Bought a KB HEMI - Now What? lol

Discussion in 'Pit Buzz' started by HOSEDRAGGER, Jan 20, 2021.

1. HOSEDRAGGER

HOSEDRAGGER New Member

Okay,
    I bought a Keith Black 526ci Stage 15 HEMI with 2.5 Veney Heads, 20V Mag Drive. It came intake to oil pan.

I'm all new to HEMI's so looking for any guidance that I can find. Is there anything that I need to be aware of with this Motor? For example: I've read something about pre-lubing the valve train before startup. Is that something that I need to do?

I'm looking for any advice on:
    *Pre-Race Maintenance & Preparation
    *Raceday Stuff
    *Post-Race maintenance(how many runs before refresh?)

It is 'wet' sump. Do I need to go to a dry sump?

Can anyone tell me more about this KB HEMI? I've looked all over on line and haven't found a lot on the Stage 15. I called and left a message with Ken Black, but haven't heard anything back yet. I am hoping that they can send me a spec sheet.

Here's my setup:
    '70 Chevelle - Double Frame Rail - 6.0 Chassis - T/S, and some No Prep - Goals 6.10-6.20

I currently have a Mooneyham 14-71 Standard Helix. I received some great advice on this Forum and I will be selling it...

What Brand/Model 14-71 HH should I be looking for that will get all that I can from this Motor?(No, I can't afford a Screw Blower, but I wish that I could!) How much H.P. can I expect, I realize that there are countless variables, so I'm just looking for some ballpark numbers?

I'd like to find a 'COMPLETE' 14-71 HH setup used for under 8K. Crazy? By 'COMPLETE', I mean everything from the blower down. I already have a BAU Top Hat. I need blower, belt tensioner, fuel pump, barrel valve, MFI block & hoses, belt guard and anything else that I may not be aware of. Where would be the best place to look for a complete setup like this?

Following advice from here I will get the Fuel System Flowed.

A friend of a friend works on a Top Alcohol Team. He will be helping me with the setup and Tuning when the time comes. I'm still a few months away from completing the build on the car. Luckily that gives me a lot of time to learn all that I can.

I greatly appreciate you guys helping a new guy out.

2. HOSEDRAGGER

HOSEDRAGGER New Member

Here it is...

Attached Files:

• 4.jpg
      4.jpg
      File size:
      256.3 KB
      Views:
    • 5.jpg
      5.jpg
      File size:
      195.9 KB
      Views:
    • 6.jpg
      6.jpg
      File size:
      235.4 KB
      Views:
  3. greenracing

greenracing Member

We ran the Veney 2.5's in a pulling truck for a bit. I'm not saying that pre-lubing the valve train isn't a good idea, but we never did. The little oil line to the side of the head that oils the rocker gear helped considerably with that.

(I've got a spare set of valves sitting on my shelf if you ever need them!)

Valve train is usually pretty stable and we always checked between runs, but typically nothing moved around much. But it's always good to take the covers off and look, it quick and easy to do.

You should be able to find a decent hi-helix blower setup that will do what you want for under 8K - just watch the classifieds, or put a WTB ad out and people will find you.

4. HOSEDRAGGER

HOSEDRAGGER New Member

Thank you, good info.

5. Keith Black RacingEngines