Blue printing 44 mag

Discussion in 'PSI Superchargers Tech Questions' started by jay70cuda, Dec 21, 2011.

1. Alkydrag

Alkydrag Sr. Dragster

I remember when we used to run 2, 20 amp mags, one of the mags went dead. Right away you could tell the difference in the motor. I'm with Will.

2. Mike Canter

Mike Canter Top Dragster
    Staff Member

Marklee, there is only one correct AFR for power with methanol. The answer to your question is no. That is as far as I am taking that because we would have another lengthy discussion and for sure it would get into or too close to giving out tuning secrets. The Promag 44 and coil for a nitro car is exactly the same as used on a alky car.

3. Creech

Creech Member

A points mag for a nitro motor is wound different than an alcohol motor because the nitro motor needs a long duration spark you would probably use some not so cold projeted tip spark plugs and melt them off completly during the run. I think my alcohol cobalt magneted (out of a mag 5 so I dont have to send it back to be recharged) don zig point plate timed 12 amp super mag III and red transformer would fire a little bit "fat and lazy down low" screw blown hemi with the right plugs, say ngk B9ES's so that your little bit fat #1 and #7 dont go more cold for more than a second like with a msd 44 amp welder and super cold hidden ground strap 11 plugs because you have to worry about hot spots in an alcohol motor or it will end up running on aluminum like a nitrous motor or something.

Not saying that it isnt good to have someone like Bob at BR check out you msd mag even if you buying a brand new one.

Marty

Last edited: Jan 11, 2012
  4. turboDrag

turboDrag Member

http://www.msdpromag.com/archive.htm
    Heres the link down the page Promag 66amp... Very old 2002 !!!
    Im with Will on this topic..
    More Mag = Burn fuel faster,possibly giving time to burn more of it?.

5. marklee

marklee Blown Alcohol Dirt Drags

Thanks Mike, I am in no way questioning your or anyone's tuning capabilities. You are one of alot of knowledgeable guys on this site especially with ignitions, Doesn't A/F ratios change from the starting line to the end of the track? . The air/fuel ratio (AFR) to achieve best torque in an alcohol motor is generally around 5 parts of air to 1 part of fuel (5:1). The AFR for best horsepower is a bit leaner at approximately 5.4:1. Just asking, not trying to start another lengthy thread. Or is it one correct # ?

6. Mike Canter

Mike Canter Top Dragster
    Staff Member

Let me ask you a question. With a Roots or screw blown car what percentage of the run is more dependent on torque than horsepower?

7. Creech

Creech Member

Isnt it closer to 3.2:1 afr for high boost 50+psi supercharged methanol. Ive seen they make big power with .400 bsfc numbers and 10:1 afr on naturaly asperated carburator gas engines.

Am I backwards on the mags? Its alcohol that likes long duration spark and nitro that likes a high voltage powerful spark and it will either go off or it wont.

8. Will Hanna

Will Hanna We put the 'inside' in Top Alcohol
    Staff Member

mag

just as long as the plug fires, it really doesn't matter what kind of mag, duration, amps or any of that.

i've got a mallory unilite going in fosters car since hei cap won't fit under the blower.

9. Creech

Creech Member

the plug fires if you try to start a cold engine on alcohol it will not start because theres no vapor ( alcohol boils at 150 degrees) my chevy wouldhardly run cold with ngk 10's cold. Gas engines tend to like a multy spark at low rpm to keep the plugs clean and a short high energy spark at high rpms just to get it lit but even natural asperated alcohol fuel ingected engines seem to work better with mags.My uncle use to have a 11:1 comp bbc alky injected 454 in his 56 chevy we ran ngk7 plugs and super mag it was super consistant I won the fist time I ever drove the car.

The guys who file and acid etch their blowers might put something called isopentane in their fuel and I dont think they would need the 55 amp mag.

Here is an example of a bad msd box. They rewired it to strait ignition and fixed their miss(4 cylinders have plenty of time to saturate the coil even with points). Its not alcohol but it sounds pretty cool
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b1Th2JG4h9g&feature=related
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zYkb542laiM

Marty