Reichert #1 5.26

Discussion in 'Pit Buzz' started by ITS IN MY BLOOD, Mar 18, 2006.

1. Will Hanna

Will Hanna We put the 'inside' in Top Alcohol
    Staff Member

few things

first off...the semifinal round you mentioned was reading 2001....

c blower was found in 2000.

like marty said, the main thing holding the progress of the blown cars up is $ and rules. on the shields 5.26 pass, the blower had clearances so tight that it seized up and he actually had to borrow cantrell's blower and slowed down to the low 5.30's. not many people in the alcohol ranks have the budget to throw a blower at it every race, or a motor. also, every .20 that has ever been run by a blown car has been in a mineshaft.

the cars are heavier than they were then. alot of teams are constantly trying new technology, which has slowed them off of what the 'normal' technology might run....ie lock up clutches, etc.

it will be interesting to see how o'bannon does in houston, so we can compare real world numbers not what 'he coulda ran'...

2. was R4K

was R4K Member

Doug- your comments are starting to sound ignorant- what part of higher min weight don't you understand?
    Seat- dash etc. is carbon fibre now- what do you want done in the miracle fibre now?
    Marty gave you a good answer- why don't you absorb it?

3. Doug Watt

Doug Watt AFD

What part of build A bigger motor don't you understand... I guess you didn't "absorb" that.

4. Blown Chances

Blown Chances New Member

My friends call me flash, you can call me the King of France

Doug,

Sandbags are absorbant, j/k

You sound like you're getting mad, dude you gotta learn to take a joke.

My point was its hard to run a 5.3 with a blown car. I know I've never purposely slowed down our BAD and probably never will. Since we're not the baddest blown car out there I can't say that everybody isn't holding something back, but if they are I want to know what that something is.

Cody "The Flash" Perkins
    -------------------------------------------------
    Just havin' fun.

5. Doug Watt

Doug Watt AFD

Cody,

Did I miss something? Did someone play a joke on me?

I'm not getting mad, I just have been listening to the Blown cars whine for 13 years, same old story different year...

6. Dean Adams

I’ve been away from this class for several years so if anything I state here is wrong, please straighten me out. The weight break for BAD has been 4.4 since the seventies. The minimum weight has increased but presumably you can build a bigger engine to stay at 4.4. OK, so maybe the bigger engine at the increased weight is a bad trade off, but anyone (AFD or BAD) has NO reason to complain until they get their car on weight.

7. kosky racing

kosky racing Comp Eliminator

weight

I would like to try to explain the weight problem. I will try to use our car as an example. First off I am a small person I weigh 150# my car with me in it when built with the lightest parts at that time we were only over the minium by about 10# .Since the bellypans @ the helmet shroud and a few other things we have added to try to stay competitive the car is now about 65# over this is not counting the helmet and the safety equip. Only way we could possibly get the car to weight is to spend about 1000$ per pound to remove it. A -fuel cars on the other hand, are light because of the rules and generaly have to carry ballast . With the add ons, they generaly dont have to do anything but take weight off to stay on their minium. With all the changes NHRA have given us it keeps getting impossible to get the cars to min. weight. What is cheaper? Just exchange weight or try to remove it? Thats why we asked for the minium weight to be increased equally so that with all the changes we stay equal. Is that asking for to much? Mike Kosky

8. topfuell

topfuell New Member

Re: Wait And See

In pomona the baddest car was obannon. they easily could have won. they were the best at the div 7 race. they could have won. can they be the example of how equal things are? forget money. its not their fault. if we had the budget and or were filthy rich and chose to blow it racing, would we all spend it like they supposedly do? so why dont we factor $ out cause we all dont have it. we CHOSE to race how we want and how much $ we want to throw at it. what we all have is the rules to go by and we all got the drive and the CHOICE. its choice to spend money to save weight. its been my choice to change combos multi times in the past. THE HAIR DRY CLAN SHOULD EXPERIENCE IT FOR A FEW YEARS.

9. alky racer

alky racer New Member

In case no one has noticed O'Bannon is not a skinny guy at all. I would guess he weighs 220 or so. I was at the scales at Pomona and there car was only 10 pounds over with all his gear in hand. I know it is expensive to do but no one forget it is possible. I believe that an alcohol car can compete and do well. Will is wright we will find out how close it is when grimes and team make apperances at Chicago, Dallas and maybe Englishtown later in the year but for know we should all stop the speculation.

10. Tim5636sc

Tim5636sc New Member

COOL...BUT HERE IS THE PROBLEM I AM SEEING HERE>......"LET'S SEE HOW (1) Blown Alcohol car does.... 1......1 car is capable of holding a true heads up race(by true i mean within .05) with what....4...5.....6 REALLY GOOD A/FD's?????The majority of A/Fuel cars are "CAPABLE" of Running 5.20's......Only a select few..."WELL FINANCED" Blown Alcohol cars are capable of those numbers. Marty, O'bannon, Chris' car to name the three I can think of? Maybe if someone were to drive Hillary's car with Bucky tuning???? by the way...Is she Single??? She's kinda Cute!;)
    Vote to lower the weight brake on the Blown Alky Dragsters on www.howboutsomecheesetogowiththatwhine.com/html *THIS IS NOT A REAL WEB SITE...PLEASE DO NO CLICK....IT IS A JOKE..A BAD ONE,,,,But it's late and that's all I can think of right now!:)

11. Doug Watt

Doug Watt AFD

Oh, there's the joke you where talking about... LOL

12. Doug Watt

Doug Watt AFD

Yah, what he said!

13. Tim5636sc

Tim5636sc New Member

Like I said....Snooze....I was really tired and It seemed pretty lame to begin with.. I think the only solution to this "DEBATE" is to just Run what ya brung! Alcohol racers need to find a way to pick up a .10 ( not that it's that easy) Nitro dudes...Just keep up the good work!

14. Chsbldr

Chsbldr Member

After being involved with both types of cars the last couple of years, I have seen advantages with each! Of course the Blown cars are a little behind the 8 ball but that is NHRA's fault. The season is still new and you will have this debate going back and forth no matter what the out come will be unless they do something.
    You will see a strong showing of the A-fuels at races where the weather and altitude are to their advantage and the same the other way with the blown cars. I do know for a fact they (many teams) will choose to stay away from a race if the other contingent has an advantage.

I would like to wish good Luck to ALL THE TEAMS racing this weekend (especaily those from Utah)

15. Will Hanna

Will Hanna We put the 'inside' in Top Alcohol
    Staff Member

best hand

one thing we all gotta realize is if the rules ever do nail parity down 100%, each combo will still have it's inherent advantages. A/Fuel is gonna run better when the air is good, Blown should run better when it heats up.

right now o'bannon has the top blown car out there with demke a close second. there's alot of coulda woulda shouldas that can be very subjective depending on what side of the fence you're on. do i think a blown could have ran better than the 5.36 kelly ran? yes. how much, i don't know. 5.26? doubtful. i think a low 5.30 was attainable first round.

in a perfect parity world, the championship is won by the car who can over come it's combo's 'weak suit' OR a team runs real smart, and runs a schedule suited to their combo.

last year the a/fuelers got a few good weather draws....etown shoulda been hot, but it was cool. vegas is usually cooler, but it was warm....

16. Doug Watt

Doug Watt AFD

Well said Will, but I think O'Bannon and Demke would have both run high 20's...

Doug

17. LaDon

LaDon New Member

Well I want to clear things on a couple of comments here. #1 David Wells did run a 5,29 and a 5.27 at chicago the one year like Wolfgang said but he did not win the race. I know I was on the team doing the clutch that year. We were beat by Morgan Lucas in the finals. We won the next year against Shelly Howard and didnt get into the 20s to do it. #2 that year that Dave did go in the 20s it was mineshaft conditions and also Norme Grimes was with us for the whole year and we only made them 2 runs in the 20s. Doug sorry dude but there is nobody sandbagging! If you believe that is happening then I have some prime ocean front property in Iowa to sell you. I happen to be tuning one of these things this year and I dont sandbag. That is for bowling. Marty is right on about what is going on here. As far as 20s in Gainsville from a blower car? I doubt it. I was watching on tv and that track didnt have the first 60ft that a blower car needs to do it. Just cause a guy might have good air that wont get one there you need a killer first 1/8th mile track to get there. Pomona was one of them this year so far. Chicago and Englishtown is about the only other 2 that have both killer air and track to do it but now the fall chicago is gone, Dallas and Houston will generally have one but not both very often with Seattle right in there. It is easy to sit on either side and say one should do this and that but generally it will be wrong

18. Dave Germain

Dave Germain New Member

If we look at it in the big picture perspective it seems that slowly but surely we are getting more A/Fuel cars and fewer blown cars. Maybe in ten more years there won't be any blown alcohol dragsters and then the class will have parity again. If you want to watch blown cars you would have to watch the funny cars. Dave Germain

19. topfuell

topfuell New Member

re: why is that

and why does it seem that more a/foolers are appearing??? and converting over too. maybe that just shows the more logical choice. I DINT SAY THE BEST, but hair dryer or a/fool, you got to see the logics of a/fool. re: valve springs for 2 to 3 years, 50 runs on rods, minimal rod kicking, 5.20 @ 270 + mph. seems in past, pro comp days to the 80's and early 90's, that blown hair dryers were the choice. maybe its just the evolution. some one figured out how to make 421 ci of naturally aspirated v8 powered rear engine dragster run 5.10 @280mph. ISNT THAT SICK? now just let it all work itself out, make your decision on cars, work hard, go race.

20. nitroclovers

nitroclovers New Member

If you really want to take the championship, run both a BAD and an A/Fool. One on "good" days and the other at altitudeor "nasty" weather.