Share your scams here.....maybe we can learn from other's scams...

Discussion in 'Classifieds Buyer/Seller Feedback' started by Will Hanna, Oct 29, 2008.

1. Will Hanna

Will Hanna We put the 'inside' in Top Alcohol
    Staff Member

Here's a chance for some of you that may have been scammed, heard of scams, or avoided them to post your stories.

There will be one strict rule: NO NAMES MENTIONED! DON'T EVEN ELUDE TO SOMEONE!

Maybe we can use this to save someone else the grief. Also a good place to list the safest ways to exchange money on used parts.

AS ALWAYS, COVER YOUR ASS!

2. roc lobster

roc lobster New Member

Just recieved a notice from the company I work for of a visa/ mc card scam. An individual will call concerning a fraudulent charge on your card and will ask very simple questions, It seems to be legit because they will have all your info except the three little numbers on the back--The way they ask is to verify that you have the card in hand.. Credit card companys dont do this because they have all that info already.. Hang up and call the number on the back of your card to report and possibly give them a phone number to which these theives call from.. Just fyI Thanks

3. john348

john348 Top Alcohol

mine from today

Dear friend,
    I am interested in purchasing your for (item -) Hope is still in good condition and the the price. yew you edge get back with attach picture for me to look it condition and payment will Be made out by has cashier cheque also include the last price and with your full name and address with your personal phon number for me to contact you back with it, so that the payment Be made out to you immediately. I will Be looking forward to hearing from you.
    God bless you
    Best Regard
    m_carter_001@yahoo.com

Hello
    Thanks for your urgently mail,i am ok with your asking price and you don,t need to bother or strees yourself about the shippment cos i have a reliable shipper that will come to your location for the pickup of the Blower, injector, manifold and misc parts to my house in holland and also my shipper will be assisting me in clearing and picking some of my goods that i bought from other buyers down to my house i will like to have your full information for the payment So that i can forward it to my Accountact to issue you payment, kindly mail me back in Time,with your full detail,I will like if you can confirm the following details to me for the cheque to be send to you within a limited time we have to conclude this transaction.
    NOTE confirm the Details to me?
    Name:.......................................................
    Address:....................................................
    zipcode.....................................................
    country.....................................................
    Telephone Number.................
    and mobile number for easy
    communication......................................
    Hope my statem ent is stated clearly.
    Awaiting to hear from you asap.
    Best regards

4. Bottlefed

Bottlefed New to Blowers

Here is new deal they are doing in our area.

Your wife goes to the store on the way out she gets in the car and starts it up as she starts to back up she sees a large note stuck to her back window she puts the car in park leaving it running and her purse on the front seat. As she gets out of the car and goes around back to remove the note our "Hero" jumps in the car and drives away with the car and the purse.

The reason they are doing it this way is that this is simple auto theft as opposed to strong armed robbery or carjacking, in most areas this crime will be plea bargained to probation.

I know this is not car related but who knows if your wifes car gets stolen you may not go racing for a while :mad:

Richard Gavle

5. Ken Sitko

Ken Sitko Super Comp

Hey look, I can afford to race now, I won a million British pounds!

your email address as indicated wasdrawn and attached with serial numbers FTS/8070337201/06 and drew the lucky numbers 15-22-24-48-50-37(30) which subsequently won you 1,000,000.00 (One Million Great Britain Pounds).from the U.K.The draws registered as Draw number one was conducted in Brockley,London United Kingdom on the 28th January 2009.Find below the details of the Claims dept and contact him with the
    following details for verifications: FULL NAME FULL ADDRESS
    NATIONALITY AGE OCCUPATION MOBILE/TEL EPHONENUMBER DATE OF WINNING AWARD SEXAGENT NAME Mr Andrew (Claims Agent)
    AGENT E MAIL mrandrew102@hotmail.com
    ThanksMrs Rita Shawn
    U.K PROMO ANNOUNCER

6. NITROBANDIT1

NITROBANDIT1 LOST IN SPACE

scammers beware

ive done a lot of wheelin and dealing parts and have been very fortunate to deal with a lot of reputable people. unfortunately everybody doesnt pay for their parts like i do. i am always wary of sending parts in the mail, but usually dont have a problem with ups cod, specifying cashiers check or bank money order, takes a while to get your money, but works. unfortunately i did some advertising in the national dragster and got somebody out of florida interested in my stuff. im in san diego, so cant get a face to pick it up, ok so i send the stuff through the us post office. i say cashiers check or money order ok. no problem. package gets there, they take a bad personal check on a closed account, no drivers licence number or anything and give the guy my stuff. of course the check bounces and i call the bank, closed account and this guys been bouncing checks all over the place. the usps says not our problem, we only take what they give us!!!!!!!!!! call florida and of couse all the numbers are bad now. now im pissed. lots of time on the phone reveals they skipped out on their apartment, job, and the only thing i can do is file a case with the san diego district attourney. good luck and eat crap. all i can say is i wont do this again, and if im in florida, ill find you and you will pay then dirtbag! carma is sweet, swift and i get madder with age.:mad:

7. Flyingpig

Flyingpig Member

I responded to a mailing promising to fix my tax problems. They are a company with 2 locations in California. They got me for $4750 and now Im in even more trouble with the IRS because they didnt do the job.

The IRS sent me a form so they can investigate and the BBB doesnt think so highly of them. Im also turning them in to the CA atty gen, and CA Bar Asso. Yes they are lawyers.

Send me a pm if you want a name and address in SF, Ca. Mine isnt the only complaint. Too bad you find this stuff out after they got your money.

8. nitrohaulic

nitrohaulic Bracket Racer

That IRS program is called "Offer In Compromise." If you owe enough to be eligible for it, you might still want an attorney working between you and the IRS but, most people who go for it get turned down/don't owe enough to qualify. The worse you are, the better your chances! You need to owe enough that they look at you and say "He'll never be able to pay that." Those lawyer commercials are there to take you for a few thousand when they know you probably won't qualify.

Also, don't EVER go to freecreditreport.com. A lot of people are googling to find information on the cranky looking little old lady and finding out how that company has collectively taken people for millions. They have you signing up for a monthly credit monitoring service without intending to.

Nifty commercials. BAD ripoff company.

http://www.complaintsboard.com/complaints/cic-triple-advantage-c26667.html

http://www.debtconsolidationcare.com/forums/cicreport-8.html

Why would a business be in the "business" of getting you copies of your credit reports for FREE?

It's like that Ameridebt company. I always wondered how they could be a business and call themselves non profit. All they have to do is spend everything they make. The government shut them down for basically embezzling money. Everything they did was done through company officers. Accounting for the company was overcharged by millions and done by a company owned by the CEO's wife, etc.

Last edited: Mar 6, 2009
  9. nitrocoupe2009

nitrocoupe2009 New Member

A way I stopped one Scam

I have a lot of cars online for sale and I always get the Shipper scam! They'll send me the check and I'll just send them the difference or give it to the shipper ! I just put in my ads now (If you have a shipper than send HIM the check and have HIM bring me cash at time of pick up Thanks ) and it seems to work they have stopped offering :)

10. Gil Anderson

Gil Anderson New Member

As a part of the credit reporting act, you can get your credit report from all three credit reporting companies if you've been denied credit. Otherwise, you can pay a one time fee to get a copy of their reports. It's always a good idea to get copies of your reports once a year.

As far as scams, I've notice that racing junk is monitoring them and contacting members about them.

11. gary dale

gary dale New Member

I purchased over $8000 dollar worth of parts including a windowed & repaired stage 10 block from this dirt bag in Houston Texas over 2 years ago.Bought these parts to build a extra short block for my nostaglia fuel car. Started putting motor together to fined out nothing would fit. Took block to KB and was told it would take better than $3000 to fix it right. Called this guy and after aqlot of hee-ha ha ing, told me to send back to him & he would make it right by fixing it or would return my money. Needless to say he quit returning my calls & havn"t seen my money or block.Shame on me for trusting a fellow racer.I know not everyone is like this a-hole but please watch out for this guy. If you need any more info on this guy e-mail me

12. RUGSTER

RUGSTER New Member

Ripped off on EBAY!!!!! NEVER AGAIN!!!

I'm not sure whether this will make a difference or not as i'm new to ITA but here goes....I purchased a "NEW" 110 pump from a seller in Manassas,Virginia,he refused PAYPAL and credit card so me being an honest and "DUMB" Ozi, i send him a U.S money order,he msg's me he's received the money order and the pumps been sent.After about two and a half weeks i'm getting concerned and email him.No returns whatsoever,so i contact Ebay and they inform me he's no longer a Registered user and to try and make contact yourself!! As if this guys going to reply when he's got my cash and probably did'nt even have the pump to start with!! I've contacted relevent authorities in his area as he provided me with all his information right down to his home address!! If i wasn't on the other side of the globe i'd be turning up on his doorstep!! I'm not the first person he's done this to either! At least one other member on this site had the same dealings that i KNOW of! The lesson in all of this is......Don't ever! ever! send a money order unless you actually know and trust the seller!!!! Paypal and credit cards are much safer.:mad:

13. UP IN SMOKE

UP IN SMOKE New Member

dont buy used motors!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! they always have a second story when you get it. The whole " just put it in and go" is always BS!!!!!!!! The sad thing is we got 2 from 2 different well know people and 1 was junk and the other had a cracked winberg crank and some other issues!!!!!

Last edited: May 3, 2009
  14. Cap Racing

Cap Racing New Member

Goose Springs

One time I had a blower for sale and I got some con artist that obviously didn't know a blower from a washing machine want to buy it. When I emailed back the lady to ask what she was going to do with the blower she didn't know what to say. I then had another guy call me and I could tell he was a fraud too saying he was going to use it in pro stock.

So after enough of that I made up my own sting and put a set of "goose springs" up for sale knowing one of these jokers would reply, and sure enough someone wanted to buy my complete set of goose springs when there was no such thing. I told him that too after calling him an idiot.

15. Cap Racing

Cap Racing New Member

Here's one I just got so these folks are alive and well.....This one has all kinds of red flags.

Hello,

Am mike venable from the UK.Am also a member of racing junk and my email address is mikevenable18@yahoo.com.I saw your wanted ads and i still have for sale.Please get back to me if still interested.

Thanks

Mike
    120Leicester street London UK

16. nitrohemi

nitrohemi injected nitro!!

blablablllla

blaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa

Last edited: May 29, 2009
  17. Flyingpig

Flyingpig Member

Just an update. After a lot of wrangling and letter writing my tax outfit has had enough. They did some of the work so I will get back $4350. We are still negotiating some of the other details.

I guess theyve had enough of 2 Attys General, FTC, IRS, BBB and Ca Bar.

I still wouldnt recommend them.

Last edited: Aug 15, 2009
  18. Karate Kid

Karate Kid New Member

Just to give the first guy the benefit of the doubt, we BRIEFLY had a new track operator at one of our tracks. He insisted on renaming "Big Tire Outlaw" class.... into Pro Stock. Really confused A LOT of people. Your first guy wasn't in Oklahoma/Arkansas was he?
    We call it Outlaw or Super Outlaw now. It is essentially a Jr. Pro/Mod...4.50's to 5.10's with an average of 4.90's

19. Kenneth S

Kenneth S Member

(I have been getting emails like these for parts that I have been looking for.)

Hello!

Am Micheal i live in 121 Old Kent road, SE1 5AA London,UK,i saw your wanted Ads so I decided to write you as I have the item(s). Get back to me ASAP if you are still interested.

Thanks,
    Micheal,
    +447011196396.

(Has anyone else been getting these?)(I see Cap Racing has been getting a simular message)

Last edited: Sep 2, 2009
  20. Bill Sweeney

Bill Sweeney Jr. Dragster

While I completely agree with being careful whenever you're selling anything where future payment is involved, also be careful not to run someone off that may be real.

I had a situation awhile back when we were selling my son's junior dragster for $6500 on RJ. I received a rather criptic PM from a supposed buyer from France. Broken english. I was somewhat short with him in my response but gave him my number to call if he was truly interested in the car. Sure as shit the phone rings like 5 minutes later.

He agreed to my asking price and needed me to deliver the car to his freight forwarder in Gardena. I said I could certainly do that for him but the car doesn't leave my shop until I have converted his payment into cash.

Not only did the guy come through, the car stayed HERE for 6 months until he had a full container load of his U.S. purchases. I had no problem with keeping it here and was amazed at his trust in me.

So, there are some good people out there too. Just be careful not to run off a good one if you find one.