MSD Power Grid Question

Discussion in 'PSI Superchargers Tech Questions' started by blowntrifive, Sep 4, 2018.

1. blowntrifive

blowntrifive Member

I really like its features Mike, just a learning curve for us old analog users haaa, I feel my issues are RFI and EMI noise and how I have stuff wired from the grid to the crank trigger etc. I was very anal on wiring to the point I had the trigger cables to close to all the other wires and from what I'm told the grid is very acceptable to RFI and other electrical issues .

2. BB/FA 182

BB/FA 182 Member

What are the perks of using an fie switch??

3. blowntrifive

blowntrifive Member

Something happens to the box or trigger you can throw a switch and fire and run on the mag, if it will start on the mag but not the trigger you can fire it and throw switch back to the trigger. also acts as a shut off when power is shut off to it!

4. Mike Canter

Mike Canter Top Dragster
    Staff Member

The FIE is by far the best switch out there as being heavy duty. It is set up so the driver can switch it also as well as the guy starting the car

5. blowntrifive

blowntrifive Member

Yes it is Like it! I mounted it on rubber pads like MSD box mounts etc, thanks Mike!!!

6. blowntrifive

blowntrifive Member

Just an up date for you guys for info reasons, this issue turned out to be the grid itself, after getting all the wiring and trigger cables and harness from Leahy which I recommend by the way, I lost all spark to the plugs from the mag trigger or the crank trigger, tested everything the switch the coil etc, you name it, checked my settings in the grid just in case and the only way it would fire is plugging in the mag without the grid, I'm pretty close to knowing this thing inside and out but it was a learning curve for sure, swapped out the grid and bam!! all works as required and MSD is a pain in the ass to get info from, but I'm not sure I'll stick with this or not but wanted everyone to know what it was thanks for all your help!!!

7. Mike Canter

Mike Canter Top Dragster
    Staff Member

How long ago was this. Was this an initial install?

8. jody stroud

jody stroud ZOMBIE Top Dragster

I had three or four of the grids go bad back in 2014 and early 2015. Finally got fed up and switched to a command module. Looking back I’m pretty sure the mag was killing them. Had it mounted on the blow shield on the motor side and was only a foot or two from the mag and wires. But always the same thing, car run like shit ..... swap to a new grid ... good to go , for a couple more races.

9. blowntrifive

blowntrifive Member

I finished the car this year, started testing a few months ago and from the get go it was acting like hitting the chip. Wasn't shifting etc. I only have 6 passes in it and finally it just quit last night. I tested it with the MSD ignition tested and it tested good. Long story short it's the box.

10. blowntrifive

blowntrifive Member

I like it's easy use and features but I'm not buying 3 boxes etc. I learned a ton on this thing man. How do u like the CM module Jody???

11. Mike Canter

Mike Canter Top Dragster
    Staff Member

Jody, that failure is not the faults of the Grid. Digital ones and zeros dont like that RF interference. Just to interject here. The CM is good and has features that the Grid doesnt have such as controlling leanouts aswell as the timing. The CM still needs a little more work on its setup. The Grid is good also especially if you already have a fuel leanout timer. If you are using traction control then the Grid is the way to go.

12. rb0804

rb0804 Active Member

Out of curiosity what features would you like to see in the command module. I can think of one that I would like that the grid can do but the CM can’t.

13. Mike Canter

Mike Canter Top Dragster
    Staff Member

I think that the timing curve graph needs to be blown up more. Maybe a zoom feature. I will like to be able do the reverse for leanouts. Launch with a couple turned on and be able to turn it off at either a time or rpm then turn it on again. Would also like secure bluetooth communication from my laptop and my iphone. If it was on my iphone then i could make a easier fast adjustment in the staging lanes.

14. blowntrifive

blowntrifive Member

I've been told that as well, I dont use traction control and I havent got to use my lean outs yet but working towards them .

15. Will Hanna

Will Hanna We put the 'inside' in Top Alcohol
    Staff Member

Individual Cylinder Timing is the biggest reason I stick with the Grid system.

16. blowntrifive

blowntrifive Member

I like it and its functions and know a lot of guys much better at this then me that like it as well, I believe as we go along the product will get better and better but for now carting around 2 or 3 boxes waiting for the next one to fail suck!! if it wasn't
    for the timing on individual cylinders Will what would you be using?

17. Will Hanna

Will Hanna We put the 'inside' in Top Alcohol
    Staff Member

Every unit out there has it's pro's and cons. The command module is pretty much purpose built for this type of racing and does not need much wiring. So you have fuel and timing all built into one box and you can make changes through the touch pad. The Power Grid is a pretty universal ignition control box so you have to wire it to your application. You also have to be plugged into it with a lap top to make changes to the timing curve. Like mentioned above, it's the only unit with ICT, which sounds really scary high tech until you do it, then it's like, that was easy and boy does it work good. You just program the firing order in and pick which cylinder, how much timing and when you want it pulled.

If you are outlaw racing, the Profiler is a nice box because it does pretty much everything including rev control. There's a lot more layers to the traction control vs. the ARC module that you can use with the Grid.

18. blowntrifive

blowntrifive Member

Will for ICT what do I need? thanks!

19. Mike Canter

Mike Canter Top Dragster
    Staff Member

20. blowntrifive

blowntrifive Member