Best lube/oil to use on rings and pistons.

Discussion in 'PSI Superchargers Tech Questions' started by roar, Feb 28, 2010.

1. roar

roar New Member

What products are out there that you have found are best for using on rings when assembling engines. Changing to hellfire rings and wondering what produvts people are using for lube on rings and pistons.
    Thanks Lyle.

2. Mike Canter

Mike Canter Top Dragster
    Staff Member

Several ring companies sell a a special ring/piston lube that will not coke. Automatic transmission fluid will coke from high temps and stop the rings from freely moving. Lightweight synthetic motor oil also works. Just a very light coating. If it is too thick or too much it will stop the rings from seating all the way into the groove in the piston during installation.

I use the Total Seal Lube at http://www.summitracing.com/parts/TSR-AL4
    or at
    http://www.streetperformance.com/part/total-seal-piston-rings/assembly-lube/519568-al4.html

3. Chuck Stevens

Chuck Stevens New Member

O.t.

Lyle, The E-mail addy I have, for your folks does not work anymore. Can you PM me their new one? I'd hate to loose contact with them.
    Chuck.

4. Procharged GTA

Procharged GTA New Member

We used Marvel Mystery Oil on our newest Procharger Alcohol motor,and seemed to work great. We used regular oil to lube all the wrist pins,Marvel Mystery Oil to lube the rings and pistons,and Clevite 77 Bearing lube to lube the bearings.,Seems to have worked great.

5. camevans

camevans New Member

A lot of the best team use our Red Line assembly lube tubs and we finally released a liquid version last week. It's a personal preference, as some guys use the tubs in the trailer when they are building racks (it sticks well to the parts), putting it on skirts, rings, bearings, etc.

The liquid works better in the tool tray--there, guys use it on valvesprings, studs, and right before a ring compressor goes on.

These are some of very few products that totally emulsifies into the oil once it is through protecting at start up. It's a moly blend that is part of what you'd want in the motor oil anyway.

Cameron Evans
    Red Line Oil

6. Mike Canter

Mike Canter Top Dragster
    Staff Member

Cameron, I have never used it but it sounds good especially if it is synthetic and will not burn off and leave a coke deposit on initial startup. Is the liquid version low enough viscosity that it will allow the rings to be totally compressed into the piston without a "hydrolock"? (not sure if that is the correct term but I know that if the lube is too thick then it can produce an airtight seal between the rings and the piston so the air behind the ring cannot escape when using a ring compressor)