Steel Rods Over 20# Boost?

Discussion in 'PSI Superchargers Tech Questions' started by BEDNAR1320, Jan 17, 2016.

1. craig moss

craig moss Member

It was made in the mid 80's. It'd billet 3 piece. As far as I know it was a one off deal. I'm sure it snit efficient per today's standards, but it's good enough for what we do in a boat bracket deal. We run a 6 sec 1000' with plenty left in the tank. The boat has a 5.50 in it but that would get us disqualified. We need a capsule to go faster than a 5.70. We get a 125' shot at the beam from a holding rope. That gives us time to get on plane before the beam. The idle is no problem,

2. promodracer

promodracer Member

Wow that hat is cool. Who makes that

3. craig moss

craig moss Member

It's a one off deal. It was made in Kansas in the late 80"s. That's all I know.

4. rskrause

rskrause New Member

I'm not an expert, but I am experiencing no problems with Callie's Ultra H beams and 24 psi.Three years though not many passes.

5. SoDak

SoDak Active Member

I've often wondered why we are running aluminum rods that we need to change so often.

What's wrong with steel? They last longer, they are cheaper and they don't require so much block clearancing.

6. jpbr549

jpbr549 New Member

Ive had two engines come apart with callies ultra rods. Really pissed off right now.. my buddies came apart also same damn rods. same weekend he was runing 19# I was running 29#. I personally think they re a joke!!

7. craig moss

craig moss Member

Oliver heavyweight with the bolt upgrade. The bolts cost half as much as the callies rods with bolts. Sorry to hear your troubles. Good luck going forward !!

8. Extremeengines

Extremeengines New Member

Steel rods are all I use in DYO blower drag motors. Customers AJ481X door car, Kobelco superman at 32 psi boost 6.61 at 215 - motor stayed in the car our whole season on the same bearings (season before also on one set of bearings - never pulled the sump). Other customer door cars BBC 6.68 at 205, Kobelco 32 psi. BBC 6.65 at 207, Kobelco - this car has over 250 runs on the same rods and rod bolts. BBC Dragster 6.72, SBC door car 7.09 .........Never hurt a rod bearing and never had a rod failure. All customer cars run the whole season on the same rod and main bearings and all over 30 psi boost. Some steel rods I wont even consider using, same with some bearings.

9. sammy christian

Same story here, Oliver.
    25-30# w/4.75" crank, whole season, bearings still look new and stay tight in the rod/cap when it does get pulled.

10. lucky2wd

lucky2wd Member

anybody got a spare 6.700 Oliver for bbc