Car weight advice

Discussion in 'PSI Superchargers Tech Questions' started by Relentless, Jan 29, 2010.

1. Relentless

Relentless www.bretitanium.com

This might seem like a completly random post but I need some advice as to where we can lose some weight from our car.

[​IMG]

It tips the scales at just over 2200lbs...

This is a Steve Plueger funny car chassis, topolino body, rear wing, Donovan solid block, Morgan billet heads, Kobelco 14/71 blower, Browell can (main items of weight)

How and where can we reduce the weight of this car?

Answers might well be obvious but I want to get every lb I can off of the car

Any advice would be great.

2. AFC357

AFC357 New Member

Carbon, Magnesium and Ti wherever ya can afford it! Kool looking ride though. Is that 2200 with or w/o driver? I can get my FC over the scales at 2200 w/driver.

3. Relentless

Thats the plan, really want as much weight gone as we can. Thanks for comments too! Thats just over 2200 with driver. he has lost some lbs too :)

4. hemi altered 378

hemi altered 378 Blown Altered

we just put our car on a diet last year....it now weighs 1785 ready to race with no driver. do you have onboard batteries? if so, you can lose a bunch there. we took ours out and plug in to start....i use a small gel battery for the shift lite and tach. a titanium can will drop a few pounds. a 3 speed B&J is a little lighter than a Lenco i think. you run the f/c front wheels/tires....the 17" dragster wheels/tires will save a few pounds. not sure if you have front brakes or not. i saved 15 pounds on making myself a new set of headers. a carbon body would help too. mag idler, and pullies, manifold, injector hat, etc. it's difficult to lose weight in big chunks. i just looked at every piece of the car and tried to see if i could change it and lose a pound here and there. another thing is wheels and tires. beadlocks will be lighter than liners and tubes. there are a few pounds difference in brands of tires too. just go over everything with a fine tooth comb....you might surprise yourself.
    Darren
    [​IMG]

5. Relentless

Darren
    Thanks for the great reply, no we use rcd starter, do have very small gel battery for the tach/light but thats it.
    Can is one place we looked at, I know we can definetly trim some excess material off of it which will save some weight.
    Do have a 3 speed lenco but thats fairly new so dont wanna change that really, want to keep front wheels too as were thinking of buying a funny car body too. Think were just going to pull the car to pieces and like you say look at every part, cut every bolt down to what it needs to be etc.
    Already got beadlocks too, we made the hat ourselves too so dont wanna change that in a hurry but I think idlers is somewhere we could look at losing some weight, might even make a new one.
    Thanks again

6. Ron C

Ron C Jr. Dragster

When building or fabricating pieces for the race car you need to be in a constant state of mind in regards to weight. It's almost an obsession, every bolt only needs to be as long as it needs to be, extra cut it off. Brackets only need to serve there function, no frills.
    Look at everything on the car, and be creative and honest about it's function and how can you make it the irreducible minimum and still be safe and legal.

(Here is the battery, some Pro Mod Teams are using them.)
    Star Racing makes a 18 volt (like drill battery) for race cars. Recharge and clip it in for next round to run your misc.
    MILWAUKEE 18V BATTERIES, 2 PK, 2.4 AMP MILWAUKEE 18V BATTERIES, 2 PK, 2.4 AMP
    MILWAUKEE 18V BATTERIES, 2 PK, 2.4 AMP. PRICED PER PACK OF 2.
    PRICE: $157.50

MILWAUKEE BATTERY BRACKET/HOLDER, 18 VOLT MILWAUKEE BATTERY BRACKET/HOLDER, 18 VOLT
    MILWAUKEE 18 VOLT BATTERY BRACKET/HOLDER. SOLD EACH.
    PRICE: $209.00

Blessings.........Ron Clevenger.

Last edited: Jan 30, 2010
  7. john348

john348 Top Alcohol

yea Tim but you only weigh a buck 49 lbs
    not like the rest of us 200+ guys :D:D
    but if you can change as much as you can to Ti or mag
    i took almost 12 lbs out just making Ti studs and brackets
    consider alum outers on your headers -8 lbs right there if you can find them

8. hemi altered 378

hemi altered 378 Blown Altered

also....if you run a T/F tire you can save a bunch right there. that is alot of tire for that car...just something else to consider.

9. Scouder

Scouder New Member

OK, you got my attention with that one. What are we talking about? Double wall headers?

-Scouder

10. Will Hanna

Will Hanna We put the 'inside' in Top Alcohol
    Staff Member

light

There's no magic to lightening a car, it just takes time, and mostly more money for carbon, ti, and mag. You can poor boy lighten it by trimming excess length off bolts, and using half nuts where possible. You will be surprised how much weight is there. Paint jobs and body work add weight to a car in a hurry. A powder coated or painted chassis will add weight.

Take a hard look at your fuel system plumbing. Can lines be consolodated? Light weight hose such as Goodridge is available that can probably take 10 lbs off a car vs stainless.

Are all the gauges essential on the car?

I may be wrong, but I think that Fiat body is the weight area to gain the most. If it's glass you could probalby save a bunch with a newer carbon body (obvious).

If you can go to dragster headers, like Darren said, another weight savings there.

Just start in the front of the car and analize every component. Can you trim it, drill it, lighten it and still have it work and be safe.

11. jim phillips

jim phillips ta/fc

after putting a new fiat body on my car i can tell you that my 07 mustang body complete was alot heavier than what the fiat is complete and i felt like my mustang body was light

12. AFC357

AFC357 New Member

I wish 149! That reminds me though, I built some special light weight headers that were 18# less that anyones but ya better have a welder at the track!

13. Relentless

Many thanks for all the replies. Whilst weight saving is an obvious thing I wanted to cover EVERYTHING.

I have already made enquiries about getting all of our chassis panels/seat/belly pan made in carbon fibre, this will save a few pounds

We will be trimming all we can off of the can (steel) wish we had the funds for Ti but we dont at present. (how much can these be picked up for used?)

One place I want to look at is our shifter bottle, we can use a smaller one for sure.

Then we are going to look at EVERY part on the car and if safe lose weight from it wether it be by drilling/lathe/mill OR remake it lighter and of new design/material

Were pretty handy on lathes/mills and have 4 so we can knock up most things which helps.

In the process were going to fit a new Strange steering box and sfi quick release hub, not for weight but for safety.

Little things like drilling out dzus brackets too

Please keep ideas coming like I said I dont wanna to miss anything obvious.

Thanks again.

14. Dave Germain

Dave Germain New Member

The difference between my hays steel can and my Tit bellhousing was 35 pounds all by itself. Also the fuel line thing- startline hose weighs half of what braided stainless steel hose weighs. A bunch of weight there to be saved. Don't be afraid to put the squeeze on the driver. I lost 50 pounds last year and that was the cheapest of the weight savings- just don't eat so much. Dave Germain

15. underby6

underby6 Active Member

Depending on the rules Trick now makes Alum cans. They're substantially lighter than Ti and WAY cheaper. Check out www.tricktitanium.com for the pertinents. As far as a used Ti can price....if it's out of cert, probably around $1750-ish....maybe a bit more. I sent you a PM on some ideas for weight savings.

Regards,
    Brandon Booher
    NHRA TAD #44

16. Scouder

Scouder New Member

I was visiting the shop of a friend of mine who races snowmobiles. He had already put aluminum and titanium bolts everywhere he could, so he was going back through and dishing the bolt heads, and hollow drilling bolts.

-Scouder

17. Will Hanna

Will Hanna We put the 'inside' in Top Alcohol
    Staff Member

$$

You can get used Ti cans in the neighborhood of $2500 give or take. You'll spend big bucks on carbon panels, when the biggest, easiest savings will be with the can.

Also, remember you're not racing a comp car. I'd say a 100 lbs is roughly .05-.06 in your application. I'm just saying before you spend a bunch on lightweight stuff, make sure that money won't get you more return in another area such as engine mods, etc.

18. Relentless

Can is top of the list for buying, if anyone knows of any.

Understand about carbon but were lucky to have a sponsor that will make them for us, he is very good, made a complete carbon injector (hopefully can bring further news about that this year)

Just the panels must be a few pounds.

Also Goodridge are a sponsor of ours so I am going to see about lighter hoses, like you say its an easy way to lose weight.

Headers were going to keep as we made them and they will work with a funny car (once we add second skin)

19. Relentless

Thanks again for all the replies.

We have set a target to lose 200lbs from the car (race ready)

Lots to do!

20. PROMOD63

PROMOD63 Member

On the battery deal will the small batterys run a data logger as well as a tach andshift light ? Does someone have a number of somewhere toget the small batterys mentioned earlier ?