Best way to Launch

Discussion in 'PSI Superchargers Tech Questions' started by Critical Mass, May 24, 2017.

1. Critical Mass

Critical Mass Member

I need a soft launch to hook up my jet boat with a blown alky motor. In the past, we used a rev limiter curve at the launch and was told that I would hurt the motor that way. Currently, at the launch I'm taking 20 deg of timing out with a Grid and ramping it back in.

Recently, I was told that removing timing will hurt the motor? Now I am confused. Any help would be appreciated - rev limiter, timing, or what?

We have run a 5.68 in a 1000 ft, but you always want more.
    Thanks, Joe

2. Will Hanna

Will Hanna We put the 'inside' in Top Alcohol
    Staff Member

I have a hard time believing removing timing will hurt the motor.

Now if you don't have a big mag cap, you may run the risk of cross firing because the rotor will be too far out of phase for a small cap.

I run a Top Dragster with a screw blower that can't run quicker than 6.00. Many runs that combo runs with 10 degrees of timing out for 3.5-4 seconds. Parts look brand new when we check it.

3. Critical Mass

Critical Mass Member

Thanks Will for your response.

Yes, I use the big cap on my 44. I set the mag at 25 deg, about half way between my max and min timing range.

Remember in drag boat racing we start 125 ft before the tree, so a 5.68 is not that impressive. In open boats, no capsule, my goal is 4.0 sec to the 660 ft.

Thanks again for your comment. I'll continue to use timing to remove power instead of using the rev limiter. Joe

4. nitrowannabe

nitrowannabe Member

I think any blown alky, no capsule, jet boat is impessive.

TADHemiracer likes this.
  5. Critical Mass

Critical Mass Member

Thanks nitrowannabe for the nice comment.
    Joe