How do you guys keep your frames from rusting ?

Discussion in 'PSI Superchargers Tech Questions' started by John Robinson, Sep 26, 2012.

1. BrianD

BrianD Member

I have heard the same thing about Kroil and its rust prevention. I have found a few online sources for Gibbs, it can be kind of pricy with hazard shipping and all. I didn’t know if anyone had any good sources for it that would save a little. In the big picture it is worth the expense if it works. Knowing that it wields easy after it’s been applied is a big selling point. After seeing how it lasts over time I was worried it would cause headaches when I went to do some chassis updates.

These shots of the Halibrand magnesium rear after it has been sprayed with Gibbs are impressive. http://www.roadsters.com/gibbs/

2. AFC357

AFC357 New Member

Forgot to mention that...I have been coating these raw-mag parts I have been collecting w/Gibbs....keeps oxidation to zero!

3. craig moss

craig moss Member

Great your box is full

4. Mark Leigh

Mark Leigh Member

It's good enough for the gun crowd, it is excellent !

5. Money Shot

Money Shot Member

oiling the chassis

After we kick the rods out we just leave the oil on the chassis....NO RUST!!!!!! LOL

6. john348

john348 Top Alcohol

Tim
    Where you getting this stuff?

7. blown375

blown375 New Member

Absolutely right about the Kroil causing rust , Kroil is an excellent penitrant but it is NOT a rust inhibitor !
    I scochbrighted my entire frame a wiped it down with Kroil and when I went back the next day the whole frame was brown !

8. underby6

underby6 Active Member

I did my entire chassis with synthetic steel wool and wd-40, then 400/600/800/1000/1400...and finally 2000 grit paper using rubbing alcohol after each grade to remove all dust/dirt/etc. I then went over the chassis with marvel mystery oil and the next day with syn. atf. The car looked amazing, but it was a lot of work, it was chrome basically. After time at the track it lost its' super shiny appearance but still looks very nice almost two years later. I still touch it up with the syn. steel wool as with any steel....a little bit of anything makes it rust. The biggest problem is people putting their hands all over the chassis...big no no in my pits:cool:...if they do I hand them some steel wool and MMO. WD40 works ok....but yes it doesn't prevent rust like some think, it has water in it anyways. We are doing Spitzer's open house for IMIS....maybe I'll get ambitious and shine her up again!

Brandon Booher
    NHRA TAD #34

9. AFC357

AFC357 New Member

Ive had to have "the talk" with several that just can't keep their hands off:D When scuffing/oiling....I tell the guye this is the tome to INSPECT the chassis also...your getting down and personal with it...good time to look for cracks, missing wire ties, bolts, etc...John, havn't forgot about ya (well kind of)! I'll be back to the shop in a few and see what info I can find! Got it! ph 248-719-0550 or www.getgibbs.com Hope this helps?!

Last edited: Oct 12, 2012
  10. bryanbrown

bryanbrown Member

I bought the Gibbs a couple weeks ago after seeing this thread. I always just used wd40. I'm gonna stick with the Gibbs. Usually there will be a few spots pop up when the humidity gets up, but it's rained a couple of times since I put it on and it still looks good. I've also pulled the motor since I put it on so my hands were all over it. I got it off eBay. That was the cheapest I found

11. AFC357

AFC357 New Member

I should be getting commision checks!

12. excessive

excessive New Member

I use this on everything. My DD truck frame looks like new even after two winters of N Y salt. It costs but worth it.
    http://www.nyalic.co.nz/
    Order it in the US, I think the distributor is in Atlanta.(770) 690-1480 Much less than the overseas web site. Around $35.00 a Aerosol can and it covers quite a bit.

Joe

Last edited: Oct 25, 2012
  13. OwnBlock

OwnBlock Member

for the inside of the tubing

I mist in boiled linseed

Dont use raw linseed it will rust steel.

14. chucklescanuck

chucklescanuck Nostalgia A/Fuel

gibbs

i bought gibbs from
    Threepeaksproducts.com

15. Greg Kelley

Greg Kelley Member

ok, what's Prizm?

16. Comax Racing

Comax Racing Member

Prizm is generally used inside your blower. "blower gel" You get it from Lawson Products.