what timing light and starting point for timing

Discussion in 'PSI Superchargers Tech Questions' started by hotrodharlkey, Sep 18, 2013.

1. hotrodharlkey

hotrodharlkey New Member

have a 540bbc..746 lift..brodix 2-plus heads[ported&flowed]11.8 comp[static]..12-71 at 27%OD[playing safe for now for testing]..mallory 3 mag;;fuel sytem flowed by spud[990 pump]b&u hat..pg with 10" blower converter[1;80 plant]4;10 rear gears;;;;;;;;;
    what would be good start for my timing?
    have a old timing light from back in old days that hooks to car battery and #1 plug[can i use this to set my timing?[have degree wheel on crank hub]

wanting to go to local outlaw 1/8 mile track sat and do some testing and get myself fam. with car

2. SoDak

SoDak Active Member

Timing light is fine, I like a buzz box. 31-34°

3. hotrodharlkey

hotrodharlkey New Member

i have a buzz box also;;you saying you perfer to set your timing with buzz box then.

4. SoDak

SoDak Active Member

I like the buzz box but I'm setup & comfortable with it now, the first time I used it I hated it. Now I can set/check the timing without using fuel, without making engine parts hot & by myself.

5. Comax Racing

Comax Racing Member

I also use a Buzz box, I notice however that after being out of the game for 5 or so years my "feel" is off a bit. I buzzed the timing on my engine @ 31deg and with a timing light it came out at 29deg. I prefer to use both (for now:eek:)

I have an old Ferret self power light that works perfect. Nothing fancy.

Corey

6. SoDak

SoDak Active Member

Do you use a beam style torque wrench to preload the rotor? this takes most of the "feel" out of the equation.

7. Comax Racing

Comax Racing Member

Actually the way Spud told me to do it, he said just pulling back on the rotor by hand would be plenty. Maybe that's my 2 deg issue.

Can you explain the torque wrench procedure? How much torque do you put to get things preloaded properly?

Corey

8. hotrodharlkey

hotrodharlkey New Member

i like the ideal of using the buzz box[as was stated.saves fuel and wear on eng]would love to find a detail write-up on how to set timing correctly and dead on by using a bud box;;new to the blown alcohol eng. deal[my first]so trying to learn all the tuning tricks and maintance that i can before i start racing car;;low budget so trying to learn before i make mistakes instead of the old way;;;learn by your mistakes;;way of doing things..i'm sure still going make them thats going cost me parts but hoping to cut down on that as much as i can..

9. bandit496

bandit496 Member

I think somewhere in Spud's directions he says that the buzz box method is better than a light because with the light there is some "delay" and that timing usually comes up different by 2 to 4 degrees. The 30-34 degrees seems to be a good point for BBC. I have been as high as 40 when we were using Vertex. JW

10. Comax Racing

Comax Racing Member

This the info I used when I was learning to use a Buzz box.

http://www.goodvibesracing.com/buzz_box_tech.htm

Corey

11. SoDak

SoDak Active Member

http://www.sassyengines.com/mallorymagnetorotorlg.jpg

I found this pic showing Sassy's, I built my own but same diff...

Dad would set our timing, then I would check it and come up with a couple degrees difference so we went to the torque wrench preload so we were consistent.