Save racing

Discussion in 'Pit Buzz' started by The Leveler, Nov 1, 2009.

1. The Leveler

The Leveler New Member

Not to stir the pot. but they need to split the Top Alcohol Dragster class. There will never be parity. there will always be an advantage to one or the other at every single race.:mad:

2. T-Wrecks

T-Wrecks Member

Just build two cars..... that way you can use the one you think has an advantage!;)

3. Ed Arcuri

Ed Arcuri Member

I honestly think that Leveler has a point. I'd like to see the fuel cars as a Pro/Dragster class.
    I'd also like to see a return to a Pro/Comp format for the winners in TAD, TAFC, Pro/Mod, and Top Alcohol Altereds. The winners would run off at the end of each show on the Lucas tour. I think it would help put more fans in the seats.
    Of course, I'm not in charge of that formation!
    Cheers,
    Ed
    Rocky Mountain Superchargers
    www.rockymountainsuperchargers.com
    "If wishes were horses, beggars would ride." Anon.

4. Randy G.

Randy G. Top Alcohol

A long time ago we ran Houston and were pitted next to Tom Conway. He made a blast in his TAD, put it in the trailer, and when he unloaded it the next morning it was an A/FD. Only activity we ever saw was occasionally his wife would come out of the trailer door and walk the dog.

5. JFoss

JFoss New Member

Finally I can say it...

I worked at NHRA for 12 years in a department called Field Marketing which has responsibility for marketing the Lucas Oil Series along with a host of other responsibilities. Some of you know me, many of you don't.

Anyway, what I've been dying to say but never could until now is that you y'all need to quit whining about parity in TAD.

I started at NHRA in 1997, about the time Ches Bushey (I believe) introduced his little a-fuel car. It was terrible but a few others followed over the next few years and they weren't any better. When they were good they were awesome but more often they were bad... And those handful of a-fuel guys complained to NHRA about how it was unfair that the blown guys had such an advantage blahblahblah. NHRA said, "See how it shakes out." A few times NHRA did make changes that affected the blown guys but not to the satisfaction of the a-fuel guys and NHRA said, "See how it shakes out."

Well, guess what? Now it's shaken out and the tables have turned. Those blown guys don't remember how bad the a-fuel pioneers like Bushey, Conway and Darien had it for a number of years. Most of the rest jumped on board at the end of the learning curve so they probably don't remember either.

Wow, that was cathartic. :cool:

Jerrie

P.S. Randy Goodwin is BRILLIANT and just about spot on in all of his posts.

6. HerntDawg

HerntDawg New Member

Why should they stop whining again? You made no argument either way. If your saying it should be one way or the other, i agree.

7. eli

eli Banned

How about if NHRA gave the a/Fuel cars 100% lifted some weight and let them run with the top fuel cars? That would solve alot. ;)

8. blown375

blown375 New Member

How many do you think would make the switch to a class with better funded competition that they would be less competitive in and there maintenance and parts attrition would increase?

Whats wrong with fuel being within 10 degrees of ambient temperature with a smaller percentage of nitro to level the field ?

9. Russ Parker

Russ Parker Member

Review the title of the thread

Save racing? If saving racing is a matter of leveling the field in TAD that would be great. The far more important matter is that our country's economy needs to improve. Most, again I say most, of the people deciding whether to spend money with NHRA by way of sponsorship, race attendance or participation are not basing that decision on how fair things are in TAD.
    In racing most problems are solved by focusing your energy on your own car and whatever combination you run. Inovation. Adapt and overcome.

10. The Zone

The Zone Member

Too BAD you were one of those let go Jerrie.:(

The 50 degree deal will change things next year I think.
    Mind you we say this every year. (it is one of the things that makes the class exciting is the unknown.)
    I am not saying I know how many are cooling but I bet all the fast guys are, We will know by the time the Houston National runs. By that time there will be a half dozen events.

It (the class) should NOT be separated

Dean
    www.speedzonemagazine.com

11. eli

eli Banned

How many sponsors would switch to sponsoring an A/fuel car ( if its competitive ) that don't blow up every run/ or have to be rebuilt every run, it would be 1/3 the cost.