Taylor Motorsports Parachute Tethers approved

Discussion in 'Pit Buzz' started by Will Hanna, Jan 13, 2011.

1. Dennis Taylor

Dennis Taylor Authorized Merchant

There is no SFI spec. for this product at this time. To the best of my knowledge if a spec. comes down the pike, our product will remain the same.

2. Chi Town Brown

Steering wheel disconnect, Front and Rear wheels, Underbody paint, Arm restraints, Underwear, Helmet supports, Dampeners, Fuel cells, Head and neck restraints, Driveshafts, Roll bar padding, Top fuel wings just to name a few that don't need a recert.

3. Randy G.

Randy G. Top Alcohol

Well, now you've done it....

4. nitrodude

nitrodude Nostalgia Top Fuel

tethers

s
    So , along a less abrasive path ,

Please , do the chute tethers "not" have an SFI tag on them when shipped ?

Chi , you forgot Burst Panels , lol
    And I think Top Fuel Wings have a recert !

5. Sean Bellemeur

Sean Bellemeur Jr. Dragster

One of the first things that came to my mind is not necessarily if the straps will work, but what the race car will do once the parachutes hit with only the tethers attached. The reason I bring this up is because LOTS of testing, theories, and changes have been made over the years for chute mounts both for strength and stability of the car. If anyone has ever had a chute do something out of the ordinary such as wrap under the wheelie bar then blossom, or perhaps tear a panel out, maybe a big gust of wind...it's not a fun ride. The car literally has a mind of its own.

6. Chi Town Brown

LOL OOPPSSS Don't worry...It's an ITA Secret. Nobody with Authority in SFI or the HRA’s reads these message boards anyway. :rolleyes:

7. Jim Peters

Jim Peters New Member

Wrap it up

I just wonder how much fun it will be when 1 of our shoots wraps itself around the rearend. Yes we have launchers and boxes pointed up, those teathers should be alot of fun trying to untangle the shroud lines after those experienced track people roll my chutes into a BALL oh goodie:D

8. aafa760

aafa760 Member

Tether and Chutes

Dennis
    Are these tethers small enough to get two through the chute eyes plus the .50 dia spool that the bolts must pass through?
    Or are we going to have to buy new chutes with larger eyes for all these retention devices?

Bryan

9. Dennis Taylor

They should work with all existing chute manufactures.

10. Inspector 12

Inspector 12 Member

Sounds like you want to jump out and wrap your own chutes so you can be sure it is done to your standards??:p

11. Jim Peters

Jim Peters New Member

Trust Me

Yes Carey I try to get out as fast as I can and do that but it doesn't always work that way. Have you been riding your Harley in the snow agian don't forget your helmet :rolleyes:

12. Inspector 12

Inspector 12 Member

Hi Jim, no haven't ridden the Harleys since November. I am taking one of them to Latus in the morning (1/22/11) to have my SE 120R engine installed and tuned. It should be a rocket.

Hope you are having a good New Year.
    Kerry

13. Bill Naves

Bill Naves Member

dt

anyone receive their Taylor chute tethers yet?. looking for feedback,,how they fit, mounting headsup,material/sleeve,ideal length etc.

14. Dennis Taylor

Bill, we have been shipping them every day for the last week or so.

15. Bill Naves

Bill Naves Member

Tethers

Dennis, thanks for posting,I wish someone would post some feed back. I'll order mine on monday, was hoping to know what to ask or check on my car before that.Has anyone found them short?Are they bolting to a single bolt point for each strap? Just get a longer bolt?To both sides of the plate or both ends on the inside of 1 bolt?I must be over thinking this, but I've seen body panel strap bolted to the tree mounts, when the panel pops, the straight line tug cuts a pretty slot in the body..I've seen those 1/8 steel cables so long that the panel flies into the injector and holds the throttle open..I guess they didn't think to ask! We seem to be the only consumers that don't need instructions.not that we'd read them...but thats another story!

16. Fuel Cars

Fuel Cars AA/AM

Might be helpful if pictures of a "properly" mounted tether were posted.

17. Sal Ramos

Sal Ramos New Member

Yes you'll need to measure from the safety device, i.e. parachute, to the mouting point on your driving harness, i.e. safety belts. Once you have established that measurement, make sure you add an 1" or 2" for the intial hit. I'm not sure about speeds in alcohol, but when I tested yesterday in the Top Fuel Car I purposely left the chutes unattached; the pass was at 354.92 mph (1000') and they give you quite a "tug" when they hit.

Live Fast Stay Young,
    Sal

18. Dave Germain

Dave Germain New Member

Sal Ramos post

What happened to Sal Ramos' post. I thought it was early for April first but it was funny. Dave Germain

19. alt 6153

alt 6153 Member

Did poor Sal get the axe again. It was funny as hell.

20. willy200

willy200 Member

How to mount Taylor Motorsport Chute tethers

We have purchased two parachute tethers from Taylor Motorsport to mount on a Top Alcohol Funny Car but are wondering if anyone could please post some pictures of how these tethers actually mount and where they bolt to.
    I understand that you are supposed to use two tethers going through both chute eyes but it would be great if someone could please explain exactly how these mount.
    We are using a sheetmetal diff housing. Do the mounting points go through the bolt holes holding the alloy plates to the sheetmetal housing or do they mount where the other end of the alloy plate mounts to the chassis upright?