Injected Alcohol Ignition

Discussion in 'PSI Superchargers Tech Questions' started by alkynewbie, May 4, 2011.

1. alkynewbie

alkynewbie New Member

I'm setting out on my first alcohol build. This will be a BBC injected alky deal, no blower. Was wondering whether I need a mag or if a regular digital MSD ignition will fire a non-blown alky motor sufficiently. Thanks.

2. Frontenginedragsters

Mag or MSD

I run a Mallory mag in mine but a I have a few customers running 7A box and work great.
    With the MSD stuff you can tie it all in to your tranny brake and two step if your equiped.
    Matt

3. Vhodoo Racing

Vhodoo Racing New Member

7AL3 with matching coil, works a treat and all the rev limiters your need plus an RPM activated switch...

Cheers Pete

4. SoDak

SoDak Active Member

We run Mallory super mags on our blown engines, but the NA guys that I do work for I encourage them to use MSD like the 10+ or now the 8+, for the money and the things you can do with them.

Some of the guys are running MSD 44's on there NA engines and I'm sure its not worse just not sure its worth the $

5. alkynewbie

alkynewbie New Member

Thanks for the feedback. Good to hear that the MSD 7 will fire an alky engine as I've used it in the past on a NA top sportsman deal so I'm familiar with it.

6. Dave Koehler

Dave Koehler Member

I have come full circle over the years and will just say that if you haven't spent the money yet seriously consider the 12 or 20 MSD mag.

Edit: If you have a max effort engine go Mag.
    If it's a bracket car it doesn't matter but the mag is less complex.

http://www.koehlerinjection.com

Last edited: May 4, 2011
  7. alkynewbie

alkynewbie New Member

Thanks Dave. You've thickened the plot on this. Well, I'm going top dragster racing when I get this project done. So, I'm planning to target around 1500-1600 hp on a big cubic inch (700+) BBC deal. So I'm putting consistency and parts longevity at the top of the list. Would the mag be the better way to go for such a setup and given the fact that I'm not wanting to lean too heavily on the motor? Thanks again.

8. WANNABE

WANNABE New Member

I have run max effort alcohol for many years. And for about 15 of those, we ran nothing but standard pro stock ignition systems. (We currently run the holley annihilators)

But in the fight for mags, they start so much easier than the MSD and the like. SO MUCH EASIER!
    Never seen the difference on the time slip, but if I were to start again tomorrow, I would probably go with the mag. But I have too much R&D in individual cylinder timing and that jazz to go back now.
    And the larger the engine and the like, the more toward the mag I would lean.

9. Cpt Kludge

Cpt Kludge Member

I run a Mallory SMII on our alky injected SBF and Spud Miller just freshened up a SMIV for the 572" injected Arias we are building. I like the mags for the simplicity and reliability. Used ones are readily available and inexpensive to the point we can get two used mags, serviced and ready to go for about the price of one new one. That way we can keep a spare on hand without breaking the bank, just in case.
    Steve