cylinder head temperature

Discussion in 'PSI Superchargers Tech Questions' started by SoDak, Jul 2, 2015.

1. SoDak

SoDak Active Member

Is anyone using the head temp as a way to tune?

Such as the hotter the head after the run the leaner it was?

2. Mike Canter

Mike Canter Top Dragster
    Staff Member

Too many variables affect cylinder head temps and the sensor is very slow in reacting. I have never found a use for cylinder head temps but if somebody knows something then I to would be interested. You can read it realtime on the Racepak dash to aide in warming the motor up. The problem during the run is that it is up to both the ambient temp, how long ago you warmed the motor up, how long you sat in the staging lanes, how long of a burnout, how long staging and ignition timing and fuel settings. I would think it would be more important to a bracket racer.

3. Will Hanna

Will Hanna We put the 'inside' in Top Alcohol
    Staff Member

head temp

There is not a lot of value in monitoring head temp down track but it is very useful in keeping track of what head temp you have going into stage. Much like a bracket racer, if you want your car to run consistent, you need to have the same head temp at stage.

Different head temps can cause a wide array of problems in terms of wheel speed and engine tune ups. More or less head temp will affect the aggressiveness of the motor early. A real hot head may be more prone to pre-ignition vs a cooler head. Years ago everybody got the heads real hot because the mags couldn't light the fuel as good without some pre ignition help. A mag 44 really doesn't need any help from the head.