Screw charger help needed

Discussion in 'PSI Superchargers Tech Questions' started by kbhemi, Oct 15, 2003.

1. kbhemi

kbhemi Member

I run an outlaw door car and I have some tunup/runing questions and would like to hear any suggestions on tuneup, motor clearances, words of caution etc. I have destroyed several motors and need advice. Is this thing so finicky that after tire shaking and lifting of throttle that if I roll back in the throttle easy it blows the motor? First time it kicked 4 rods second time broke a piece off of piston and burned a hole 3rd time dropped 3 valves, exh seat fell out and debri went everywhere. 526 KB stlye hemi, veney/newberry heads, 2600lbs, 3 disc aft, 3 speed lenco, 4.10 gears, 1.98 low, R980 whipple with the bolt on style hat, 30% over drive, msd promag 44, 1200 enderle, fuel enrichment just prior to 2nd gear, 37 degrees timing. Please help with any knowledge you can pass on!
    Thanks - Wayne Roberts

2. T.Howell

T.Howell Member

37 degrees timing? Is that a missprint? If not, take 12 degrees out and your engine will be happy for it.

3. Greg

Greg New Member

KBHemi, T.Howell is correct in that 37 degrees is too much. The Veney head combo that I am aware of can take advance in the very low 30's. I am new to this so I won't state specifics. One thing to think about is if when you shut the throttle blades, it might be time to abort the run. Lastly, when the barrel valve shuts and the fuel gets returned (to the tank?) it might be lean when you re-open it. There are too many variables to say for sure. It also sounds like the tire shake itself could be starting the chain of events in the engine. This is my $.02 and remember to take my advice with a grain of salt. Good luck and I hope you get your answers.

Greg

4. was R4K

was R4K Member

this is honest advice, so don't be offended- It is possible to do seat of the pants tune ups on a car like this and run mid 6s. but with your reocurring nightmare- it would be very wise to invest in an inexpensive data aquisition system. The knowledge you gain will be invaluable- These powertrains are so expensive and the change only ONE THING AT A TIME principal that must be followed if you do not have data aquisition is both costly and time consuming to the max.

5. Bob Alberty Jr.

Definately take some mag out,I tuned a veney/newberry combo in a fuel altered,first words out of newb's mouth we're 25 degree's,
    Also I learned a few things from Hoosier at the Noble points meet,next question how old are you're tires?

6. kbhemi

kbhemi Member

Thanks for the help - keep it coming! Bob, tires are 4 runs old, Goodyears 34.5 x 17 x 16 on beadlocks, 6.75 psi. I will be running this weekend - will retard to 25 degrees and try that. I ran 37 with my super mag 5 and a 1471 HHR blower, no broke parts but this thing is different! I'll let you all know what happens.
    Wayne R

7. nick bell

nick bell TAFC

You answered your own question right there. The MSD is much more accuate and with a hotter spark it cant be advanced as far. We ran the super mag 5 stuff at 35-37 degrees with newberry heads...it liked it...if the track was tough knock 5 degrees out of it and it would go right down through...listen to Tom hes on the right track.

8. tjenna

tjenna Top Alcohol

Get rid of the AFT and buy a crower.

Take some timing out of it.

Get a basic turn key fuel systems from BNR and start from there.