If it looks like a Circus it must be a Circus...

Discussion in 'Pit Buzz' started by mike kirk, Oct 7, 2008.

1. Bobby Bennett

Bobby Bennett New Member

Past History

Long before the Internet existed, the major means of reaching the racing community was through the sanctioning body publication.

For instance, in late December -- the IHRA Drag Review headline for December 15, 1983 was as follows:]

Merry Christmas
    No Top Fuel in 1984

How's that for a Christmas Present.

In 1987, the IHRA brought back Top Fuel to join the Funny Cars,

Then in 1991, they dropped the Funny Cars again.

2. jody stroud

jody stroud ZOMBIE Top Dragster

I hate to say it but of all the IHRA pro classes, pro stock is the one that people leave their seats to miss. Since the ADRL now has a class for them and after the little boycott it seems they could drop them and leave the Nitro classes alone. I run Top Dragster and the only classes I'll leave the pits to see is the fuel classes and pro mod.

3. Will Hanna

Will Hanna We put the 'inside' in Top Alcohol
    Staff Member

ihra decision

andy,

all you have to do is look how long they drug the afc decision a couple of years ago. it was unsure right up until san antonio whether they would have a class...

4. Tom L

Tom L New Member

According to Quain Stott Nitro funnies in 2009 are not the only problems overthere!

5. AFC357

AFC357 New Member

Lots of Rumors out there. I heard a LOT of interesting things and from some very reliable sources (that will NOT be revealed). I hope all is not true and I understand the reasoning behind 2 of the decisions (if indeed they are true). I only hope Mr. Feld liked what he saw. I also hope in the interest of profesionalism we have some honest ans solid answers soon! I did hear San Antonio was dropped and possibly Batton Rouge, New York and Pittsburg added??!! Can anyone substantiate that one???

6. KMS

KMS New Member

the rumor is alky, nitro f/c is not safe. I have an idea. Get rid of the bad management and keep the classes. I run a successful Truck and trailer repair business with my brother and my dad. When my business is getting just a little and I mean a little slow, I am on the phone getting more business in, keeping my employees employed and looking toward the future. If I sat on my tail and waited til the last minute, well, I would be working for someone else. They have seen this coming for a while. Any Business can be successful if you have the right personal. You have to want it, and be willing to go after it. Not wait til it comes to you, because in most cases it will not. Nitro Funnies and Alky actually have 2 major places to race. IHRA and NHRA. If IHRA wants to grow ( and maybe they don't) they have got to have nitro and alky f/cs, along with the other classes. They will have to promote, advertise and get a good TV package. Bottom line. I talked to people at the event in Rockingham and was told by many, racers included, that they never once heard about the race on the radio or TV, and they lived in that area. We can only hope that the Feld group was just blown away with what they saw this weekend. If not, I hope the don't just let the IHRA die. IHRA has great racers and great fans. Thanks for letting me rant. Hope to see you all next year

7. jim phillips

jim phillips ta/fc

back when i was running ihra ta/fc i have seen as high as 47 cars tring for 16 spots now what is it tring for 8 12 or 14 cars are they need better pay out for ta/fc to attract more cars then you have even a better show and you guys qualifing your doing a great job you just need to be paid better for all the hard work that it takes to get to a race and run good but the money never seems to trickle down that far but i did enjoy qualifing with 47 cars even if it was only 14-15 or 16