??? Tire Shake ???

Discussion in 'PSI Superchargers Tech Questions' started by frank70, Nov 22, 2008.

1. frank70

frank70 NOSTALGIA DRAGSTER

I have a 225" nostalgia dragster with a 540" chevy, 14-71 High Helix Kobelco, Powerglide with a 5,500 stall converter,3.89 rear end gear, and a Goodyear 33/14.5-15 with no liners on a wheel with no beadlocks. The tire is screwed to the wheel. I cant seem to get this thing to stop shaking the tires. I dont like the idea of taking timing away at the hit so im looking for another possible answer. What leave rpm seems to work? Would possibly putting liners in the tire help to not make it wad up so hard? Maybe beadlocks? What tire pressure? It currently will 60' an average 1.05 while shaking and has run 6.81 out the back door with the blower 12% over. It seems the higher the leave rpm or the more power we make the worse it gets! Any information would be helpfull!!!!
    :confused:

2. jim phillips

jim phillips ta/fc

Your Probley Wadding The Tire Way To Much And It Cant Get Up On The Tire Quick Enough Liners Will Help But Its More Rotating Mas I Would Try More Air Preasure First. But I Would Just Get The Liners

Liners--45#in The Liner And 5-1/2# In The Tire Or 50#in Liner And 4-1/2# In The Tire

Beadlocks 6-1/2#

Ps------------- It Is A Lot Safer With Liners Would You Like To See Some Pictures Of My Blown 47 Fiat With Screwed Wheels That Got Cut In Half From Hitting The Wall At Us-41 From The Slick Coming Away From The Rim From Low Air Preasure And Was Told Over And Over That I Needed To Put Liners In I Thought What Everyone I New Were Screwing Them But They Were Still Bracket Racing And Werent Running Big Blown Motors With A Lot Of Horse Power

Good Luck Jim

3. jody stroud

jody stroud ZOMBIE Top Dragster

Frank, what's up?!! How do you like my old FED? Horton said he saw it in Ca. this year. My blown RED would shake the tires all the time until I went with MT tires. I tried Goodyear and Hooiser with no luck. Sheppards Race Cars in GA. can beadlock your wheels for you, MT tires work real well with beadlocks. Like Jim said try more air in your tires, and also try leaving at around 3500 and see what happens. How high is your wheelie bar set? If you keep it low it will help you get some wheel speed off the line. Horton always told me that most tire shake was from not enough HP, maybe turn the blower up some. When I ran the car with the 632 motor I was having trouble with wheelies and tire shake until comp. racer Frank C. told me to lower whellie bar to appox 1.5 in. Hope this helps, let us know how it comes out. Jody Stroud TD 9325. Also, post some pic's of the car, I'd love to see it again... I miss that car!!!

4. frank70

Jody, love the car been having alot of fun except for the tire shake LOL! I will get some pics sent out to you!! We have tried lowering the wheelie bar to unload the tire and that made it worse! We are currently running it at 3" off the ground. Maybe thats not enough? I have tried several air psi from 6 to 8lbs. The best it worked was at at 6 1/2lbs. Have tried leave rpm between 3,200 and 3,800 RPM. The only time it all ever worked was on a junk race track Real hot and slick left at 4,200 rpm 6 1/2lbs left perfect and 60' 1.01while black tracking. Also we are not running tubes in the tires just a tire and wheel. Could runnnig a tube with 40lbs of air in theme maybe help get back up on the tire? Weve given up on trying to slow the car down to run a 7.0 index so we are going to try to step up and run 6.30 index next year. Maybe we just had the motor backed down so far it couldnt rotate the tire but it sure hit it hard.

5. jody stroud

Do you have Hortons number? Maybe he can help. Turn it up!!!! No such thing as too much power. Should run 6.30's with no problem. I've been 6.17 with my big duke motor in a 2060 lb RED. Have you tried MT tires, I swear I could not get my spitzer down the track until I switched to the MT's. According to Horton don't try a 16 in tire, gives to much bite with all the static weight over the rear end, how much timing are you running, and also you could put a couple of flats in your BV to richen it at the hit. I run at 28 deg timing, seems to work for me at the world finals with a 3.89 rear gear and 1.80 low gear leaving at 4000 rpms at 31% od I had a .924 or .934 60ft.

6. frank70

Jody if i could get Hortons number from you that would be great. He is a really nice guy and was glad to meet him at the track this year. I have not tried the mickey thompson tires. I tried the Hoosiers and went to the Goodyear. Im definitly looking forward to wicking the motor up. We have 30 in the mag and only 12 in the blower right now!! :D

7. jody stroud

Frank, try 864-338-9942. You'll have to try a couple of times to get him, semi-retired. try retarding your cam appox. 6 deg. A friend of mine had me do it and it helped my setup alot, also try 26 to 28 deg.

8. jim phillips

jim phillips ta/fc

I Think That You Are Down On Power As You Stated It Left Good On A Slick Track So That Tells Me On A Good Hookin Track You Will Need To Leaver Harder To Get The Wheel Speed Up Either More Od , Or Timing Or Are Leave At A Higher Rpm

9. frank70

Jim that exactly what ive been thinking!! Seems Logical to me. Im pretty new to this whole blown thing and tire shake so all the advise sure helps me out. We will definitly give that a try!! Thanks to all the help guys!!!! :D

10. frank70

What do you guys think about putting a tube in the tire? Any thoughts?

11. pete9857

pete9857 Member

tire shake

Frank, try launching at 4400. Are you running an air throttle? It must be cold in S.C., Jody's posting more often!! LOL

12. jim phillips

jim phillips ta/fc

frank you really should see these pictures of my fiat cut in half its just me but i will never run a car without liners are beadlocks agian luckly i didnt get hurt other than my billfold good luck

13. frank70

Pete, No we are not running a throttle controller due to class rules. But we are steping up next year and can run anything we want in this new class so I am going to get one on the car this winter for sure!! That leads me to blade opening speed im guessing you want to opens the blades as fast as possible right?

14. frank70

Jim, Would like to see those pics!!

15. pete9857

pete9857 Member

blades

Frank, on our dragster we open the blades just enough to be under 2-step setting as not to flood engine with fuel, then blades open immediately when transbrake releases. Works great for us and very consistant

16. pete9857

pete9857 Member

fiat

jim, post pics on here so we all can see them.

Glenn

17. jim phillips

jim phillips ta/fc

i have tried posting a picture on here before dont know how

i wasnt tring to show off the pictures of the crash just wanting to let you know what could happen with the screws in the wheels the fiat went mid to lower 6s over 200

pm me with your e-mail i can send them to you

18. Ron C

Ron C Jr. Dragster

I agree, seems your not slipping the tires any and it's just dead hooking which will not work. Need to apply enough power to have some controlled slippage (easier said than done). You may need to get starting line launch rpm up into the high's 3K's or 4K's to get it done. I'd also lower that wheely bar some more.
    I think you talked with my son Curtis about running with us next year. You'll have a lot of fun running with the "Top Eliminator West" group next year. It'll be a crowd pleaser having a front engined digger running off with a funny car, rear engined digger or blown altered. Welcome aboard:).
    Blessings.........Ron Clevenger "Creekside Racing Ministry"

19. nitrohaulic

nitrohaulic Bracket Racer

Was talking with Brendan Murry a couple years ago at Bowling Green and he told me he had the same 9" street gear in his blown nitro FED for two years because the narrow tires slip. When I told him wide tired funny car, he said use a pro gear and mag it often because "You're gonna hammer the gear."

I remember watching a huge tired, blown alcohol BBC FED shake VIOLENTLY while wheelstanding at that same event. Right off the line.

Fits what Frank Hawley said in a National Dragster column, that you avoid shake by applying more power to keep the tires slipping longer before they hook.

I think one tire hooks before the other, that one winds up on the wheel a little, then the other tread hooks. All the power goes to the ground via the tight tire, it breaks loose, then it goes to the other, on and on. I think slipping them further allows them to both hook more gradually and evenly.

20. jim phillips

jim phillips ta/fc

the tire shake is caused from being under powered not being able to jump up on the tire it goes into shake same happens at the gear change if its under power it will shake some time you can drive through it sometimes you cant

also it can go into shake if it starts to spin to much and when it tries to catch up the tires start to cavitate wadding back and rolling up the center shaking your brains out

sometimes with the automatics if you can knock timing out at the hit then ramp it back in it will work better