could the resurgance of blown entries die away as quick as it came?

Discussion in 'Pit Buzz' started by Will Hanna, Feb 12, 2007.

1. Darren Smith

Darren Smith New Member

So the A-Fuel guys are complaining the Blown guys are quitting now? You guys should be glad, less headaches for you guys right? Or will the class become boring with No blown cars to beat up on???

Last edited: Feb 15, 2007
  2. alky racer

alky racer New Member

59 days and counting till my new funny car arrives can not wait to be done with all this parity stuff. It will be nice to wake up race morning and not care what the weather is! If there are a-fuel cars out there that honestly believe that there is parity between the two sides I am dumb founded. It will be intresting to see what happens when all the blown cars are gone and there are not enough cars to fill the divisional fields then what? I guess most are just worried about there cars instead of the good of the class. The writing is not just on the wall for the blown cars it might be on the wall for the whole class if it continues on this course.

3. ch3no2

ch3no2 New Member

When top-fuel went to the set back blower did half the teams bitch about how unfair it was that the guys who had one were too fast? No, they switched to the combination that gave them the best chance to win. Same thing here. Every a-fuel guy says it costs less to run one than a blown car. I guess the cost comes from the "switch". I understand this is a sportsman class and not everyone has the budget to make it. The bottom line is had it not been for a near perfect season from Reichert, Sean would be the world champ with a blown car.

4. Pat McGill

Pat McGill Member

To what year are you referring?

5. Darren Smith

Darren Smith New Member

ch3no2 why are you complaining? Isn't an all A-fuel class been you guy's goal all along?

6. Dan Lynch

Dan Lynch Member

The Afuel cars have been faster than the blown cars for over 15 years now...

7. kosky racing

kosky racing Comp Eliminator

Figuring it out

:rolleyes:
    Dan I guess that we are not smart enough to figure it out in all that time.What is there to [FIGURE IT OUT] Switch or leave.Either we get some d ivine wisdom or the C blower .I believe we have come to the end of the class as it is structured. Mike

8. eli

eli Banned

how about taking a lesson from nascar, is there a fuel addative that nhra would alow to even up the two classes??? :)

9. Kosmo

Kosmo tad

yeah. its called alcohol. something the a-fueler doesnt use except for starting!;)

Last edited: Feb 17, 2007
  10. Kevin Brown

Kevin Brown Top Dragster

And mixing of course!

Just keepin it real....

And its A FUEL not FEUL

KB

11. tad2155

tad2155 Member

tad/a-fuel-promod

hey Kosmo: don't worry the bama boys will be back just regrouping

G Fred

12. Woodchip

Woodchip Top Alcohol Dragster

Have the Allen bros switched to A/Fuel? I see they have a new McKinney entered with a smallish motor for Gainesville.

13. Kosmo

Kosmo tad

Yes, Artie is running af/d, and still has the blown combo also.

14. streethot

streethot New Member

and the lost whipplecharger? old stuff could be back again.....

15. afuelfreak

afuelfreak New Member

take the % away from us a-fuelers it's the cheapest way , & will cost everyone less $$$ , & also give em the c- blower , the fuelers always seem to fiqure it out , they are like the MARINES improvise , adapt , & overcome ,
    also if all the blown guys quit , that would be the worst impact for our great sport , that we all have fun particapting in week in & week out, @ this rate
    their wont be many blown teams left , :confused:

16. 310TAD

310TAD Top Alcohol

freak

Hi Ethan,
    Much love, brother. You going to Houston?

Marty

17. bobbyblue359

bobbyblue359 New Member

Just Talked To Barry At Rcd. They Don't Have A Dual Idler Set Up. He Thinks Norm Grimes Makes One. Where Do We Find One To Test It. Gotta Get One Quick, As Indy Is Coming Up.

18. alky racer

alky racer New Member

Grimes does make them so give him a call. If by chance he does not have one let me know I have three set ups I might be willing to sell one.

19. bobbyblue359

bobbyblue359 New Member

C Blower ?

ABOUT THE C BLOWER: EVERYONE SEEMS TO THINK IT'S A GOOD BET FOR US BLOWN GUYS. THE MATH TELLS ME THAT AT 11000 @ 2.18 + 10% INTERNAL OD MAKES THE ROTOR SPEED 26378. ROTORS COME APART AT 26000. SOMEBODY WILL HAVE TO INVENT NEW ROTORS FIRST, BEFORE I OIL THE TRACK WITH MY MONEY. IT'S A FUEL OR NOTHING NOW. I"D LOVE TO SEE 360 CID RULE FOR A FUEL OR A 3.90 GEAR RULE. I KNOW I'M CRYING IN MY BEER, BUT IT'S FASTER THAN WAITING FOR THE SALT TO DRY ON THE RIMS OF THE GLASS.

20. O.J.D.

O.J.D. New Member

Is the c blower really the answer?

The post asking if anyone dyno'ed with the new OD. It doesn't really matter... When I hear Norn Grimes, Jerry Maddern and Brad Anderson talking about the heads will not flow any more air, the c probably won't help any on the top end. We have not really seen any improvement from any team due to the new OD.

Chris does a great job on our fuel system and by doing the math he figured on how much fuel to add with the new OD, but the plugs are cold and I just don't feel the heat in the motor. Maybe the right amount of fuel but no place for the air to go when the blower is spinning that fast? Math doesn't lie. If you run colder with the new OD and give it the same % of fuel, something is stopping the air.

I see the post mentioning valve springs. You just can't spin these motors any faster. The HP tapers off over 9500 and were on the rev limit at 10500 going through the lights. To fix that the right gear is not available... could try a taller tire, but either way they don't make it through the shake zone. We need more power at lower rpm.

They could give us more OD to compensate at the lower rpm, but then the blower comes apart at the top...

So, is the C the answer? YES. there is no other option to speed up the blown combo. We put on the 36" tire, the C helps make the power needed in the lower rpm to push through the shake. We lower the total rpm range throughout the run due to the tire diameter which eleviates the top end limit of the heads and we break fewer springs.

but...we still wouldn't run in the teens

look at these numbers from Tucson

1) Shields, Boulder City, Nev., 5.240, 278.52 was unopposed

2) Chris Demke, Sunland, Calif., 5.504, 261.12 def.

adjusted alt. was what?? that kind of says it...

Is taking a few more % away from a-fuel the answer? NO. TF make a lot more power now on 85% than they ever did on 100%. A-fuel on 90% will go just as fast as they do now after a season of figuring it out.

I may be ignorant about many things in this sport, but I'm not stupid. Neither is NHRA. They know exactly what they are doing, but its not for parity in this class. Plain and simple, they just wan't people to switch.

...in my opinion anyway.

I got a question thought. Did the extra weight added help a-fuel load up better?