Guess what happened at Pomona...Parity shmarity!!!

Discussion in 'Pit Buzz' started by The Zone, Nov 12, 2004.

1. was R4K

was R4K Member

Sure would like to know what the "little innovation" was from Bucky??? ;)

2. 310TAD

310TAD Top Alcohol

There went the claims that AF/D cost a fraction to race than BA/Ds do.
    MT at 7000' ? Since there are only a few races ran in air over 4000',you do not need to attend them to get your full slate in. The majority of the NHRAs event are going to be in the 1000' to 3500' range.
    And how much do I think 95% would affect most AF/D's performance. Not enough to bring them inline with the BA/D's. It might temporarily make a small dent in the first half track, but will make the cylinders easier to keep lit downtrack. Let's see, how much has 95%, 90%, or 85% slowed the Blown Nitro racers. It will most likely only be alittle more severe for the AF/D's.
    And, as I said before, bring out your BA/D and show me I'm wrong!

3. Kevin Brown

Kevin Brown Top Dragster

Marty, I think your feelings have been recorded...I have heard that NHRA has made a decision on what to do with the offenders of disparity in TAD...Let's all move on shall we? After paying $1185.00 for a drum of Nitro and 10 gallons of Alcohol in Vegas (Thanks to the VP distributor in Vegas) ...I'm all for better milage....bring on the 95%....

Peace, Kevin
    TAD 711

4. The Zone

The Zone Member

This is what still bugs me about you and your dad's attitude Bill. I get everything you say but don't agree with alot of it. I understand the frustration that your dad feels knowing after running like a bat out of hell, you got to get a whole new tune-up. I think that sucks. I don't think NHRA should slow down the A/Fuelers. I think the technology that is out there should be used by BADs. I don't know of any restriction on new technology that the A/Fuelers have been given since the technology used in top fuel has been allowed for A/Fuel. ( and I am not talking about weight and I am not talking about Cubic Inches. That has caused the teams to spend more money (which also sucks), but all the widgets, doodads, and wochamacallits are still on the car. The A/Fuelers also get a bigger clutch with more discs.

THE BAD drivers I haved talked to want to be sped up, not have the A/Fuelers slowed down.
    Instead of bashing the BAD's for whining and saying that you need to go outside the box, do some research into what you are saying. There is no box big enough that will speed them up with current rules technology.

Beside the blower they aren't allowed, they are restricted on rearend gears, clutch management (which was proven by your team and all the other 5.20 cars you don't need it) and other new technology that is out there that is probably worth a tenth and a half.

If that was all to happen and the NHRA was to mandate that only the good tracks in the seven divisions were allowed to host these fast cars, then and only then would we see a class that was close to parity.

I loved the fact that the EPHA car went 5.10 And that is the truth), but I hate the fact that the best BAD only went 5.34.

And as far as Bucky tuning the cars goes. I will bet you any reasonable amount that he did not do anything outside the box to make her go that quick.

He is one of the smartest guys out there and he runs a blown alcohol engine.

The differences are the amount of fuel and the clutch setting, between the two types of cars (BAD and TAFC),timing and everything else are basically the same.

I bet you $100.00 that next year with another year tuning that car, if in fact he does, and there is no rule change, that Bucky will not tune that car to a run quicker than a high 5.20 in the best possible conditions. The best tuners in the BAD class (SANTOS and GRIMES, sorry Marty, you are right behind them), did not tune BAD's this year, and I would say that Bucky is one of the best alky tuners there are. Also Bucky's basic theory once the car is on the track is; "Rev the shit out of it, period".

Remember this Bill, I am proud of your dad's accomplishments, and would say it to his face if he wasn't pissed at me.
    He holds a grudge like a woman (sorry ladies), and I know that that statement will piss him off more. But, I have nothing to lose.
    He and you have to move off the "screw the BAD attitude", because they still are the 65% majority of the class, and they have a right to be competitive.
    He should be a little more understanding (or maybe it is you that aren't as he has not said to much on any site since the late spring when we went at it) and put input in to make the class stronger. And if he thinks he does not need guys like Will or me to help make this class stronger and get the exposure it and he deserves, he is dead wrong.

Because in all the success you guys have had this year and especially this past weekend, there is nothing on NHRA.com or DRC to give you accolades for your accomplishments.
    I did and around 7,000 top alky and SpeedZone fans logged onto my site since Friday to read about it. And I did it all year for your team despite him being pissed at me for not agreeing with him defending my favorite track.

I'm done, for now! :D :D
    (hopefully there are not too many spelling errors)

Dean

[ November 15, 2004, 08:51 PM: Message edited by: The Zone ]

5. Kevin Brown

Kevin Brown Top Dragster

I wonder if we can run in Super comp?.....that would be cool...8.90 @ 260 mph...now that would wake em up at 1000'...nah there would be disparity doing that as well....

Kevin

6. The Zone

The Zone Member

Kevin, you kill me.
    :D [​IMG]
    Hope to see you up here in 2005

Dean

7. Kevin Brown

Kevin Brown Top Dragster

Dean, we will be there....we're gonna run that 6.30 class....gotta come to my favorite Canadian track!...miss you guys up there...

Kevin

8. 310TAD

310TAD Top Alcohol

Dean,
    No apology necessary. I'm honored to be mentioned in the same line with the Santo's and Mr. Grimes. That was the awsome foursome.

Kevin,
    I'm sure you could get away with it in Super Comp. Go try ! LOL

Have a great day all,

9. wkdivr

wkdivr Member

It's about time NHRA finally tried to slow the A/FD's down a little bit! I seem to remember quite a few years ago that a certain racer who finally after years, and years of flogging FINALLY got the big block Chevy/Olds combo to run good and not break parts had to eventually add so much weight that it finally did effect the tune-up. One year, there was at least 3 races in a row, they changed the weight break, and had to add weight right then ,and there!That effectively signaled the beginning of the end of that combination. How would the A Fuel crowd like that!!! I know...times have changed, and all the cars run a lot harder, now, but I just had to throw that in.

10. Kevin Brown

Kevin Brown Top Dragster

Marty I will if you will.....Hey Why don't we start dialing our TAD cars in? Does someone make a delay box that will work with the MSD 44's? LOL

Kevin

11. ROF

ROF Top Dragster

Not that anyone gives a s**t about my opnion but here it is anyway.

TAD/TAFC has ALWAYS been about hauling ass. Why is it that all we here is SLOW down the A/Fuel cars? What the hell is going on? Damn this ain't SG/SC racing. Maybe NHRA needs to change the rules to read "A/Fuel must run throttle stops so the blown cars can keep up".

Let the blown cars have the Gizmo. WHY DOES NHRA SAY THEY CAN'T HAVE IT??????? Has there ever been a clear explanation as to why they can't? Do they dislike Norm that much? The blown guys want the Gizmo. GIVE THEM WHAT THEY WANT.

Both A/Fuel and Blown teams need to flood NHRA with emails demanding they allow the Gizmo. At least then NHRA will have to give a valid reason for not allowing it. If they have given a reason I am not aware of it.

It's a sad day in TAD racing when Mitch sets a new TAD record and the NHRA has hardly made mention of it. Think they give a rats ass about us.

[ November 16, 2004, 11:17 AM: Message edited by: ROF ]

12. The Zone

The Zone Member

ROF, it is an interesting question on why no gizmo. Here is my take. When those few guys tried it four or five years ago, when Norm tried to stretch the rules. NHRA did not like that.
    THeir excuse is that they don't want the extra expense for the teams.
    Right now, they aren't considering the extra expense of revving the crap out of them to try and make up for the disparity and it is costing major cash in parts breakage and alot more frequent parts attrition.

You are absolutely right about not giving Mitch even a little bit of recognition. it sucks

They went .112 quicker than any other car has gone this year and took .12 off the record. If that ain't worth something,
    then, well.............I don't get it.

At least I know Bob Frey will a crap later this week on DRC's "From the TOwer" or "Di you know"

Dean

13. ch3no2

ch3no2 New Member

I saw Bartone's new A/fuel car for sale in National Dragster for 160,000 with tune-up. There's one option for a blown guy to go faster.

14. Dan Lynch

Dan Lynch Member

Who is Mike Kosky???

15. mike w.

mike w. TAFC

I'm new here, but I would like to comment on this discussion. I'm sure thinking outside the box is lots of fun, unfortunately it doesn't matter because it's all just laws of physics.
    Because of NHRA's rules banning any modification to the present motors (valve angles,etc.), we can only make minor changes to the blown or nitro motors breathing ability. That only leaves rpm's to improve power and we know the blown car is already pushing it's rpm limits.
    Unfortunately for the blown cars, the nitro cars still have about 4000 rpms to play with. They literally haven't scratched the surface of their performance potential. It's not technically possible for the alky car to win this war under NHRA's present rules. It's simply 25-30 gallons of nitro on the starting line verses 12 gallons of alcohol. That's a lot more available power for the nitro car and after all is said and done drag racing is just horsepower and traction. The car with the most of both wins.
    As to the look on Darriens face. I think he was very proud to see someone do so well with an intake system that he was instrumental in developing. There was definitely no problem with the look on his face on Sunday night!!!

16. wkdivr

wkdivr Member

Damn!!! Someone remembers! Remember the "Hemiroid"

17. David Smith

David Smith Member

ROF from my many conversations with NHRA officals this year over the Top Alcohol Dragster Class. When the Gizmo Blower is mentioned the first words out of there mouths is it will create more oil downs. I myself like to see the cars go faster and faster but at the same time I care about my friends safety too when it comes to some of the divisional tracks out there.

18. scott hall

scott hall Member

"I am a long time member of this class, and I can almost laugh when people try to defend their unfair advantage by saying it's just whining. You invest your life in something, and you have a right to have input, and to be treated fairly. You don't like it? That's OK ! Bring out your BA/D and show me I'm wrong." - Marty

Well, That quote reminds me of when the Hemi guys bitches about a small block dragster from california so much that they put that combination out business. Along with my fathers car, that was already a tenth behind santos, The Hemi guys din't like the "advantage" of that combination either. So, santos abandoned his lifes work, and got into the "Hemi" car and slaughtered all of the complainers for 5 years. Its funny that his performance would still be championship caliber.

B/AD still are the base of the class though. The guys who still have B/AD are seeing the writing on the wall, and find it hard to see there lifes work and investment become obsolete. Sucks, don't it.

19. T.Howell

T.Howell Member

The situation seems similar to when the screw blowers came out.

I said this 2 years ago ( got burned to the wrist pins on this site) and still believe it will happen:

Roots blower= Pro Mod
    Screw blower= funny car
    A/Fuel=dragsters

20. 310TAD

310TAD Top Alcohol

Scott,
    I did not have anything to do with running your father, or any other racer out of competition. I am not looking to run the AF/D's out either. I just don't want the BA/D's (hemi, chevy, or whatever) out of business. If you owned a BA/D operation today, you would probably feel the same.
    BTW, is you position at Moroso in Public Relations? You don't ever seem to like racers much.

Have a good day,