McPhillips Racing seat open after Coughlin opts for Pro Stock

Discussion in 'Pit Buzz' started by Will Hanna, Feb 8, 2020.

1. Will Hanna

Will Hanna We put the 'inside' in Top Alcohol
    Staff Member

Seat opens on McPhillips Racing's championship-winning Top Alcohol Dragster

PHOENIXVILLE, Pa. (Feb. 7) -- McPhillips Racing has announced a vacancy in the seat of its powerful Top Alcohol Dragster that Troy Coughlin Jr. drove to back-to-back regional championships and a pair of top-three finishes in the national points over the course of the last two seasons.

"We had a great time with Troy Jr. and I believe we showed, as we have for several years now, that we are a team that can legitimately contend for world titles," Rich McPhillips said. "We are looking for a funded driver and/or some marketing partners to move forward. With the team and crew we have in place, we are ready to compete in any region."

Having McPhillips Racing as a marketing partner certainly impressed veteran motorsports executive Woody Woodruff, the longtime director of media and motorsports at JEGS. "The entire McPhillips Racing organization did an outstanding job representing JEGS both on and off the track for the last two seasons," Woodruff said. "The passion for racing and attention to detail they showed was second to none. Whoever gets this seat will have a championship-caliber race car under them with a team fully dedicated to winning."

Under the guidance of Rich McPhillips and his son Rich Jr., Coughlin captured the North Central regional championship in 2018 and the Eastern regional championship in 2019. Both seasons he finished third in the national points. Overall, the team won 10 races with Coughlin in the cockpit, three at the national level and seven more in divisional action.

"I grew so much as a driver and a person during my time with McPhillips Racing," Coughlin said. "The drive Rich and his son, as well as all the crewmen they have working for them, have for winning was every bit as impressive as any professional team I've been around. They are so focused and motivated. It was an honor to be with them each weekend and I always will be a big fan of the team."

Coughlin has opted to chase his latest dream -- driving a Pro Stock car -- after testing his uncle Jeg Coughlin Jr.'s JEGS.com Elite Motorsports Chevrolet Camaro this past off season. He now hopes to follow in the footsteps of his uncle Jeg Jr., his father Troy Sr., and his grandfather, Jeg Coughlin Sr., who founded JEGS Automotive 60 years ago.

McPhillips Racing is based out of Phoenixville, Pa.