the engine off if the attitude of the car (elevation) changed more than a predetermined number of degrees. I don't have the cost or havn't looked at how it could be intergrated into the system but will look into it.

17. wolffm

wolffm New Member

Hello, I am new to insideTopAlcohol.com and would like to point out that I am not directly involved with the sport, but I am a huge fan. I don't know much about the inner workings of these cars, but I thought I may add an outsiders point of view. Instead of just trying to shut the motor off (either by fuel, ignition or both), would it be possible to disengage the clutch once the RPMs hit some ceiling value? I assume this could pose a problem if the car was just to spin the tires, but at the same time, I would think that since the weight of the car is still putting some load on the engine, that there would be a difference in "tire-spin" high-rpm and "absolutely-no-load" high-rpm. So basically, instead of trying to kill the motor, try to disconnect it from the tires. Ultimately, whatever the best solution is, I'm sure there is going to be some situation where tireshake, a "wheels-up" launch, or something else could trigger the car to shut off. However, I think the odds of these scenarios would be small... even then, I think any team would rather have the round loss than the loss of any loved ones, crew, or fans. Thanks.
    Matt

18. ATC Racing

ATC Racing New Member

In APBA's premier class of outboard tunnel boats Formula One,SST120. It is required for all boats to be equiped with an inverted kill switch.This switch consists of a steel ball encased in a cylinder about 8'' long at the top of the cylinder is a toggle switch "ON" position down. there in a small window at the top of the cylinder for a visual check of the switch position and to reset if necessary.
    I have driven these boats. They turn @ 4 g's plus! they are as violent on rough water as some tire shake, and as most of you know,prone to blow over. I have blown one of these over above 100 mph. it is nothing nice and like the dragsters, happens so fast that there is no catching it. Just the blow over itself carries g forces in unnatural directions to forward movement that it is very disorenting.
    A switch like this could easily kill mag and fire an air cylinder to shut off fuel in one switch.

19. jr.

^ may be a link with some information, also pricing?

20. ATC Racing

ATC Racing New Member