Bryant billet crank, fix it or?

Discussion in 'PSI Superchargers Tech Questions' started by SMOKIN JOE, Sep 10, 2012.

1. SMOKIN JOE

SMOKIN JOE Member

I have a Billet Bryant 4 1/8" crank from one of my 481x's, Bryant found 1 crack in a rod journal and 1 in a main journal, They say they can fix it for apx $ 700. I'm not sure how many runs are on the crank but know were it came from, Is it worth fixing it ?, Would you trust the repair and run it again? , How much is the crank worth if I sold it as is? What would you guys do ? Thanks.

2. shawn davis

shawn davis Member

I broke a crank in my 481x once, dont trust it. Took the block, all rods,pistons and beat the heads nad cam up too.

3. Ron C

Ron C Jr. Dragster

4. underby6

underby6 Active Member

If Bryant said they can fix it they're saying Marine can fix it; as that's who does all their repairs. Being able to be fixed and being useful are two different things. For $700 plus $100 or more in shipping you could roll that money into a new one and not have to worry about it wrecking your engine.

Brandon Booher
    NHRA TAD #34

5. Ken Sitko

Ken Sitko Super Comp

I definitely agree with Brandon

6. SoDak

SoDak Active Member

IMO
    If an extra ordinary event cracked it, IE a clutch imbalance problem, a rod broke, etc., then you might be able to weld it up and be ok, asuming you fixed the problem that caused it. If the crank cracked because that is how hard you normally punish it (you normally run that much power and that lean) then it will crack quicker the second time then the first time, as the welded crack is not as strong as the original.