6.00 sec minimum dial-in T/D class, NHRA style

Discussion in 'PSI Superchargers Tech Questions' started by Charles Stewart, Feb 28, 2010.

1. WBOnimus

WBOnimus New Member

Excellent hot rod

When did ya step up from the old ride, looks great and hope ya having a good time with it. Hows it run, different that the last ride thats for sure. Brent

2. secondwindracing

secondwindracing top alcohol

I'm with Don and AFC357....Dave

3. td314b

td314b New Member

I love it!

I for one love the 6.00 second limitation! It stops me from leaning on my car! Now I can go out and enjoy the weekend and not thrash all day and spend tons of money on breaking parts trying to eeek out every last ounce of horsepower. Add to it that running a dragster at 6.0 bracket racing is very very very challenging!!! Nothing quite like feathering the throttle and grabbing a bit of brake at 1200 feet going 220+ mph to try and just beat your opponent across the finish line. You want to talk about excitement!

I have had more fun racing T/D then I have ever had running heads up! I have won heads up races and while it was exciting, nothing even comes close to being in the finals at the Norwalk NHRA National in T/D! We didn't win, we were the Runner-Up but you still can't get that smile off my face. It was by far my greatest racing accomplishment to date!

I love heads up but bracket racing has its place! Especially when you are going in the 6.0's and giving your competitor almost a 1 second head start. My only wish is that everyone had to shift their car. The only electronic device I have is a delay box. I shift based upon a shift light and the buttons on my steering wheel, whereas a lot of T/D guys have timers or rpm switches that actually shift their cars for them!

All in all, bracket racing a blown dragster is a ton of fun. Scares the hell out of your competitor when you scream by them going 30-50mph faster than them at the stripe!

I wish I had the funds and the people to do TAD, but I must say that running T/D is 1,000 times more fun then I thought it would be and it is a lot easier on the wallet with the 6.0 limitation. If they took the 6.0 second limitation away then my inner speed freak would want to go back to the 5.70's that the car is capable of running and now I am back to busting my butt all weekend and costing me a lot more in parts etc. Just my 2 cents!

Troy Stone
    TAD 314B
    T/D 314B

Last edited: Jan 19, 2011
  4. Don Onimus

Don Onimus New Member

600 sec. sucks

I was going to leave this alone, because I was busting balls before, but I have to stir things up some more. I need to say Congts. to your runner up. It takes a lot of hard work no matter what you run to go rounds. Now here we go. Yes I run a T/D. Yes I want to go fast. and I can! I don't know how old Brandon is. I never met him. I know he runs a TAD . But I am not sure why he is so worried about T/D. Maybe it is because NHRA doesn't want TAD cars and T/D is one of the fastest growing classes ? It has nothing to do with safety.And as far as going fast on some track. Maybe he forgot we run the same events they do, so I guess the TAD cars are to unsafe to run there also. I run 230's they run 260's /270's. How can that be unsafe. The reason they went to the 6.00 sec. deal was because they didn't want TAD cars running in the class. Let me explain something. It doesn't matter how fast you go.It is not heads up. So to explain it to some people, if I run 5.80 and you run 6.00. How does that matter. Don

5. td314b

td314b New Member

Winter Boredom

I hate the winter...but it is fun to post stuff and enjoy the conversation. I do not believe Brandon is worried about T/D cars at all. Brandon likes to have fun and stir things up with people. He likes to give his opinion and see what people say. I do not believe that the 6 second limit has anything to do with speed. I do not believe it has anything to do with safety. I believe it has to do with T/D being a different speed / class than TAD. I do not believe NHRA would be happy at all if I or others went out and ran 5.70's in a T/D car with the TAD cars only being a bit faster (.5 or so...hell at some races a 5.7 has a chance of making the field in TAD).....Since they knew beforehand that there are a lot of faster blower cars out there that would not pass tech for TAD but would pass tech for T/D they made the rule. I think we can all agree that there are a lot of fast roots cars out there that can dip into the 5's. I believe the rule saves them having to deal with a bunch of T/D cars running close to the TAD field.

I like 6 seconds. I like that I don't have to push it. I think I understand why the rule is there and I am ok with it. Now granted if I want to go faster than 6.00 seconds or I want to do some heads up racing there are not a lot of options for me with my car and its setup. To go to TAD and get my heads up fix at divisional or national events is just way too expensive to change all of my stuff over. So I have to learn to love what I can race and I have learned to love 6.0 second bracket racing. It is exciting.

Don't get me wrong. I love to face off against other racers where the yellows flash and we race to the finish, there just aren't many places to go race like that. At least not with how we want to race. (I don't want to race just one day...I like a weekend race so all the only Friday night or only Saturday night races don't work for us)

Again my 2 Cents. Ok Don keep it going! This is getting me more excited about getting in my car and hearing it make noise!

Troy Stone
    TAD 314B
    T/D 314B

6. underby6

underby6 Active Member

I have an opinion about "TD" because I grew up racing heads-up/TD from the time I was 16 yrs. old until 26, I'm 28 now. It is about safety in the sense that there is no rule differentiation between cars that run 6.50 and 5.50; you cannot say that different safety requirements aren't necessary. A friend of mine with a very nice T/D setup was told by his very well known chassis builder to keep the car under 240 with his current T/D wing setup; this was a safety concern to the chassis builder. At those speeds and the beating you have to put on parts (compared to a 6.50 setup) more safety is required...bottom line. Some guys have all the required stuff as is with their T/D setup. Others don't because they don't want to spend the $$$. You can't tell cars 1,2, and 3 that they can run all out etc. but cars 4,5, and 6 have to be 6.0 or slower (we don't all own big fancy trailer companies:cool:). NHRA believe it or not tries to keep it affordable while keeping it safe, on top of all that it's their playground so you know the deal. I'm all for all out, heads-up, no e.t. limit etc; my thoughts are only in regards to why things are how they are hence the topic of this discussion "6.00 sec minimum dial-in T/D class, NHRA style". NHRA has no interest in policing which cars are allowed to go quick and which ones don't have the proper equipment, this should come as no surprise to anyone. Troy, I was told by Sal Ramos that Collins told him you're going to have to get a ballistic blanket for all those poppets, unless you get SFI Titanium Poppets...then you'd just need a tethering device for them.

Brandon Booher
    NHRA TAD #34

7. td314b

td314b New Member

Ahh this is making winter a little nicer. Brandon, yea I know why you put your input into it but it would have taken to long to write it all out! My explanation was easier. LOL I was stating it wasn't a safety issue as far as the tracks being able to handle the speed and e.t of a fast T/D car. I agree that they cannot police all the cars and say which can and can't go under 6 seconds. I agree there are cars out there that do not have a chassis cert to go under 6.0 and how do you police that? It is easier to just set the 6.0 time and not have to worry. Granted there are cars out there that are cert to go under 6 seconds but they are the minority. They are mostly guys who built pro outlaw cars and are now running T/D or they are guys like me who would like to run TAD so I bought a TAD legal car in the hopes that one day I could step up.

I personally enjoy all the cars out there. I have a ton of safety stuff on my car that is not required for T/D. I put it on because I feel safer in the car. I imagine I will have the parachute tether on the car next year.

HAHA my poor poppits! Why does everyone have to bring hate on my poppits! It gives me something to do since I don't have to tear the motor apart after every run in T/D. And it makes me feel cool and smart to play with all those little springs and shims and the tester! lol I wonder if Taylor sells a nice blanket for them. My god I will need like 15 blankets to cover all of them! I will call Thacker and get him thinking about how to tether all of them together like a necklace!

Oh and Brandon, 28? My god you are an old man! LOL

8. Don Onimus

Don Onimus New Member

Thanks to everyone this is fun, and rally cool to see how everyone's ideas are different. All I can say is keep building those blower cars for T/D. We need to rule!!!!!!!! Anyone who want's to see my car let me know, there are about 6 or 7 picks on this site. Thanks Don Onimus

9. secondwindracing

secondwindracing top alcohol

10. pete9857

pete9857 Member

Ok, first, when you go through tech, doesn't NHRA know if a car is legal to go fast? If you want to go that fast, make 'em have a TAD wing set-up. It all boils down to guys taking a bracket nitrous car and stuffing a blower engine in it and going fast( right before the frame breaks). I know why Troy likes the 6.0, so he doesn't have to tangle with us!!!
    We can't go that slow!!! If you don't have a T/D and race the class, you're opinion is null and void!!!
    Stirring it up, my favorite passtime, besides going 5.80 and passing a 6.50 car!!!

Glenn

11. Gizmo

Gizmo Member

The rules are the rules and it's more than a wing that classifies a car as a TAD or TD. Your thoughts are just as null and void as everyone elses since you don't own the NHRA nor do you have any power as a rulemaker. This site is to voice thoughts and concerns and if you want something changed so badly as to discredits others thoughts; take your banter to NHRA in writing or e-mail. You will quickly learn that they have no interest in you going quicker than what they deem safe, 6.00 seconds in the 1/4 mile. If you would like to go quicker, race the Snowbirds or other outlaw races around the east coast and southern states; or race TAD. Until then keep your thoughts on who has a right to post to yourself.

Steve L.

Last edited: Jan 22, 2011
  12. BLOWN INCOME

GLENN,
    JUST BECAUSE YOU HAVE A 5.99 AND QUICKER TAG DOESN'T MEAN IT'S SAFE FOR 6.50!!
    I HAVE SEEM CAR THAT GOT A 6.0 TAG THAT THE INSPECTOR DIDN'T KNOW WHAT HE WAS DOING...CASE BEING: A LOCAL RACER WENT TO TWO DIV. CHASSIS CHECKS.. FAILED THEM BOTH ..WENT TO A THIRD,WHO NORMALLY CHECKS S/S CARS ,GAVE HIM THE NHRA TAG FOR 6.0..
    I WOULD LIKE TO SEE A FAST 6.0 TYPE HEADS UP INDEX.. ALTHOUGH I DO RUN THE RUN-WHATA-BRUNG ,BUT IT DOES COST MORE TO GO 3.70s AND 3.80s.....
    MADE A TRANNY CHANGE TO PICK-UP A 10th TO RUN WITH YOU, AND PUT THE CAR ON A 100LB DIET..

SANTO

Last edited: Jan 22, 2011
  13. td314b

td314b New Member

Haha glenn!!!

I love it! I do have to say that you are correct! I hate racing you guys! I think the one time we did race each other in T/D Glenn whipped my butt on the tree and it was all over! lol Such good times! Oh and I know you can go slower than 6.0. I have seen you do it many many many times hahahaha! I understand how you want to race and I applaud you for doing what you guys do. Meanwhile I will continue to race T/D and have fun. I will continue to keep working on you to come over and play in NHRA T/D. Glenn is so killer on the lights that you guys would be a great addition!

Maybe I will try to show up at a heads up race with ya and we can see how we stack up against each other with no limit on how fast we can go! Maybe I can even up my win loss ratio against you guys! lol

Last edited: Jan 24, 2011
  14. blown375

blown375 New Member

PLAY NICE LADIES !!!

I am going to try and run a local 1/8 IHRA divisional T/D race this year just for the fun of it ! (No ET cutoff in the 1/8)
    It should be fun watching guys going 140-150mph try to turn treir heads around backwards like an Owl as im running them down at 190+mph :confused:

Can you still put your dial in on the back tire with shoe polish ? those fancy dial-in boards just add weight !

Last edited: Jan 24, 2011
  15. td314b

td314b New Member

Dial in Boards?

hahah I refuse to put a dial in board on my car. Window chalk on my windscreen is as high tech as I get on that! yea 1/8th mile in T/D would be awesome! talk about closing on someone fast! lol Yikes! I think there is a limit in NHRA for T/D when running 1/8th. I think it is 3.66 lol I would love to be able to break out with that dialed on my car! Not quite sure how they came up with 3.66 to the 1/8th. If I ran 3.66 to the 1/8th I would be running about 5.69 in the quarter and last time I looked that was nowhere near 6.0

I know if someone had a screw charger on their car and had it tuned like the TAD boys they could break out, but not me with my roots! That would be cool to witness, but I wouldn't want to be in the other lane!

16. jody stroud

jody stroud ZOMBIE Top Dragster

I plan on running IHRA div 9, 1/8th mile race at Darlington this year wide ass open.

17. TAD240

TAD240 New Member

1/8 Mile?????????????

What's all this 1/8 mile stuff??? What ever happened to 1/4 mile??? What's next 330' racing??? Maybe even better, let's just tow our race cars down the track!!!

18. jody stroud

jody stroud ZOMBIE Top Dragster

I know, I know.... it's just the way they do it in the IHRA.

19. pete9857

pete9857 Member

was wondering when you would get out of the crane and respond! Troy, just doing my part stirring up the MOCK turtle soup! Ha, why don't we build a track at Vintage and have our own races!!!

Glenn, my opinion counts!!!

20. td314b

td314b New Member

1/8th, 1/4, 330', Towing

Well it is winter so all this talk is fun. I will race whatever. Lets line em up and race. Heck lets race golf carts! I got a crappy left knee but we could foot race! Although I don't know that I would make it much past 60' and I hate to think what my time would be!

I think the general point here is that all racing can be fun! Doesn't matter if it is to the 60', 330' 1/8th, 1000', 1/4 or even bench racing! It is winter and I do not know about you all, but the most racing I get to do right now is in my mind! I am going to the shop tonight just to organize the trailer and pull the heads apart and re-check them! How bored do you have to be to go through the heads! It is the one thing I hate doing on my car and I am going to go through them tonight just to do something!

This is how bad winter is for me. I was at the Norwalk awards banquet this weekend and Linda Butcher had an app on her phone that timed how fast you could spin a roll of toilet paper off the role. Marco Abruzzi held the record on her phone. Needless to say I had to play with it till I beat his time. Might be the only time I beat Marco! lol So I was toilet paper racing this weekend and I loved every minute of it!

On a side note I did lose to my son and his friend on the water slide at Kalahari! They would not give me a re-match! I need to work on my form on that slide! lol I wonder if I can strap a blower on my back to get some added horsepower!

Glenn, I have about 330' of new asphalt we could race on at the shop, but the shutdown area might be a problem. lol We may have to dodge a trailer or 2!

Last edited: Jan 25, 2011