Hemi On-Board Starter HELP? PLEASE!

Discussion in 'PSI Superchargers Tech Questions' started by Blown540, May 1, 2011.

1. Dave Koehler

Dave Koehler Member

One more thing.
    If you are running a flexplate look hard at it.
    The ring should be the welded at the same distance from the center plate. Presumably centered.
    If not it will be a wobbler and shove the pinion around.
    I see too many of these come through here.
    Even the blessed sfi versions suffer from this.
    Probably since they all come from the same place, get irridated and stickered and a primo price tag attached.
    This also affects the runout as noted previously.

You may want to mount your converter if used in a lathe and attach the flexplate to check it for wobble. Runout will be tough to judge unless you make a simple adapter from the convetor nose to the flexplate center hole to center it all up.
    They "flex" so just spinning it by itself will just make your eyes wobble. Clamp it down and it can be a different story.

2. Money Shot

Money Shot Member

We are running a Brad 6 Hemi with a Meziere TS400 starter and a Meziere Billet 168 tooth flywheel. We hit the starter with 32 volts and run the electronics off 16. Starts like a new Toyota.

When I ran my Chevy I used 16v and a MSD starter. 168 tooth cheap SFI flywheel. Never an issue.

3. td355

td355 Member

How did you mount the starter to the block? Did you use a drill fixture of some sorts ?

4. Money Shot

Money Shot Member

Mounted the starter to the mid plate on the drivers side. Used a 1/2" midplate. Got the recessed starter block from Meziere.

5. Soldierboy0098

Soldierboy0098 Active Member

Hey Jim, I remember we had some funny issues with Chris's car, before he sold it he switched to a Mezierre starter and we had great luck with that. The previous one would start the car one pass on the crank trigger and not the next so we would have to start it on the mag, funny thing was if you started it and killed it immediately it would start just fine on the crank trigger. The expensive Mezierre fixed that. As for Flexplates the only ones I have seen bad things with ring gears is the Reactor units and it seemed you either got a good one or you didn't. Night be good to call Chris, it's been a while but he may remember his deal. We did have one of his old starters stay engaged during a run and externally looked fine when we got back but it was powdered dust inside. -Trev

6. Topchopvalle

Topchopvalle New Member

Anyone run the House of Payne starter?