75 ft says Minnesota!

Discussion in 'Pit Buzz' started by Will Hanna, Aug 10, 2006.

1. A/Fuel&HisMoney

A/Fuel&HisMoney Jr. Dragster

Would a crew cab dually and a 53 foot gooseneck get you in trouble?

2. therealspeedster

therealspeedster Jr. Dragster

randy is right the ifta sticker is a fuel tax sticker. they give you one each year a differant color with the year in the middle!
    as for the dually and 53ft trailer:eek: man i hope ya got a good trans in that thing:D
    in oregon if you are over 75ft total length you need to stop at a P.O.E. and purchase a over weight over length permit to travel the highways.

3. lowcountry71

lowcountry71 New Member

i stand corrected - you are right. the IATA is the inspection sticker. been retired from trucking just long enough to forget - or is it one forgets the good things and remembers the bad? but where i went with the IATA sticker is correct. another Uncle Sam thing you gotta do or have. the IFTA folks want their tax mile monies for units running in states where the tractors are not licensed but run miles. if i recall correctly not all states particpate in the IFTA but the IATA is federally required. i have seen several thousands of $$$ recovered by tax collectors who challenged the record keeping of trucking companies. they even got so pickey as to audit the veeder roots of the companies to make sure that terminal supplied fuels didn't have missing amounts from delivery to usage - a real easy way to not to pay the state taxes.

4. Randy G.

Randy G. Top Alcohol

I personally always liked the price of the red colored diesel fuel (just kidding). Anyone here care to guess what red diesel is and what happens when the law sees it in your fuel tank?

We have to have BIT inspections done every quarter on the truck. It's a pain but once in a while you find something that might have saved your life.

Duallies are getting popped in Texas with horse trailers behind them.

5. nitromilt

nitromilt New Member

I think the inspection sticker your refering to is a CVSA sticker.

6. bryanbrown

bryanbrown Member

A/fuel,
    Here in Texas, if your GVWR is over 26000, you have to have a cdl. I took my cdl test in a one-ton and g-neck We used to always get our trucks registered at their actual weight, which used to make it okay, but last year, my dad was pulled over in a dually with a 40', empty g-neck flatbed. The registered total was 25,990. but the manufacturer's rating on the truck was higher. They didn't give him a ticket, but made him drop the trailer at a truckstop until a driver with a cdl came and got it. He had to go back in the middle of the night and get it. Luckily it was only 30miles from home. I keep hearing people say that they're getting guys with horse trailers, but I have alot of friends that rodeo, and I've yet to start hearing it from them. Maybe they're lucky. I always loved that red diesel back in college. When it was coming out of a big farm tank, there was no way dad was gonna be able to know how much I was actually using. He'd still say my gas bill was too high. If he only knew how much I was saving him. What is the penalty? A friend's dad once told me it was like $100/gal or more, depending on how much you had in your tank when you were caught.

bryan brown

7. Randy G.

Randy G. Top Alcohol

A couple years ago when I started to panic about all this there were reports of duallies getting pulled over if the rodeo was in town. If you won so much as a trophy, you needed DOT numbers on the truck.

Now, it's been about a year since I've had the pleasure of driving the 10 through Texas, but I seem to remember seeing (and looking for) duallies that have DOT numbers on them. You don't see that very much here in California, but I will tell you Daniel Oliver's super comp rig (2000 Chevy Dually and a 39' two axle Chaparrall trailer) was pulled over in Santa Fe Springs (20 minutes from L.A.) and given a ticket for no CDL.

RG

8. LaDon

LaDon New Member

What is happening in some of the states is that they are saying that if you can win money with the race car then it is commercial. Commercial means that you have money change hands. Most of this has started from ppl hauling cars with trailers behind pickups to sell at auctions or shows or if someone bought it and is having it hauled to their place and are paying the driver to bring it to them. It dosent matter if it is being hauled behind a 1/2 ton pickup with a single flatbed trailer if someone is paying to have it hauled then it becomes commercial and you have to comply with all the commercial laws going along with it like fire extinguishers, logbooks, ifta stickers if it is a diesel and a cdl. The motorhome does not make it excempt from it if you are hauling a car for that purpose or whether it is for racing. Most ppl are not racing for just a trophy anymore even tho some are. That is the difference tho between commercial and not is the fact that you can either win money or are getting some kind of money from the setup. Even tho we all know there are very few that actually make money with this stuff but we all do at least get some money even if it is from the local track winnings on a friday nite. Oh and just cause the expenses outweigh the winnings dont get you off of the cdl deal either.

9. HEMIdude

HEMIdude New Member

I'm starting to think it may be best just to lease a tractor and hire a damn driver. I just wanna RACE Damn it!....Not be considered a professional truck driver! I don't wear pointy boots and listen to that God awful kuntree muzik!

10. trucker

trucker New Member

You have been watching too much tv. We all don't all wear boots!
    But the music is on the money!!!!

11. nitromilt

nitromilt New Member

Some of us still wear the boots,but dont listen to the music.

12. nitrohawk

nitrohawk New Member

Ruslers

:cool: Have a toter and 48 foot extra height trailer. Coming home late one night after testing in Baytown and got stopped by a state, county, and city policeman about 40 miles south of Houston. The state patrol guy came up to the truck cab with the city and county guys right behind the trailer and beside it. He wanted to know what we had in the trailer. Said that there had been a lot of ruslin going on by people with race car trailers. I told him we had a lot of horses in our trailer of which he didn't seem to think was real funny. However after shining his flashlite in the trail remarked that we had a racecar in there.
    Actually he was a pretty good sport and after looking in the trailer never even asked for a drivers license and bid us adue.

13. Will Hanna

Will Hanna We put the 'inside' in Top Alcohol
    Staff Member

one loophole

looks as if we may all need a black 78 firebird and a driver with a cowboy hat....:D ;)

east bound and down.....

14. trucker

trucker New Member

It all depends on the person with the gun and ticket book.
    In my travel I have seen it go both ways.

15. HEMIdude

HEMIdude New Member

I'm seriously thinking about skipping the investment of a toter and finding an owner/operator to haul our trailer. We'd then just drive our motorhome seperately or stay at a hotel. This way we're not liable for all these increasingly outrageous laws. Am I nuts? It would be great to find an owner/opertaor who's into racing. By the way.. according to the president of the CDL school my buddy just went to, Ohio and or the feds are considering requiring Class A RV drivers to have Bus licenses.

16. blwnaway

blwnaway Member

Get your self a copy of the FHWA guidelines from your State Highway Administration Office and also get a copy of the Haz Mat rules and Guidelines from them as well. Happy Reading.

17. blwnaway

blwnaway Member

CDL is a short abbreviation for Commercial Drivers License meaning you need ton to drive a commercial vehicle above the gross weight of 26000 lbs.

18. blwnaway

blwnaway Member

After reading a few of your posts I gather that you are from California where DOT laws are stricter. In most other states as long as you do not (admit) earn cash and just do it for the recognition you are not classified as a commercial vehicle. If you win one red cent you are no longer recreational. Sorry for the multiple posts but I didnt know how to quote three in the same post.

Last edited: Aug 18, 2006
  19. Hokes Racing

Hokes Racing Moderator

Well ya it means that if you can get away with running this you can save money on fuel, but sure hope you dont caught with it in you tank.

I know that there was a couple of fuel additives that were red in color and they would make your fuel have a red tint so they had to take the red dye out of them.

20. lowcountry71

lowcountry71 New Member

i sure hope the intent of this thread is not to scare everyone to hire someone else to move their racecar to and from the track. i would like to think you will become a better consumer and understand what the limits/requirements are for the transportation. hiring a truck driver will not solve your problems if he/she does not follow the rules - you will still be deadlined in the scales. from the different threads it is apparent that there is a different standard all around the country. become a knowledgeable consumer and learn your home state and the states you plan to travel laws and enforcement guidelines. weigh the risk vs reward factor and be able to make a knowledgeable decision that will best effect your racing operation. war stories are great to hear and also learn from - but - if your state doesn't enforce another states guidelines WMW (what me worrry). the good racer is ahead of the rules and enforcement - thus not getting caught and missing races. it is only a matter of time before states will institute a higher level of licensing for motorhomes. just wait until there a some serious accidents with motorhomes and the reactivity of the government will rear it's head. the best thing that could happen to racers who use motorhomes/trailers would be for someone like SEMA to be able to proactivily aline the laws to clarify the best win/win situation for racers.