carolina nationals 4 lane track

Discussion in 'Pit Buzz' started by crewman, Sep 11, 2008.

1. crewman

crewman Member

We all know that Bruten smiths new zmax dragway has 4 lanes of asphalt. has there been any word on how the will be used this weekend. Last i heard is that they were going to use 2 lanes for the pro catagories and the other to for us sportsman guys. Just wondering what was going on.

2. F/C Girl

F/C Girl New Member

apparently there is no rubber on the right lanes, only left lanes are in use.

:)

3. lowcountry71

lowcountry71 New Member

after watching qualifying friday i can answer some of your question. the track is all concrete from behind the starting line to past the 1/4 mile mark. i had heard that there was a problem with getting the scoreboards to switch their displays from one track to the other. i also heard that NHRA might be part of the problem with running 2 race tracks side by side. my guess is there might be an insurance concern with running both tracks at the same time that will need to be addressed before going any farther. currently the "left" track is the only one they are using and the "right" has timing devices in place but no rubber on the track - only virgin unused concrete. but i'll bet that sometime in the near future they will run both tracks very close to the same time. i can see where both tracks would make for a quicker race for even possibly live TV by speeding up the actual racing. the potential for this track to be even better is unlimited. its the first time i have seen funny cars run side by side with almost the same ETS to the thousandth in the 4.00 range. during the night session of funny car qualifying force was the only car to have traction problems - he and ashley were the last pair and i'll bet they had her hopped up to run in the 3.90s. he went from 2nd in the first qual round to past 12th in the 2nd round. dixon waited until the last pair to run his low qual #. all in all its starting out to be a great track.

4. mike kirk

mike kirk New Member

What a drag strip...that Bruton Smith really knows how to make things happen.

5. crewman

crewman Member

yes its a very nice track. Thanks for the replies