TAD/TAFC changes for next year helmet shrouds, pads, belly pans, etc.

Discussion in 'Pit Buzz' started by Will Hanna, Nov 29, 2007.

1. Shane Therres

Shane Therres New Member

I have some understanding as to the shield on a dragster, but a funny car ? Really, come on. But what do you do but play by the rules or dont play right. Nathan the shield looks good! I guess I have some sheet metal work to lol. Congrats to Troy, Nathan, Ken and the whole crew for stepping up their program and best of luck to you !!

2. Dave Germain

Dave Germain New Member

I am at the PRI show. I saw Jeff Burnett's carbon fiber piece and it looks very nice but isn't approved quite yet- should be in a week or so. Should be selling for around 600-700$ according to Jeff. I looked at the DIVERSATECH Titanium piece. It is really really nice but requires a flange being welded to the shoulder hoop to seal the wrap-around T-piece to after it as been modified but it will set you back in the neighborhood of 1900$. I saw pictures of Mckinney's piece, nice but doesn't wrap around the outside of the cage, it actually sets between the bars but doesn't require the flange added to the wrap-around T-piece. It will cost approx 1550$ from Mckinney in kit form. They also have a steel and a carbon fiber piece which are both approved. I also spent some time talking with NHRA tech guru Danny Gracia. He agreed with Will's rules prognostications but added they will enforce crotch strap mounting rules this year. Check your rule books- they are supposed to be mounted behind the driver's crotch not infront or under like most of us have ours. By the way- I highly recommend attending the PRI show. It is absolutely amazing. Dave Germain

3. whosyrdady

whosyrdady Super Comp

I'm Just curious as to, If the shroud is mounted on top of or the outside of the roll cage how will the hoop on the body clear when you sit the body down. Im just trying to picture this in my head. I'm also confused about the seat foam. The rule book says foamed OR formed to the drivers body. What is the difference. Am I going to be able to go buy some good dense foam rubber and line my seat with it and cover it with my single layer nomex liner? I sure wish I had gone to the Law school of NHRA so I could interpert there the rules. Kevin

PS , Jeff Garvin if you are reading this how long does it take to get the Head supports made?

4. jeff_7306

jeff_7306 Member

whosyrdady, From what Ron @ Victory was telling me is that the shield would not be on the outside of the cage (like in the T/F cars), but in-set or flush with the outside edge of the cage.

I know a picture is worth a thousand words, but I don't have one yet. I see doing it this way is more than 3 pieces, but what do I know.

5. Racejeff

Racejeff New Member

Obviously the sooner you get your order in the faster they are at your door.
    Even with all the orders from the PRI show, we can get your Lateral Supports to you by the first week in Jan. if you get your order in this week.
    The same is true for the seat inserts. The sooner you call the better.
    Jeff
    www.garvinmotorsports.com

6. eli

eli Banned

I see the 3 piece shield as more of a safety hazard than a safety device, If the car rolls and hits something with the cage there's more of a chance of the parts coming off the cage and hitting the driver on the noggin. ergo you fix one problem and make another. Especially if the shields are inset:eek:.

7. eli

eli Banned

Nathen now that is a bitchen looking sheild, when you finish it you should make a mold and make it out of carbon fiber and sell them.

8. Dennis Taylor

Dennis Taylor Authorized Merchant

I have had the carbon shields on my car for 3 seasons now. I bought a kit from Mc Kinney. They are in sections and did not cause any other problems. Jeff Burnett at Composite Specialties is also putting a kit together.

We are also a dealer for the Butler Built head pads, and have the materials and technology for the molded seat pads. You can buy the seats in a kit form from us, have us do it for you, or have us cover the seat pad after you do it yourself. Hope this information helps, please call me direct if you have any questions. Dennis Taylor 714 630-7850

9. Dave Germain

Dave Germain New Member

There are two ways of attaching the shields- One is outside the roll cage tubing and the other is inset. I will include the pictures Mckinney sent me of the inset version as soon as somebody tells me how to attach a picture to this. It shouldn't interfere with the wrap-around t-piece that seals the body tin to the shoulder hoop. The other type such as diversatech makes requires a flange be welded to the shoulder hoop and the wrap-around t-piece be remade to fit that flange. Dave Germain

10. F/C Girl

F/C Girl New Member

Sorry, this is off subject, Dave, nice web site :)

11. clint thompson

what about the belly pans?

Has anyone figured out what they want with the new belly pans? I understand the part about going to the top rail, and it must extend 1 inch past the bottom blower pulley, but it also states that it must extend rearward beyond the back of the bellhousing??? This doesn't seem right? It says it may not extend rearward past the pinion support flange. I am pretty sure this is a misprint but considering the source, who knows??? I am pretty upset that they didn't make the specs when they required the pans in the first place. Now I have a perfectly good pan that cost 700 to fabricate and i get to throw it away and start over! Also heard a rumor that Halon fire bottles not okay anymore, anyone else here that? I guess I can put the 6 halon bottles in the shop with the obsolete cold fire bottles I just replaced 3 years ago! nice work!
    :mad::confused::p

12. Dave Germain

Dave Germain New Member

Clint's input

Clint. The NHRA asked all of us for our input on the new rules. But we couldn't get in touch with you so we didn't know about the belly pan issues that you have. Sorry. Just kidding- they didn't ask us either- lol
    Dave Germain

13. bryanbrown

bryanbrown Member

In the rulebook, it talked about the shroud, but didn't explain how far forward it has to go. it has a picture in the dragster section, and explains to go forward to the second upright of the cage. This wasn't specified in the afc or fc section. I'm assuming it's gonna have to go all the way to the front. anybody know for sure?

14. clint thompson

NHRA doesn't even know "for sure" but seems unlikely as it specifies that it can be one or 3 pcs. if it went to the front hoop it would have to be one or five pcs.......... or would it??? seems like they should get all the details together with a design drawing before the require this stuff. What they do is let us all build what we think, choose what they like best and then change to rule again so you can start over. if you are lucky enough to have the "winning" design they you only have to do it once! Anyone want a real nice fully functional but not legal belly pan? ;)

15. Jeff Wilson

Jeff Wilson New Member

Spitzer got approval today on the cabon fiber/kevlar FC shields he presented to NHRA. Orders can be shipped out early Jan. For those wondering about the strength, the 357 slug fired at the shield stuck but did not penetrate.

16. Dave Germain

Dave Germain New Member

I was going to be a smart a#$ and say "good, so now if I drive my race car in Baghdad I will be ok" But decided it was in poor taste. My son just emailed me from Afghanistan and has had two humvees blown out from under him in two days. I am glad he had good safety stuff. I am even more glad the NHRA isn't in charge of his safety gear. Dave Germain

17. danny

danny compet elimin

2008 new rules

you find it hard to figger out what and how it needs to be done with the new rules :mad:,you should try it when your living in Belgium and nobody can help us out with this shield and foam seat:confused: should i send it to the us? we need pics from inside ( mounting ) and outside ( on a funnycar ) if annybody is finished please @ dannycars@skynet.be ;) danny

18. F/C Girl

F/C Girl New Member

Clint, I spoke to Joe Mondon at PRI, he said they did the same requirement for the TAD's last year and it was pretty much impossible to do, then it was revised and revised and revised again to be directly under the oil pan, front and rear motorplates. I don't know if this helps, but thought I would throw it out there.

I hope they clarify or revise wording for everyone soon because it sure has caused a lot of questions as to acceptable and unacceptable.

19. bryanbrown

bryanbrown Member

I'm in the shop, looking at how to move the crotch strap mount back, and I only have about 3/4" between the bottom of the seat and the driveshaft. I don't think I could move it back more than an inch or so. Also, I got in, and put a yard stick against my chest and crotch, and the yardstick didn't even hit the front crossbar where the strap is connected now. My dad's not as big as me, but I didn't have a firesuit or anything on. So, is it legal? I just can't see how moving it an inch back can do anything.

20. danny

danny compet elimin

on this helmet shroud problem instead of using steel or tit is it not possible to use the kevlar :confused: like on the trans blankets and blower bags on the alcohol funnycars?you can strap it around the chassis tubes and that way you save weight and if they want to add weight you can put it where you want it to be like in the driver seat :)?danny