What's going on with fire suits?

Discussion in 'Pit Buzz' started by alt 6153, Sep 22, 2009.

1. alt 6153

alt 6153 Member

Everything that I've been looking at start at $1400 and go to $2000. James from Design 500 called last week, and they start at $1650 but that includes some design time. Looks like DJ's start at $1200 as long as you like Black and no designs. From what I heard, the DJ is going to be very heavy and bulky. James @ Design 500 told me they use 2 layer of Carbon X to keep the weight-bulk down. I think that I'm headn his way.
    Just my 2 cents.

2. Dave Germain

Dave Germain New Member

I don't know much about the design 500 suits but I know that I sent my Simpson -20 suit in for alterations, and recertification this spring. The treated me wonderfully. Their customer service was great- I could not have asked for anything more. Dave Germain

3. Troy Green

Troy Green New Member

As Sean stated, I wear a Design 500 and I love the fit of the suit. Their customer service is unbelievable. I have orderd custom Simpson suits before and they always fit well, but I have never had anyone from Simpson call me back to go over or confirm measurements like James and Katie from Design 500. I spent nearly an hour on the phone with Katie on a Friday night going over measurements, and then my suit was delivered less than a week later with a lot of embroidery.
    Troy Green

4. East Coast Guy

East Coast Guy New Member

After buying Impact's -20 boots in 2008 and having them replaced by them 3 times since and i'm still not sure that they're legal i called Dennis Taylor and ordered boots from him. I also got a set of the junk Hans anchors from Impact last year to throw salt on the wounds, i'll never spend another dime on anything made by Bill Simpson. Taylor Motorsports has a new customer.....

Tim Steed
    East Coast Pro Comp Association
    1923 T-Bucket
    Blown BBC

5. NITROBANDIT1

NITROBANDIT1 LOST IN SPACE

finally, a good word on recerts,simpson

well, after all the doom and gloom about firesuits, something good happened. my firesuit (a 2piece -20) was sent to simpson. steve johnson explained the differences in late 1999 they changed the way the weaves overlay and the earilier suits compressed instead of getting the proper rebound or crush of the materials used. i guess this could be compaired to a thick blanket or such that gets depressions or thinned in areas after many uses. anyway my suit was made in oct 99 and the only way to find out was for them to cut it open and find out. luckily mine was the later model and was recerted 09 with no problem, just a 50 dollar charge and shipping. ive always bought simpson stuff and never had any problems, but was suffered another blackout after being faced with another 2k suit to buy. thanks to steve johnson for being a knowledgeable contact and explaining the process and fast, courteous service, which is a rarity with companies nowadays. here is the company info on where recerts are done. and yes, im still a nobody The recerts take place at , Team Simpson
    1407 west 240th st
    Harbor City ,Ca 90710
    Ask for Steve Johnson @ ext 102
    Nice guy , aims to please , and will do all he can for you.

6. Eric David Bru

I know of some good news regarding firesuits...

...right DT..!

:cool:

EDB

7. Don Hudson

Don Hudson Supa fly

Good things will come of this nonsense

Patience Grasshopper, the fabric will speak to you..;)

8. TADdriver

TADdriver New Member

A few more facts and opinions......

I have a Pheonix suit and 2 pairs pants. The second pants came a year after the first when I finally called Eric Cody about the weird fit. I was TOTALLY taken care of and allowed to upgrade to -20 from -15 for a fraction more money. VERY Good Product. Bruce Bowler(owner PCA) is a great guy and very smart.I am sure he has an exit strategy that won't leave us hanging. I just hope that I don't have to use a similar final business plan with MY business.....

That being said, Dennis Taylor has posted recently about this. I have boots
    from DT(thank God I didn't do Impact). They are excellent, as well as my few dealings with him. I have never heard ANYTHING neg about Dennis. I think things are in the making(with Dennis) on the PCA re-cert (and manufacture??) deal so I'm not gonna panic. If I were shopping for new, I'd wait to hear from Dennis.

Just to be balanced, I must say that Simpson replaced a pair of driving shoes-no problem- when the side blew out(5 races) due to fat feet and chinese cow leather. However, they do not recert restraints--even when only 2 years old,not used, and new in the box. They offer only a coupon for discount on another pair of (throwaway!) belts.

THAT being said, we have used Stroud restraints,diapers,and misc. They have recerted the belts 3 or 4 times-- NO Problem, Fast, and reasonable $. I would expect apparel from them to be the same experience.
    Bob Stroud is another great guy--Fits right in to my drag race list of GOOD PEOPLE.
    Just another couple of cents worth

Scott
    Peterson Bros racing
    TAD 520 (Red Baron nostalgia vette FC coming soon!)

9. jeff_7306

jeff_7306 Member

I knew Dennis could pull this off, and Dennis you told me you didn't think you could do it. Glad you did.

09-23-09 "DT was going through Phoenix, He told me Friday "I guess Simpson"
    I told him to start doing firesuits .

If he builds it we will follow.

JC"

http://www.insidetopalcohol.com/showthread.php?t=27129

Jeff Carroll
    Titan Speed

10. Don Hudson

Don Hudson Supa fly

The fabric has spoken..

Kudos to DT on his latest acquisition!!!

Its very refreshing to have a "bright spot" appear in our sport, when there have has been so much negativity lately.

As a Phoenix suit owner, I actually have two of these fire suits, the first one I bought direct from Phoenix, and the second through Taylor Motorsports. I highly recommend DT & his staff for all your safety products.

Congrats.

DHM:)

11. smokinboyz

smokinboyz Member

just spoke to justin at taylors...........the que starts here guys.:)

12. Lethal Threat Racing

:mad::mad:I live in OKC and heard that Stroud Safety Sold out to a China importer of Safety Equipment in California and that Bob is just an employee now.

Sounds like the new owner is following some of the other safety companies and cheeping out on our safety.

Last edited: Oct 16, 2009
  13. BBR

BBR New Member

Impact fire suits

Any thing new on SFI decert of 07 & 08 15 & 20 impact suits :confused: