psi screw at 85% od vs a roots at unlimited od

Discussion in 'PSI Superchargers Tech Questions' started by sean70ss, Jan 19, 2012.

1. sean70ss

sean70ss Member

How would a psi D or C at 85% od compare to an unlimited roots blower 14-71. Will the PSI make more steam if you spin it harder? or would they be close? appreciate any insight.

2. Mike Canter

Mike Canter Top Dragster
    Staff Member

A Roots blower with High Helix rotors is limited to an RPM of right around 14,625 due to volumetric efficiency dropping off to fast to be any good plus the faster you spin a Roots the more power is needed to do it and the more heat created by friction. A screw blower remains flat on volumetric efficiency throughout the rpm range and also does not have the friction so it does not generate the heat and only requires a fraction of the horsepower to spin it. The only thing that really limits spinning the screw blower is the top pulley just gets too small so the belt can't make that tight of a turn. Roots blowers have gotten better in the recent years but still cannot compare to a screw blower.

3. TOL

TOL Active Member

Is there an upper threshold RPM for a C screw either due to performance issues or mechanical issues?

4. Mike Canter

Mike Canter Top Dragster
    Staff Member

Not due to performace that I know of. Like I said it is an issue with keeping belts on a too small of a upper pulley. I have heard of some screw blowers coming apart years ago but I think they overcame that problem.

5. JustinatAce

JustinatAce Member

There is a point where the screw blower can spin too fast for it's own good in compression, usually when the rotor's speed relative to the air it's compressing is supersonic. My first encounter with an outlaw PM with a C blower, I wondered why he didn't have a top pulley the size of the spines on the quill shaft, instead of the 112% OD he was running.. Same supersonic limiting factors as a roots blower, just much higher rotor speeds before it loses efficiency.

6. Mike Canter

Mike Canter Top Dragster
    Staff Member

Justin, I talked this supersonic thing over with Patrick Hale and he told me I was wrong and re-educated me and that the Roots HH limit at 14625 rpm is not because it goes supersonic but it is because the VE% drops off too fast to be any good past that rpm. According to Patrick who is one of the founding fathers of PSI with Norm that the screw blower does not have that same VE% drop off as the Roots. Just for info the standard helix Roots limit is 9000 rpm.

Check your email for something interesting.

7. sean70ss

sean70ss Member

blower

The reason I asked the question was the class we had planned to run decided to let screw cars run with the roots. I am just trying to figure out which way to go.

c/d screw blower 85% od
    roots hi helix non billet any od
    billet blower 14 or 16 20% od
    18-71 17 od%

8. Mike Canter

Mike Canter Top Dragster
    Staff Member

Are there weight differences between the screw and Roots cars in this association? A great Rootes blower these days that is competitive from Mike Janis, Darren Meyer, Chuck Ford, or Troy Critchley is going to cost you more than a screw blower. If there is no weight difference then consider going with a screw blower. If there is a weight difference then can you meet that weight limit? Are convertors allowed? How much money do you have?

From what I have seen a 20% billet case highly modified big $$$$ Roots can really put out some boost. I have been tuning on Adam Flamholc's PM with a Mike Janis Roots at 20% and wow it is great.

Last edited: Jan 19, 2012
  9. Blownalky

Blownalky Top Sportsman

If the screw rules are equal, go with a "C" for sure.

10. overkill69

overkill69 Member

blower

The C,D are really hard to tell apart so there will never be a rule giving the D a break.
    We looked at some of that TX racing and thought about heading south until we saw the payout.
    The way I see it the roots blowers only exist to maintain parity with obsolete power adders. I understand the sport is in a tailspin and everybody wants car counts but it's frustrating that the most economical power adder is penalized because a few guys can dominate with one.
    Obviously, the screw at 85% will makeup for slow overdrive if you spin the crankshaft faster. Then it turns into an expensive game. If somebody like Frankie or Gaylen shows up the OD will be 70% at the next race.
    Just the same,if the roots dominates it will lose OD. And you have all the maintanence to keep it fresh.
    I hope the outlaw roots deal is a fad that blows over. Everybody wants to make more power for less money and work. $15k handbuilt blowers are not the way to keep lower level promod racing alive.
    sorry to hijack the thread

11. sean70ss

sean70ss Member

blower

All blower cars to weigh 2650 period and automatics only. Bad part sold all my screw blower stuff so I could change to a roots combo then bam they let the screws in. If a roots could weigh 2500 that would help alot. It will probably turn inot 2-3 cars dominating and everyone crying. So now I at a crossroads spent a shitload of money and screwed lol.

12. Mike Canter

Mike Canter Top Dragster
    Staff Member

Where can you buy a $15K handbuilt Roots blower from? LOL

13. sean70ss

sean70ss Member

blower

Good question Mike:cool:

14. sune

sune Member

Mike

I was reading your post regarding od limits on hh and standard helix roots.
    As far as i know fuel cars run standard helix blowers yet they spin faster than 9000 rpm how come?
    Also on my own car the old engine was a bbc with a standard helix we started out at 11% od and ended up at 40% od so it must have been over 9000 rpm too, yet it made lots more power with the high od, i have since replaced the engine tho as it put a rod thru the block.

15. overkill69

overkill69 Member

The rules should make decent parity to start. The outlaw roots and low OD screws are a little bit unknown on performance. I know Gaylen runs lower OD for the TOPMA stuff and it really knocks the wind out of his car.
    The modern roots are designed for lower OD and they can put up big numbers at 2650lbs.
    If you want to go race somewhere else with a screw you can pickup .2 with a pulley change and have fun. Especially if you've been running good at 85%.

16. Mike Canter

Mike Canter Top Dragster
    Staff Member

Sean so do you have any ideas as to what ET you need to run to be competitive?

As far as 2650 lb PMs at 14.5% and 20% OD you can look at the ETs that are run in NHRA and ADRL PMs for 14.5% and look at the European FIA for the 20%. Top dogs from both sides of the pond are running very extensively modified Roots. The big question is what the screw blowers can run at 2650 lbs at 85%?

Sune, let me start a new thread rather than steal this one on answering your question.

17. JustinatAce

JustinatAce Member

The "critical RPM" is merely the point at which a blower starts losing it's peak efficiency. They still move air, it just costs more in the way of rotation,i.e. displacement per rev.

18. Will Hanna

Will Hanna We put the 'inside' in Top Alcohol
    Staff Member

C blower

Go with a C blower at 1.85 if you want to have the best blower.

Obviously if the D is at the same overdrive, you will be at a disadvantage.

I don't have any experience with them, but I have a hard time seeing a billet case 16 or 14 hang with a C blower when they are limited to 1.20.

C and D blower are very easy to tell the difference. I mean that would require someone taking some fuel lines off and removing the 6 bolts that hold the hat on (maybe some silicone clean up). If the female rotor lobe is smaller than .500" then it's a C.

19. Money Shot

Money Shot Member

Blower cars with a 2 speed glide can weigh 2550. Should be a pretty close match with the limits on OD and weight. Hope to see you guys at some races.

Randy