A/FRO A/FUEL RACERS ORGANIZATION

Discussion in 'Pit Buzz' started by Wendland, Sep 7, 2003.

1. Dean Adams

The AFDs are technologically unrestricted? What about that 2.90 gear limitation and no lock up clutch. If the AFDs could run a 2.50 - a few were made but when NHRA got wind of it they were outlawed - no blower on earth would make up the difference.

2. Nathan Sitko - 625 TAD/TAFC

...unless somehow all us blown guys and gals could just attach an airplane turbine to the top of our motors...but even then...

3. showard

showard New Member

Norm,

Sorry you didn't make it back for weekend two of the U.S. Nationals. We all enjoyed spending some time with you the previous weekend.

Thanks for the congratulations on the R/U at Indy. Please tell Pat hello for me and hope to see you again soon.

Shelly

4. Kingnitro

Kingnitro New Member

Speaking of Congrads, good job Shelly! You made it through the A-fuel minefield! See you in Dallas, Joe

5. Kingnitro

Kingnitro New Member

Well almost!

6. showard

showard New Member

Joe,

Thanks for the congrats. Yeah, it seems as though I didn't make it around one of them huh. It was still a good weekend though.

Looking forward to seeing you at the Motorplex and be sure to come by the trailer. See you then.

Shelly

7. Wendland

Wendland Guest

Wow, a lot has happened. The most important thing for me to do is to clairfy the PSI situation. Norm, your a lier and a cheater. I take it you don't go to chuch or fear God. You couldn't live with yourself...You asked for it...

First of all NHRA put the freeze on blower changes. Why, to less the exspense of the class so we didn't have to buy a blower every six weeks. Remember the whipple and PSI phases?

8. Wendland

Wendland Guest

Rob Wendland had nothing to do with that, the freeze. It was encouraged be the racers to NHRA. So back off!

The real "c' blower is t he guts to a "D". Fred Hagen, Myself, Randy Anderson and others, Tim Baxter had these when everyone was runnig whipples. Fred Mandolini told me to open up the front area around the bearings and it would produce more boost. It did. Norm got wind of this and the "D" blower was born. They open up the area in front, stuck a longer quil shaft in and now we have a bitchin blower. They used the "C" rotors to make the 'D". The new "E" blower the rotors are bigger. 15 guys and a small child cound't shove those puppies in there. The "E" is different and was never ran before 2000..

9. Wendland

Wendland Guest

Sorry, I have a very poor connection, I spell bad and type bad. Please understand...

After the world finals in 99, Norm didn't like the way the Afuel cars were runnig , like woods when he ran a 30 or something. Hell, he beat me in the second round out there and ran the 30 against me. So he went to the drawing boards to play got. He got together with some racers, \BLOWN one and deceiced to build a NEW blower without the consent of NHRA. Thats right an illegal blower. Who got them?

Shelly Howard
    Rick Santos
    Daune Shields
    Jay Meyer
    Billy Bybee
    Struasburgs
    Dale Carlson
    Nickelson
    Minors
    and others for a total of 13....

Pomona in 2000 was like the biggest preformance gain I have ever seen for a blown car. In fact, these people were using an illegal blower that has back dated SFI tags on them and were told not to tell anyone until they were able to get a bunch of them out there so NHRA would have to allow them in.....

10. Wendland

Wendland Guest

Sorry, I have a very poor connection, I spell bad and type bad. Please understand...

After the world finals in 99, Norm didn't like the way the Afuel cars were runnig , like woods when he ran a 30 or something. Hell, he beat me in the second round out there and ran the 30 against me. So he went to the drawing boards to play got. He got together with some racers, \BLOWN one and deceiced to build a NEW blower without the consent of NHRA. Thats right an illegal blower. Who got them?

Shelly Howard
    Rick Santos
    Daune Shields
    Jay Meyer
    Billy Bybee
    Struasburgs
    Dale Carlson
    Nickelson
    Minors
    and others for a total of 13....

Pomona in 2000 was like the biggest preformance gain I have ever seen for a blown car. In fact, these people were using an illegal blower that has back dated SFI tags on them and were told not to tell anyone until they were able to get a bunch of them out there so NHRA would have to allow them in.....

11. Wendland

Wendland Guest

Now, all the other blown guys who Norm has not told about this CHEATER blower are at a disadvantge. In fact these people were cheating. Some of our most popular TARA members.

To the phone call. At the div 4 race at Houston, I was with Vern Moats. Moats's blower broke a stretch bolt that holds one of the rotors together. It just came back from PSI and Norm was at the race. He said he would make good on it and said Bybee had a blower for sale. He in fact was going to sell us another 'D" blower when he knew it was going to be out dated in a month... Chicken Shit!!!!!! Bartone just bought a new PSI. Do you think it was the new "E" Hell no it was the D because he was a whipple man before... As Boggs......

My crank friend said that he was getting a bunch of cranks from blown cars with the mains knocked out of them....The result of shoving 10 pounds of shit in a 5 pound bag....62 psi.

12. Wendland

Wendland Guest

So Norm calls me. He asks if I have been mnsent entioning anything about a new blower? I said yes, I told he that I wasn't that dumb. That's when he told me after the world finals he went on to build a new blower, THE "E"... It's on tape, ask Jim Collins, Mike Gunderson, Steve Boggs....They heard it..He said he was unhappy the Afuel preformance and was taking matters in his own hands without the consent of NHRA...

13. Wendland

Wendland Guest

Sorry, last post was----mentioning---

Anyway, at Wendland Performance we record our phone calls so when we get authorization on estimates we have voice comformation. It is legal to record conversation as long as one of the two parties knows about it. So now we have a confirmed cheater. The blower on the shelf I have in payment from Bill Hynes is worth about half now. What would you have done? Most of the poeple I have looked up to are cheating and they were also my friends. You know they can't even look me in the face now... I gave the tape to Jim Collins.

14. Wendland

Wendland Guest

There is a better way to deal with issues than play God...I can build a website and let everyone hear it...I think if you doubt me, that is what it will take. You know a couple of the cheaters(Shelly and one other ) even went to NHRA to ask for help on trying to get their money back... That's like a druggie getting some bad drugs from his dealer and going to the police to ask for help....What do you have to say about that Norm...Do you want me to post the tape?... How about you Shelly, are you going to tell me you didn't know that it was an illegal blower? Don't try and tear my reputaion up, I have already been down, I just never brought you guys with me . It's starting to look like I need to fire up my bulldozer...by the way, it runs on nitro!!!!!

15. Kingnitro

Kingnitro New Member

Damn Rob, tell us how you really feel! Maybe NHRA does need to split the classes afterall, it's no longer about parity and balance but Egos!

16. showard

showard New Member

Rob.

All I have to say is that you're dilusional. I don't know why you have such a problem with me personally, but I would ask you to stop your accusations and personal vendetta.

Paul had told me you conveyed congratulations for the R/U, when you stopped by our pit Sunday. I was surprised after being told of the derogatory statements you've made concerning me and TARA. TARA has and will be here for the benefit of the entire class. Now I see that your approach and tactics haven't changed or mellowed over the years. By the way, I can look you in the eye, if I choose to, but I don't, not worth the effort.

It's sad that you obviously have a problem with me personally. I don't recall doing anything that would warrant that.

Shelly

17. was R4K

was R4K Member

a lot of info to decipher from all those posts- good to hear from two sides of the story although the third side (NHRA) would clear up some of the gray areas here.
    This thread is very interesting. All racers know that there has always been an "A" list and a "B" list when it comes to receiving new, innovative and performance enhancing products. This is just a fact of business along with supply and demand. The new lock up/not lock up clutch will be a good example- mfgrs will supply their best/long time customers along with current leaders in the class prior to servicing new comers or less high profile racers. That is reasonable. Testing illegal modifications with or without the knowledge of the user could be construed as unreasonable.
    This comment is not directed to any particular manufacturer, so please don't take offence Pat. It is a general comment and could effect ignitions-fuel pumps-clutches etc. When a racer uses a piece of equipment he likely does not have the expertise to take it apart and verify legallity. Sorry if this is long winded and I hope the thread continues. [​IMG]

18. Fuel Cars

Fuel Cars AA/AM

I don't see any of this helping the TAD class. Alot of accusations, hopefully alot of clearing-up.

was R4K, check your pm's.

19. paalexander

paalexander New Member

Bob: I think you might have misunderstood something that has been said on this thread. No customer of PSI has ever (knowingly or unknowingly) received anything that he would have to take apart in order to find an "illegal" part. There simply is no such thing. Furthermore, all NHRA blown alcohol owners stopped using the C when the NHRA banned it. Finally, regardless of what everyone "knows," there is no A list. Manufacturers are operating a business, not playing a team sport. It is in a manufacturer's best interest to sell as many products to as many people as will buy them. If someone wants to buy something, a good businessman will not say, "No, I don't want to sell that to you because you're not on my A list." Hogwash.

20. Will Hanna

Will Hanna We put the 'inside' in Top Alcohol
    Staff Member

well, here's the flip side to the c blower story as i know it. norm/pat, correct me if i'm wrong. look for a feature story on the c blower by next week.

to understand the story, first you have to know the blower development moratorium that stated any blowers 'not readily available' before april 1, 1997 were illegal.

at that time, there were two competiting blowers, the whipple and psi.

the way it was explained to me when i worked for meyer in 2000 was that there was 3 c blower units in 1996. randy anderson had one, manzo had one, and i forget the third party that had one. they were tested, but no good runs were made, so it was scrapped and no more were made then.

on the whipple side of the ball, the 'gooseneck' whipple with the integrated injector was not debuted until early 97 on pat austin's fc and his brother mike's tad. those were the only 2 units that ran before 4/1/97. jay payne did not run his until later that month. so the score was 3 c psi's and 2 whipples before the cut off.

fast forward to end of 99. norm looked back into the c blower project because he thought it would show promise on the dragsters.

the argument that the c blower is legal lies in the fact there were 3 units available in 96 and only 2 whipples out in 97 before the cut off. in fact, in 2001, jack obannon appealed the issue to nhra, and won the appeal, in which nhra stated that yes, they had seen the schematic for the c blower in 96. (this is based off of what obannon told me in noble 2001.)

alot of people try not to buy into the fact that they wouldn't have scrapped the c blower. you only have to look as far as the roots to see how sometimes different designs dont work with particular applications. for example, you wouldn't want to run a pro mod 1471 on a fc, bc the pro mod blower is designed to operate at 28 over (now 24.5). i can imagine a c blower at 125 over on a 526 motor made enough torque at the hit for 2 cars, much less one, and i'm sure it was a handful to tune. so i can see where there is validity to that argument.

now rewind to drazy vs. wendland. there was more to that deal than has been mentioned. wendland was tuning for greg roberts in 99/2000. roberts got a blower from norm, and the blower seized up on the first crank. there are conflicting reports as to what actually happened, norm felt they didn't put his recommended amount of fuel through the blower, and roberts/wendland felt it was a product defect. so there's some antimocity there. there's actually more to the story than that, but there's no reason to get into people's money issues on here. as far as a character check on roberts, i dont know if he still is, but i know he went to the pen for a couple of years. then when 2000 came around, meyer, howard and buff had the blower and roberts didn't. that lead to the imfamous recorded phone call.

thats the scoop i have on the c blower. to say that the racers that used it were outright cheating is not correct. every racer that used it felt that it was legal due to the above story. running nitro or nitrous or something like that, thats just cheating. these racers felt they had a legal product. they didn't cheat, its just that nhra did not interpret the rules the same. nhra stopped the blower, and the rest is history.