Shelly Howard remembered...

Discussion in 'Pit Buzz' started by Will Hanna, Apr 3, 2005.

1. Dragster Chick

Dragster Chick Bracket Racer

My dad just told me this is a total shock. I have watched her many times racing in Division 4 myself. Man we have lost a wonderful woman and a pioneer in the sport and she had such a wonderful presence. I am sorry to hear that we have lost a woman, yet another driver within the past year. My prayers go to her family and this is such sad news, I really don't know what to say. I am sorry to hear about her accident, but she passed on doing what she loved the most. God Speed in Heaven Shelly. :(

2. blown67vw

blown67vw New Member

Our deepest and most sincere sympathy goes out to the Howard family in this difficult time. You will be in our thoughts and prayers.
    Jim and Danielle

3. Shawn Bowen

Shawn Bowen New Member

Me and my family are very saddend by the passing of Shelly and Brian. We would like to send our thoughts and prayers to the family and wish them the best.

[ April 04, 2005, 08:53 PM: Message edited by: Shawn Bowen ]

4. John B

John B New Member

I never had the oppurtunity to meet Shelly or Brian. I have however met her brother Chris Fletcher through work. Chris and my boss both race dirt track...sprint cars specifically.

I was at the track on Saturday and saw pass #2 of 3 that Shelly made. I was just about to leave as she got in the staging lanes for the second pass and decided that I was going to stay and watch her make the pass. I was sitting at home Saturday evening when my phone rang...it was a friend of mine that had been at the track all day and got to see all of Shelly's passes. He called to inform me of the accident.

My thoughts and prayers go out to the Howard family and Shelly Howard Racing. God Speed Shelly and Brian

John Bender

5. Mary Dorough

Mary Dorough New Member

Paul, Am so very shocked and saddened to know that Shelley and Brian are no longer with you. Seeing her again after so many years was just like picking up where we left off as teenagers. We had talked about meeting with y'all and I am sorry we didn't make that happen. Please accept my heartfelt sympathy.
    Mary

6. Bob Alberty Jr.

Mom Dad & Shelly all went to school together,and Shelly appointed her self my two sisters and mine's godmother, swimming in her pool as kids, to the hoodie she gave me in topeka in 98, there are so many memories that have come flooding back,Shelly, Brian, you are in my heart forever, Paul, Tracy, Jennifer, I am always here for you.
    I still have that grey hoodie,it has kept me warm the last few nights, I miss you terribly.

7. secondwindracing

secondwindracing top alcohol

Shelly, you are and always will be my hero.
    so sadly missed...god bless

Dave"chrome"Lowe
    secondwind racing

8. Frankie

Frankie Jr. Dragster

I started chatting with Shelly in Deepstage's chat room in late 2002. She and I ( the night owls that we were ) would stay and chat long after everybody left the room. After awhile the chats would be phone calls back and forth every so often. I couldnt believe I was talking like this with a national TAD star. I was offered a position to crew on John Pattons TAFc for the 03 season. I knew that I would finally get to meet Shelly. My chance came at Houston in the spring of 03. I couldnt wait for that race but at the same time I was a bit nervous meeting her for the first time. She put me at ease the minute I got to meet her. I instantly found a friend in her and looked foward to the remaining races that year that we would be racing at along with her. It was at Noble that year that year that I got to meet Tracy and Jennifer. I didnt get to meet Brian though. Right around that time I found out my wife was pregnant with our second child and I knew after Dallas that it might be a while before I saw Shelly and Paul again. We said our goodbyes and Shelly and I kept in touch over the off season.

Will mentioned something in his post about memorable experiences with the Howards. While having the pleasure of meeting them and counting Shelly as a friend rank highest to me, the two most memorable moments happened last year.

Last summer I got a call from Paul. I immeidately thought something had happened to Shelly only because I had never talekd to Paul on the phone before. He went on a few minutes telling me who he was and asking me if I remebered him ( of course I did ) All the while the suspense was killing me. He then got to the point, he had offered me a job working on their car for the remaining 5 races last year ( with the possibility of working on the car agian this year if things worked out ). I felt very honored that Paul and Shelly would offer me the opportunity to work on such a high caliber car as theirs. I initially took the offer but I was dealing with some personal situations at the time and called him back and told him I wouldnt be able to do it. If only I could turn back time, I woudlve been there when they won the Jegs All Star race and almost won Indy.

Indy last year was the second most memorable moment. I flew back there because it was the 50th Indy and I wanted to say I was there. I had a restricted area pass from a friend of mine who was racing stock. I asked Shelly that if she didnt mind and I stayed out of the way could I go up on the starting line for her first round race with Guy Kelly. She didnt even hesitate answering yes and making sure I had a crew shirt to go up on the line with. Well she won that round and went to the final. I was very proud of her and thankful.

I had last talked to her the day she returned to her house from picking up the new car from Joe Monden. Her cell cut out and I figured Id call her back in a few days, I guess I shouldve called her back sooner.

Ill miss the phone calls, the hugs and her smile when I needed one and the friend I had in you Shelly.

Paul, Tracy and Jennifer, please know that you wont be far from my thoughts and prayers in this time of need

Frankie LoCascio
    sc7799

9. Travis Rogers

Travis Rogers New Member

I just got an E-mail from my mother containing the news paper clipping of the accident. Somtimes you dont realize how much time you have spent with friends untill after they are gone. I have known Shelly, Brian, Jennifer, Tracy, and Paul for most of my life. It pains me to have lost touch with them in recent years but that is the way life goes sometimes. It is horrible to hear such a bad thing could happen to such good people. I would just like to say that knowing Shelly and Brian was a blessing. I do know that Shelly loved to race and Brian loved to watch her race so God Speed to you both. My deepist sympathy to Paul, Jennifer, and Tracy. From the middle of the Atlantic aboard the aircraft carrier Theodore Rosevelt.
    Your Friend Travis

10. bullet

bullet Jr. Dragster

This is just so terrible. I cruised into work yesterday morning and thought I would "check the boards" to see what was up in the world of Drag Racing and BANG, I was hit with this news.

This is just so tragic that I am stunned, to lose one member of your family is heartbreaking, but two, it is just too hard to comprehend.

My thoughts and prayers go to the Howard family and friends.
    RIP Shelly and Brian.

11. Chris Demke

Chris Demke Super Comp

It is obvious by the huge volume of messages being posted to this and other drag racing message boards that Shelly Howard was one of, if not the most popular TAD racer currently competing in our class. Her leadership and involvement with TARA, and recent victories at Houston and the 2004 Jegs AllStar event clearly demostrate that her skill and passion for drag racing were as strong as ever.
    As word of this horrible tragedy spread through the pits sunday morning at the division 7 race in Tucson, AZ, sorrow, disbelief and a huge sense of loss were expressed by all teams in attendance. Many, if not all of the TAD racers put black stripes across their numbers.
    Jerry Maddern, myself and the crew of the Peen-Rite TAD would like to dedicate our victory at Tucson to the memory of Shelly Howard.

Godspeed Shelly and Brian, your presence in our sport will be sadly missed.

Chris Demke
    Peen-Rite Top Alcohol Dragster

[ April 05, 2005, 02:54 AM: Message edited by: Chris Demke ]

12. AFD184

AFD184 New Member

Allthough I never had the pleasure of meeting Shelly I followed her career and listened to every word she had to say. She was a great ambasador to our class and will be sorely missed.
    We send our heartfelt condolences to the Howard Family.
    Ed Fisher, and the entire Fisher and Lupo racing team

13. white lightnin

white lightnin New Member

Shelly was truly a great competitor, She was well liked by our family and I will remember all the times we had to race her. We will miss her and Brian. Our prayers are with Paul and the rest of the family, GOD Bless and to Shelly and Brian GOD's Speed.

14. The Zone

The Zone Member

Shelly's memorial page at her racing site has begun. Have a peek , and keep on sending me your thoughts if you want them posted there.

Dean

15. Cali_Jeremy

Cali_Jeremy New Member

Paul, Jennifer, Tracy
    I am so very saddened to hear of Shelly and Brian. It has been far too long and my thoughts and prayers to you.

I unfortunatly lost touch many years ago but I always made a point to check on Shelly's racing career. After going to many races in the ole 7.90 days I always admired what a competetor Shelly was. She was also the most generous and caring person. I attended several races and always had a great time even though I am very mechanicaly impaired. I especially remember when Mark was racing his "nuclear banana" (I believe is what we called it) and Shelly had the "Lipstick Express." My first Spring Nationals was really thrilling for me. The fun I had in the pits will always be warm in my heart and thankfully I don't have any permanent scars from the scooters..

I was just reminded recently of Brian's love of drumming and the smile he would have while playing. I will always remember the Special Olympics in Minnesota.

Good memories of great times with very wonderful people. I'll be thinking of you all.

16. Ginger

Ginger New Member

I didn't know Shelly personally, having only met her once at a race. But from that first time I saw her race in Memphis years ago, I have been a huge fan and follower ever since. Always asking Jennifer how her mom was doing and reading the results from races...Kicking butt and taking names.

She will truly be missed, in my heart and everyone else's who respected and cheered for her at every race because of who and what she was in her heart. I looked up to her and felt that she was a great role model for young girls and women who choose to live outside the "norm" of supposed girlie-girl hobbies. Godspeed to Shelly and Brian... may you rest in peace together as you walk through the light hand in hand. You will remain forever in our hearts and thoughts!

Paul, Jennifer, and Tracy...I cannot even begin to imagine what you must be going through right now. But know that we are sending you our love and hope for peace during this difficult time. You are never alone.

17. Michaela

Michaela New Member

Wow. Shelly will truely be missed. Most ppl would like to die doing what they loved to do and I believe Shelly got to end her life doing what she loved. I just so happen to be listening to the radio that day and someone called in and said "hey can you tell me whats going on at the Tulsa Internation Raceway. There's ambulances there and everything." I proceeded to find out what was going on. I found out the tragic news and she will be missed. My friends and I were planning on going to the races that day but something held us back. My thoughts and prayers go out to the Howard family.
    God Speed Shelly!

18. Linton Brothers Racing

My Sister and I had the pleasure of knowing Shelly and Paul through a racing relationship/friendship of Shelly and our dad John Linton who decided it best to retire his racing career after a heart attack at a race in Iowa in 1999. Shelly flew to Iowa to be by his side and show her support. Shelly continued to be supportive throughout dads withdrawal phase of not continuing to race which could not have been easy to do. There were a few incidents that really stand out to us in showing Paul and Shelly unique caring and thoughtfulness. When my dads son in law was in a motorcycle accident and my dad could not be here, Shelly and Paul met the family at the door of the Hospital to give report. Another very special incident that stands out to us was when dads 2 year old grand daughter fell both hands first into a fireplace the Howards insisted we bring her to their home so they could assess her personally and make sure she was getting the best care she could possibly get. At that time we also had the pleasure of meeting Brian who also leaves us with a lasting impression through all his accomplishments and achievements he was so proud to show. They will definitely be greatly missed by us, our families, and especially our Dad. Thanks for being a supportive, great friend for us and him Shelly. As for Paul and the rest of the Howard family you will be in our thoughts and prayers, we are so sorry for your loss.

Sincerely,
    Finton Family of Bixby,Ok
    Robinson Family of Tonkawa,OK
    John Linton Family of Gold Canyon,AZ

19. TulsaDragFan

TulsaDragFan New Member

There was a memorial service at Tulsa Raceway Park this evening. Larry and Linda Smiley of Racers for Christ attended and Larry gave a very insightful and healing talk to those that were there. (Thank you Larry, your words helped me a lot.) I know it helped me deal with the 'whys?' of it all.

It was helpful as well to be surrounded by others, family, track personnel, fans and racers who share the love of this sport. I also made some new aquaintances and realize I need to spend more time out at the races. Good people.

It also gave me a chance to say goodbye one final time at the kind of place I know both of us loved to attend.

Matt

20. John B

John B New Member

I too was at the Memorial Service tonight and TulsaDragFan is exactly right about answering the "whys?" of it. I did not know Shelly personally, but even for me going to the Memorial Service tonight helped out. As we all know, even the fans are stuck dealing with these kinds of tragedies.

I walked the entire length of the track as did several others, and it is still very unclear as to how it happened and how the car went as straight as it did for the distance it went before it started veering off track.

John