Its time for 97% or more blower in TAD

Discussion in 'Pit Buzz' started by Will Hanna, Oct 24, 2005.

1. LaDon

LaDon New Member

Race Fan I am not gonna bash you here but try to explain something cause obviously you are young. First do you have about $250,000 to spend on a top alcohol car? If not then look at it from a veiw point of having that to spend and you are doing it. First it is easy to tell ppl if you dont like the blower cause you are slower with it to get rid of it and go to afuel. Ok fine where is the next $200,000 for the total switch gonna come from. The guy I work for dont have that kind of money sitting around to do that with. He would have to sell the car and who is gonna buy something that aint competitive? Nobody! Ppl just are not gonna go out and spend the money it takes to try to win a championship on something that aint gonna get it for them. Do I like the rule changes for the afuel cars? NO is the answer to that one but so far nobody has given the blower the stuff to run consistent 20s. What would I like to see? Us to have the parts to do that run consistent 20s just like the afuel cars. Are they gonna give the stuff to us? No I would bet not. Race Fan we as racers and crewmembers like to have you fans I really enjoy giving out parts to you guys and haven you come to the pits as we will let ppl sit in the cars and check everything out but untill you realize what kind of money, time, and effort is spent on making these cars show up at a race and run to put on a show for you then dont critisize us for wanting to be competitive. There is a lot more to it than what a person sees at the track believe me. The support equipment is tremendous to have to buy also. I hope I help shed some light on this for you to understand I sure dont want to make anyone mad here just trying to get ppl to realize what is at stake here and what ppl are spending to do this and that the answer is not if you dont like it leave cause if everyone quit just cause something was messed up for them then guess what........no show for the fans! I am a racer, a crewmember but formost I am a FAN of the sport.

2. LaDon

LaDon New Member

Oh and by the way I did use my real name here.

3. race fan 98

race fan 98 New Member

my name may be decieveing, but i'm definityly not just a fan. we've been racing for over 14 years. we made the switch to a/fuel a few years ago and it definitly doesn't take 200,000. believe me, i know that there is more to it than what goes on at the track. the guy i go with works on his car everynight, and that's why he's so competitive.

4. LaDon

LaDon New Member

Well by the time if you were to go out and buy a new car and enough parts and clutch parts you are not gonna miss it by that far. I had heard that the car Boggs sold was close to $150,000 just for a turn key set up so depending on what was done you are not gonna miss it too far. Bet when you guys were to add everything up for running a year you would be suprised including the cost of the car. What really suprises me is how everyone thinks that none of the blower guys work on their cars! The must just be able to run by them selves with no maintainance done to them. Gee eveidently when I worked on David Wells car and he spent from 7 in the morning till 8 at nite in the shop every day he must have been just sweeping the floor. Now that I help Richard he spends about the same time in his shop he must be dusting. I just love how these ppl think that the guys with the blower cars dont work on them and that is why they dont go as fast. Incredible. Oh and if a person was gonna switch to afuel which by the way I am not against seeing a person do by the time he takes the losses in the shorts on what he will get out of his blower stuff it along with the cost of the afuel car and parts it would easily be close to what I am talking about. Sorry to burst your bubble here kid but rules dont allow the blower car to run the teens, never have and are not gonna in the forseeable future.

5. LaDon

LaDon New Member

By the way who is it that you go with anyway?

6. Woodchip

Woodchip Top Alcohol Dragster

Doent matter who she went with. Either they couldnt cut it in the blown ranks or their work ethic suddenly changed when they switched to a fuel car.

7. LaDon

LaDon New Member

Well it is like Will said dont tell us who you are and your words mean nothing. Anyone could get on here and tell us they have a car dont mean they do. Hopefully she will tell us it could be they are friends of all of ours and could be really nice ppl.

8. Will Hanna

Will Hanna We put the 'inside' in Top Alcohol
    Staff Member

race fan 96

it doesn't take much more than elementary my dear ladon to figure this mystery out.

this mystery woman must want to be figured out. all too many clues.

there isn't but a handfull of people that have ran for 14 years and made the switch.

the clincher will be to see who, if anyone is missing from the pomona tad winner's circle.....

then we will be able to end this mystery like the end of a scooby doo episode...

wait a minute....race fan 96 is really......

tune in next week....

9. Woodchip

Will, I guess posting over and over again "These Cars wont run in the heat" wasn't getting any mileage.:D

Last edited: Nov 8, 2005
  10. Kevin Brown

Kevin Brown Top Dragster

Classic!

KB

11. Will Hanna

Staff Member

pomona parity scorecard...

parity at a glance in pomona:

reichert 5.23, torrence 5.25...

obannon 5.33

still a tenth!

arguments at a glance-

we're hearing the same people that said any nitro percentage less than 100 would never run. now they say 97 or 96 won't.

98 cost a lot of money because of new head development just because of 98. those new heads were in development at 100 percent and would have cost people money regardless.

anything lower than 98 wont be able to get an a/fueler off the line. 3.08 or 3.2 gear. it's already won one championship...

but then it wouldn't run quite as good....exactly....

blown teams aren't advancing-

duane shields ran for another year or so after that 5.26, never got close to it. did he hit his head? why do you think he has a nitro car? norm grimes went with david wells with the same car. ran .20's in chicago, never got back there again. did he hit his head? div. 3 champ thacker...federlin, will... alot of smart people out there working with blown cars and we haven't seen anything close to a 5.23 that was run this weekend, or the 5.20 that was run in dallas or the 5.16 that was ran in chicago...

bottom line is they NEED TO DO SOMETHING one way or the other. hit the nitro or give the blown cars something.

there is no argument whether there is a gap. that's a fact. there's about a tenth.

once again, no rules change will be a death sentence to the blown car. if they don't try to keep it even, why the hell did they mess with the a/fuel cars this year?

12. A/Fuel&HisMoney

A/Fuel&HisMoney Jr. Dragster

Very few A/Fuelers are running that well. Leave them alone!

It's like saying, Schumacher's running consistent 4.46's so we need to take something away from him so the number 16th qualifier, John Smith (4.62) can have parity!

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 9, 2005
  13. A/Fuel&HisMoney

At Pomona, we had 8 A/Fuel cars qualified, and 8 Blown cars qualified. Looks like parity to me!

14. Woodchip

Thats a JOKE son!

I think you mean Parody. Thats what we have. We don't have Parity.

15. Will Hanna

Staff Member

comparisons...

cmon, is that the best you can come up with? that's a pretty far stretch.

smith and shumacher run the same kind of cars, same rules. the reason why smith can't run with tony is their tune-up. smith, budget aside, with the right tune up and parts run a 4.46.

the only way to accurately compare a/fuel cars with blown cars is on a performance level.

lets look at this year at 98% alone:
    hirata 5.16
    reichert 5.18
    torrence 5.20
    numerous other low to mid to high .20's

lets look at blown cars all time
    shields 5.26 mine shaft
    santos 5.27 mine shaft
    wells 5.27 mine shaft (same car/tuner as above)
    thacker 5.28 mine shaft
    haley 5.29 mine shaft with the blower bouncing off the track...
    will 5.30

still a tenth.

in not so mine shaft conditions: Indy -
    Snow .26
    Torrence mid .20's to high .20's
    Olivarez .20's.

Will...5.32 best, mid 5.30's.

more and more a/fuelers are running better at 98%.

what about Tom Conway? he's smart enough to come up with a combo that has dominated the a/fuelers this year. did he just get smart this year? was he a dumbass when he had a blown car and tuned countless others? i think not.

8 blown and 8 a/fuel in field. how about 4 a/fuel and ZERO blown in the semi's. championships are won going rounds not just qualifying.

people might label me as a blown racer. rather, i'm just pushing for fair racing. if the scales do turn one day and an a/fuel car can't run with a blown car, i'll lobby for the a/fuel cars. i want to see this class succeed, and i think it will take both to do it.

i even lobbied for the blown cars when i was crew chiefing on an a/fuel car. that's about as real as it gets.

whatever the powers that be decide, lets do something.

16. A/Fuel&HisMoney

Pomona's field had 2 A/Fuel cars in the 20's, 3 A/Fuel and 4 Blown in the 30's, 3 A/Fuel and 4 Blown cars in the 40's.

Not making the show there was 1 A/Fuel car and 3 Blown cars in the 50's and 4 A/Fuel cars running 60's+.

That's a pretty fair mix when you consider who's tuning who. Every class is going to have it's superstars.

Changing the percentage (or whatever) to slow down 2 cars, and further frustrate the others that are not running anywhere near as well, isn't the answer.

Maybe we could look at weight. Add a little to a A/Fuelers or subtract a little from the Blown cars.

17. Will Hanna

Staff Member

its a lot more than pomona and a lot more than slowing down 2 cars. every a/fuel car out there had the same parts or opportunity to have the same parts as reichert and conway. every a/fuel car had a chance to run 5.23 or better. it would have took the best run EVER by a blown car to run there.

when the blown superstars cant run with the a/fuel regulars or superstars, there's the problem.

it doesn't matter how the middle of the pack lines up, the only real comparison can be made at the top of each.

18. Steve Torrence

Steve Torrence Jr. Dragster

you sure are trying to create alot of controversy and all.... i mean especially since you dont even have a "dog in the fight" why is that

19. Codeman4318

Codeman4318 New Member

I'm sure the more controversy, the more hits on the site, the more hits on the site the better the sales pitch to the advertisers on this site.
    Oh by the way, what was everybody's excuse when Tom Conway was kicking butt in a blown car?

20. Kevin Brown

Kevin Brown Top Dragster

Nuff said!

Thanks Champ!

KB