Who will be next?

Discussion in 'Pit Buzz' started by wolfgang, Dec 10, 2003.

1. ch3no2

ch3no2 New Member

I think most blown guys did want performance gains as opposed to slowing down A-fuel cars. I'm sure if you ask any racer he or she would rather go faster if given the choice. NHRA just did what they wanted to. They think there saving people money by not allowing new technology, but people are just pushing there old stuff harder,hence, you have more oil downs.

2. was R4K

was R4K Member

the same thing is happening in top fuel- NHRA stopped all engine technology to try and save John Force etc. money! ha! allan johnson wanted to do a complete new engine design- they are restricted in blower etc. So lets not think that NHRA is doing something special for/to Alki/a/f and ta/fc racers- Everyone gets their turn (remember pro stock truck) :(

3. showard

showard New Member

Dean,

During the meeting between NHRA and TARA at Indy, the NHRA representatives stated that the BAD's would not be allowed to utilize any change which would result in an increase in expenditures.

NHRA requested the TARA present options which would address the widening gap between the two types of cars (BAD/AFD). There were two options presented by TARA, allow the blown cars to speed up, or slow down the a-fuel cars. NHRA would not, in any way consider the first option. Many racers stated they would shoulder the increase in cost if it would closer align the performance level of the BAD's and AFD's. But, NHRA would not consider it.

Thanks,
    Shelly

4. The Zone

The Zone Member

Shelly, While I understand this is what transpired, I still feel that for the past two years, there has been alot more statements from the blown contingent that we want parity, but we don't want it to cost us anymore, because it is already way more expensive to run these cars that A/Fuelers. And while that statement is true also, the fact is, that if the gizmo was allowed, the boost is put to the car quicker and there is a point where the higher rpm's with the gizmo will not give more boost so the actual rpm's will possibly decrease and combine that with the lock up clutch, and in theory, you should have a faster car with lower rpms. In the long run, it would possibly be cheaper.

Dean

5. Mr Scary

Mr Scary New Member

Dean, I know a few Alky Dragboats that run the Gizmo, they say's it's night and day over the "D" blower. Tim Stokes ran a pair of 5.30's at Firebird, I think his quickest with a D was a 5.51 or .52. If he ran quicker than that, I missed it. Norm Grimes told me a couple of years ago that it was worth .12 to .15 hun.!

6. showard

showard New Member

Dean,

I'm not speaking for TARA in my responses to your posts.

In my previous post, I was simply responding to the statement that the BAD participants are solely interested in slowing down the a-fuel cars and that they're also not receptive to any other solution. That is a misconception.

Personally, I'm not going to debate the parity topic. I've stated hundreds of times, we (my team)would be more than happy to make whatever changes necessary to improve the performance level of our BAD. I would love to have a "C" and any other improvements which would allow narrowing of the gap between the BAD's and AFD's.

I don't blame the a-fuel people for not wanting to slow down, I wouldn't want to either. I know they've worked to accomplish what they have. But, if anyone out there thinks the BAD's don't have the desire to run faster and quicker, they're completely misinformed.

I've previously stated all of this numerous times and now all of you can rehash this over and over if you wish.

Thanks,
    Shelly

7. Bob Holley

Bob Holley New Member

Good post Shelly.
    I have never met a dragracer that didn't want to go faster or quicker. In my openion NHRA has reached a decesion to restrict the performance in this class. An as another stated it is not only in this class. At one time top fuel was the testing ground for new ideas with only safety regulations in place. Now look at the rule book and you will see all kinds of restrictions that hold or reduce performance. What NHRA's goals are is to have a race where there are no oildowns, no breakage, and parity for all contestants. They are looking at all aspects of this from a promoters point of view. This is the real world we are trying to compete in. Somewhere between these to goals is a place where we can all be happy. NHRA is like the federal goverment. They want to control every aspect of our lives and stiffel inovation!

8. dmwells

dmwells New Member

I don't think anyone of the BAD's that is really trying to be competitive would have turned down the chance to run the C-blower. But here is a new twist how about letting the BAD'S run a low percentage of Nitro then lets go play ball! not a lot of cost here, just a thought! Dave

9. Bob Holley

Bob Holley New Member

Thats an interesting thought but NHRA would never go for that. They do not want the class going faster.

10. dmwells

dmwells New Member

I know that & you know that but what are they going to do when and if the AF/D's ever show their true potential? Dave

11. Bob Holley

Bob Holley New Member

90% rule----more weight-----???

12. Funnycarbob

Funnycarbob Top Dragster

I think that NHRA was not happy with the speeds and times, all AFD's and BAD getting close to TF. To the average fan the cars look alike. The corp. sponsors may have had a consern that TF cars would get confused with BAD's

13. Hokes Racing

Hokes Racing Moderator

I know they look the same but It would be hard not to tell the different one runs 5.50 to 5.20 @ 2.50 to 270 most of the time the other runs 4.50s to 4.40s at 320 to 330 and shakes the ground your standing on. To me that would be easy to tell a part
    Lanny [​IMG]

14. Mr Scary

Mr Scary New Member

Lanny, I've been at Denver walking the pits while the Alky cars were pulling to the lanes. I could overhear people say, are these Top Fuel? The amateur fan doesn't know the difference.