what type clutch to use

Discussion in 'PSI Superchargers Tech Questions' started by mark6052, Jan 16, 2007.

1. mark6052

mark6052 Member

pedal or glide? I will be doing match racing at less than ideal conditions. will run 690-650s. 510hemi,smallcam, 8500rpm shift, hhelix,1.89 1stgear,4.30-w/34.5. have some knowledge of both. leaning towards the crowerglide. thanks for the advice.:)

2. Illinois Thunder

Illinois Thunder New Member

I ran basically the same combination and times for years on the Mid America Funny Car Circuit and had excellent luck with a simple two disc,stamped steel Hays pedal clutch.Two discs seemed to be more consistent and forgiving on marginal tracks,not to mention a whole lot less weight on the rear of the crank.Other than a routine cleaning/re-setting service between match dates,we never touched the clutch at the track other than cooling it,and as long as the hat height was set during service,it seemed to act the same no matter what;for two or three laps,or a nights worth of racing.Hays still makes(and services) these units and there's probabley some guys on here who have some of these units still sitting around.If not,get ahold of Roy Storey at Mr Gasket Co.

3. Shakedown

Shakedown Jr. Dragster

What to use

I would try a Lenco Drive or Bruno Drive TAF is having some good luck with it!!! Just Food For Thought.......

4. Shakedown

Shakedown Jr. Dragster

Also have an older style Crowerglide, 11"-3 disk Hemi with ring gear.

5. nitrohawk

nitrohawk New Member

Both will work fine for what you want. However the pedal clutch allows for more flexability such as varing the rpm at launch which is a great help on marginal tracks and it requires less maintenance which translates to more fun at the races.

6. Shakedown

Shakedown Jr. Dragster

!!!!!!!!

Lenco Drive or Bruno should be easier to run than a clutch. Just my thoughts.:p

7. was R4K

was R4K Member

lenco drive has a tuffer job to adjust for various track conditions- (stall speed) as opposed to a pedal clutch,but I believe a glide is an excellent choice for marginal tracks- used to run a glide in the 70's in a bb/fc and went consistant 6.7-6.8s at crappy tracks match racing with a 8-71 on a 526 arias.