who is next to step to the chevrolet engine

Discussion in 'PSI Superchargers Tech Questions' started by jdgmntl1, Nov 25, 2003.

1. jdgmntl1

jdgmntl1 New Member

ok, guys lets start a fight. what is Rob from ontario(the one with that great winning streak) got that we don't besides a canted valve cylinder head? His combo works man does it work. Is it just the heads (re:chevrolet in design) or is his team just glued together and doing a vulcan mind meld (cut me some slack I grew up with cbc in either english or french)before the race on all the data they acccumulated during the last pass? they need to be applauded on this past season but lets put our heads together(pun intended) and figure this out. Any ideas?

2. flash

flash top alcohol

the cnc billet block solved a lot of the issues they had with the cast blocks that were failing in this combination. but is this the engine combination that pat austin used ,that they purchased from the austins-then made it work with the roots setup?

3. Danny Humphreys

4. was R4K

was R4K Member

sounds like the IHRA funny car champ to me- RON A THATS WHO!

5. Nathan Sitko - 625 TAD/TAFC

We took a look at Rob Atchison's motor combo during the National event up here in Edmonton, man what a wild deal, sure hauls some ass!

6. Les Mellows

Les Mellows New Member

Thanks , judgmntl1 we did accomplish a lot of great things this year and we are planning to repeat our steady performance and see how many mad Hemi owners will improve their programs. To the comment from Flash , to a degree you are correct that we and all others that ran the aj481x noticed the Rodeck block was undoubtably a very weak link (all others found the same was true even the promods). But in fairness we were green and very determined to make the program work sooner than later and at times we created or own problems . To the comment that Flash made that this is Austins combination , you are very wrong in assuming that . We ran a 481x at the same time Pat and Walt were still using it and until the overdrive rules had changed and necessity forced them back to a Hemi we had our motors and they had theirs (same animal but different colours) Bob Atchison had a couple of Ideas he wanted to try for our combination (They worked by the way !) and we had a couple of fuel systems and blowers we wanted to try in the off season, so Rob called Walt to Hire the Dyno as others we know had some success testing on the Dyno with the right operator. Rob and Bob had built a great friendship with Walt and Pat during that time and they were hospitable and answered any questions we had. Walt had decided by then to change combinations and offered the parts he had For Sale. The Roots to Ice auger set ups are day and night different, get a 481x and try it , try a Pro Mod combination while you are at it!
    Walt,Pat and the whole Austin family are avid supporters of ours and Rob has talked to Walt on numerous occasions when we have started to get crazy trying new stuff. Walt does not mind at all telling us that he tried that before and it won't work or saying I didn't know you weren't doing that, that probably has straightened the learning path for us, as you know he is one of the best tuners ever and is very innovative. If he gave us his deal with logbook, set ups and the combination as Flash had Mentioned in error we would have packed up and taken that 5.50 combination over to annoy the NHRA hemi guys ( also would have saved 50-75g's and never hurt any parts if we bought a proven combination from Walt, but he didn't know the current roots deal, he knew Whipple/P.S.I). Also as a note, we have sold 8 or 9 motors but like Walt, We Don't sell the farm just the Motor out of the TRACTOR !! :D

[ November 26, 2003, 08:21 PM: Message edited by: Les Mellows ]

7. flash

flash top alcohol

I knew you ran the billet block-and that solved some problems in that area.but I was asking a question about the walt austin connection. not stating a fact.you are the IHRA world champion and I will not tarnash that great accomplishment that you and your team have accomplishment.good luck next year-but remember everybody loves to go after #1 car.

8. jdgmntl1

jdgmntl1 New Member

Hello Mr. Mellows,
    My name is JD Dennis(aka JDGMNTL) I had the pleasure of meeting you at the Rockies. I was the tuner that was so green that I couldn't tell you where the high speed jet was, yeah that guy. After watching lots of guys learning tidbits from some pretty incredible tuners and asking few but pertinent questions we as a team had a year that suprized us and others we gained a modicum of respect from our peers(at least locally) and aspirations of making gains next season equaling this years I posed a question to see if any other free thinkers have thought about the possibility of the mighty hemi falling ill to a bad case of rat poison. How did you even think of this combo? Was it just a desire to be differnt or could you see that the combustion process was inherently the key to making the car pull so hard mid track? It seemed that during the run you could run your opponent down. I am still green and would like to progress forward and answer to these questions to give food for thought would be greatly appreciated. Thank you JDGMNTL.
    p.s. It(the jet) was 100.

9. Prospector

Prospector Member

that is a real sweet combo......