the nitro % for A/Fuel will be..........

Discussion in 'Pit Buzz' started by The Zone, Nov 19, 2004.

1. 310TAD

310TAD Top Alcohol

Traveler,
    I am selling all my BA/D stuff, and shopping for a TA/FC. If anybody has a really good roller, give me a call. I would consider a turnkey deal, but already have plans for a FC version of my dragster engines. Just looking for a good deal.
    Are you all rested up from a hard year? I am hoping to see you next Saturday at PRI.

Happy Holidays to you,
    Marty

2. Will Hanna

Will Hanna We put the 'inside' in Top Alcohol
    Staff Member

i'm not the most familiar source on the msd digital system, and i know it certainly carries it's performance advantages, but what advantages would it present the tafc class? unless i'm wrong, isn't it a $10,000 system? maybe someone who knows more about it can shed some light as to why it would be an advantage to have it in tafc over the current systems.

unless it has something thats going to make it cheaper to run in some way, i don't think its a good move to legalize a 10k part for tafc that doesn't need it. dragster is a whole different story, you have blown vs a/fuel to equalize.

3. T.Howell

T.Howell Member

Will, I bought one of those for a LencoDrive car a couple of years ago. I believe it was about $1100. It does not have it's own laptop, you use MSD's software in your computer to set your timing graphs, then download it to the 8973 in the car via a cable.
    You can download the actual software from MSD's site to get a feel how it works.

4. 310TAD

310TAD Top Alcohol

Will & Tom & friends,
    The MSD box we ask for cost about $730.00. It could be a small performance enhancement, on the blown cars, for very smart crew chiefs, but mainly doew what your timers and 6 shooters do in a cheaper, easier, and more reliable (digitally) way. The main reason we ask for it for blown dragsters and funny cars was it has a boost channel in it that you can set in your maximum boost. When the unit senses anything over maximum, usually from broken valvetrain, it can reduce timing by a preset amount or just shut off the ignition. Currently when we overboost the engines, all sorts of fun things happen (bloweres banged, rods bent & broke, miscelaneous breakage and oildowns). This would save all blown racers hundreds of thousands of dollars a year, and cutback the number of oildowns.

This unit would pay for itself many times over.

Let NHRA know we need it.

Take care,
    Marty

5. T.Howell

T.Howell Member

Advantages:
    No more air over electric switches.

An almost infinate amout of set points allowing ramping in and out of timing changes.

Timing changes can activated by any combination of engine rpm, time or boost. (at least the earlier versions did)

No chips