Clutch disc and floater grinder

Discussion in 'Pit Buzz' started by lambfunnycar, Mar 18, 2010.

1. Lethal Threat Racing

I have one of Conways floater checker. It works great. I thought I was doing it right untill I got the checker. They are worth the money. I think the heat is what truly makes them wave. You have to keep the cutting slow and sharp.

2. A. Hadfield

The wave is not only from heat it is produced from the harmonic produced by the machine you're using. dry or wet all machines produce this to a degree it doesn't matter. a dry cut once heated is a real challenge, i cut them all then let them cool and go back and retouch. multiple flips seem to be a working choice. time consumption is a real bugger. the alternative choice is a finished product that isn't flat

3. Dave Germain

Dave Germain New Member

How do I find out about this Conway floater checker? I have seen several referrences to it but I don't know anything about it or myabe more importantly-where to get one? Dave Germain

4. rodsmachineshop

rodsmachineshop New Member

will be making a wet grinder set up after i use mine for for awhile

dry is ok but wet grinding is cleaner and better

5. Mark Leigh

Mark Leigh Member

Me too, how does one contact Conway or does he have a website ?

6. eli

eli Banned

floater's

The reason the floaters warp in the first place is because they have what i call 12 end's
    if the floater was round with holes instead of U shaped they would only have 1 end and the heat would dissipate evenly, then they won't warp, i know they don't have room in the bell housing for round floaters, they could make the bell housing bigger in diameter, so the round disks fit, Or use a smaller diameter clutch, just make sure the ends of the disks are square.