Say Goodnight IHRA

Discussion in 'Pit Buzz' started by Chuck Anderika, Nov 28, 2008.

1. Bruce

Bruce New Member

No chance of that in NHRA Division races we have a couple every year that we have 21 plus and it's the best 8 in the show.

2. Will Hanna

Will Hanna We put the 'inside' in Top Alcohol
    Staff Member

16 cars

Div. 7 did that a few years ago, and it really screws the national points picture up if you have one division running a 16 car field, not to mention, you add 8 more cars to the payout - and the purse isn't going up.

So what happens is the racer who goes to the semifinals gets 53 points.

It has a whole laundry list of advantages/disadvantages, but it really messes the continuity of the system up.

I know the same argument could be said for two round race winners getting the same 85 points, but in my opinion a racer shouldn't be penalized for other racers not showing up....but that's a different topic.

3. luxexpress

luxexpress New Member

Anyone else think this might have been the plan all along. There certainly are a lot more screw cars out there than roots. Maybe I look too hard for conspiracies.:(

4. john348

john348 Top Alcohol

Aaron and Scooter hate funny cars period :mad:
    only conspiracy i can think of would have been to eliminate us
    which they did..

but on a funny note can you imagine what Graham Light is thinking with all the new influx of alky cars coming :D

5. AFC357

AFC357 New Member

Ya, Div 3 (as well as others) is going to be bitchin tough!! Should be plenty of cars for an 8-car field:eek:I and my Sponsors are really looking forward to it;)

6. bruce mullins

bruce mullins Top Dragster

not trying to rain on any parade but if you don't feel like a red headed step child now, wait till you go to a nhra race. when nhra needs something or someone to point a finger at, its always the alky classes.

7. JustinatAce

JustinatAce Member

Especially when you're in the staging lanes @ 4p.m. for your second actual qualifying pass (first on Saturday) thanks to SS/SC/TD 1000' long synthetic oildowns :) Saturday was rough at Noble this year, especially when there are wasps all over the place under the bridge. Thank God for Beer. ;)

8. Creech

Creech Member

This is probably not the place for this and I dont want to loose my insidetopalcohol privilege but here it goes anyway. The clips ive seen from nhra divisionals stands look barren. A good track promoter would put some adds on the radio. The hard rock and country listeners are the ones that will go to a drag race. Give them a show and theyll come back. Im 5000 miles away in Alaska but ive sseen clips from Texas 1/8 mile pro mod on a wednesday night with larger crowds. Looks like a bunch of teenagers with beer cans in there hands. nhra is not going to allow this, sucks though thats the best part drunken teenage girls.
    Back in late 90's 2000 when our tracks owners daughter was running the track. John Childs and I would give her a couple days notice that we were coming out to test our cars. The first 6 seond 200 mph doorslammers in Alaska. She would put a few mostly late night 6:00pm 9:00pm and 12:00am adds on the rock station 106.5 kwhl and we would get crowds on an off, bracket race weekend. Mostly drunken teenagers. You get the point.

Last edited: Dec 17, 2008
  9. Will Hanna

Will Hanna We put the 'inside' in Top Alcohol
    Staff Member

back gate

nhra divisionals are mostly about how much money they can make off entries and crew passes. nhra gets a percentage of that money. As long as they cover the added hard cost of a multi-day big car count event, it's pretty low risk profit.

to advertise, well that's money that has to be spent, and if it rains, it's money that has to be spent again. most track owners/managers don't want to take that risk.

there are still a few 'promoters' out there that know how to get a good crowd whether it be a give away or paying spectators. some divisionals are so close to national events at the same track, you're going to have a hard time getting people to pay for a divisional when they can see it all in a few weeks at the national.

also, the divisional has gotten away from a fan-friendly format. the alky cars usually run at noon, 3 and 6 if you're lucky. qualifying noon and 5 on saturday. pretty slow paced. not to mention no top end interviews. it's a race. run one class, bring up the next, and so on. compared to the fast paced sunday show at a national event or dare i say adrl, it's a much slower paced 'show.'

for those ihra guys crossing over that haven't run a divisional in a while, or ever, you need to make sure your sponsors realize there may be little or no crowd at these events. there's still a lot of people there, but many of them don't have big crowds. if your sponsor's market is racers, business owners or people with a good amount of discretionary income, well the divisional could be a good market. the silver lining is that if you go to the few divisionals that have a good crowd, well your in the class that's the star of the show, which has a ton of value.