PSI Roots blower differences

Discussion in 'PSI Superchargers Tech Questions' started by Jeff Sandlin, Jan 1, 2018.

1. Jeff Sandlin

Jeff Sandlin New Member

Hi, I'm looking to upgrade my older Littlefield standard Helix blower to another with High Helix. I'm only in the used roots blower market, it's a budget thing. I found a PSI roots, it's older but I'm sure it's a upgrade from what I have. I can't find hardly any info on the PSI roots besides they make top tier blowers. Do they make different style rotors? Is there something to look out for besides wear on the rotors on older styles? Will an early version still make good power? I believe I would only looking to make about 40 pounds on a 528 Hemi
    Thanks

2. nitrowannabe

nitrowannabe Member

I would only buy a K11 rotor in a Superman style case . DMPE, Davenport, Janis, Ford, Fowler, Critchley etc.

3. Mike Canter

Mike Canter Top Dragster
    Staff Member

I agree, the PSI riots did not turn out to be a very good blower for several reasons. I would stay away from it. A very reasonsble priced blower that is very good is a Littlefield LB22. Those blowers listed above are also great if you can find them used but before I bought one I would check very carefully as to what overdrive it is designed for. Most of those blowers are designed for a specific use.

4. Jeff Sandlin

Jeff Sandlin New Member

Thanks guys, I will avoid the PSI. I would love a LB22 but new is out of my price range this season and I haven't seen used popping up for sale yet. I seen a slightly used LB20 for sale the other week but I dragged my toes for a week before pulling the trigger and it was gone. I just run a little drag radial car at my local track, not looking to set the world on fire, my budget is only about 4K for this year's blower upgrade. I just want to get into a decent high helix blower for this year. I seen some used SSI's pretty cheap but they seem pretty old with B rotors. I have been looking here and on racing junk, is there somewhere else to watch for them at?

5. Mike Canter

Mike Canter Top Dragster
    Staff Member

Have you looked in the classified section on this site?

6. Jeff Sandlin

Jeff Sandlin New Member

Yes I have been, I'm calling on one today. I was just wondering if the other I found was any good, thanks

7. Soldierboy0098

Soldierboy0098 Active Member

PSI had 3 rotor setbacks 1",1.5", and the latest 2" they have done some work on their blowers since I owned one (Inlet shoes and such) so I am not sure about the latest units but my 2" unit on a dyno took 480hp to turn at 42-43 od and heated the air more than my SSI F-3 did at 38 od making the same boost with cooler outlet temps and less hp to turn meaning my F-3 was a better blower. The SSI's are good blowers off the shelf but if you are looking to mod a unit the Fowler F-11 is where it's at. Mine went 3.604 at 204.78 in a dragster and holds the record. You can pick up the SSI F rotor blowers such as an F2-F3 for around $4,000-$5,000 or see if you can find a used K-8,K-9, or K-11 Superman for around the same price. Just make sure the K-9's don't have the huge lightening holes on the rotors as those were prone to cracking. If you get a K-11 you can later send the unit to Critchley, Billes, Janis, ect...and have it modded for a top notch blower.

Alternatively an SSI D or Early F rotor should be able to be picked up for $2,500 to $3,500 and will still kill your old blower. PSI's will still make good power but there are better units out there for the same money.

Hope that helps,
    Trev

8. Jeff Sandlin

Jeff Sandlin New Member

Thanks for taking time to write that out, that's some great info and will help me better price these

9. Soldierboy0098

No worries, I hope it helps. -Trev

10. Bjs344

Bjs344 Member

Food for thought: SSI can probably fix any of their blowers if something happens, assuming not catastrophic. Nobody makes a replacement rotor for anything with a A k8 or k9 in the event something ever happens. I really wanted a k11/f11 when I bought my last blower but could t make it happen. I love my F3 that I ended up buying.

11. andy wilfong

andy wilfong Active Member

A K9 can be replaced with our new rotors, the diffence in the K8 and K9 is the rotor diameter, the K11 and our new rotors are the same as s K9

12. nitrowannabe

nitrowannabe Member

Thanks Andy. Do you still make the K8 style ?

13. andy wilfong

andy wilfong Active Member

We can get a rotor to match that bore, we don't machine it, but it is. Good replacement if needed, yes, it's billet

14. Jeff Sandlin

Jeff Sandlin New Member

Thanks for the info guys, Mike got me hooked up with SSI F2 that was modified. I can't wait for the new season to try t out

15. Soldierboy0098

I owned one of those F2's and they are a good blower, your going to love that thing.

16. td3829mk

td3829mk Member

Glad I could help Jeff. Just keep in mind, that blower is going to want a lot more fuel than your previous one. Stock up on blower lube and spray between every round to help with strip life, and creep up on your tune. You're going to enjoy it!

Mike