rear tire pressures ?

Discussion in 'PSI Superchargers Tech Questions' started by backmotor, Jul 16, 2006.

1. backmotor

backmotor Owner/Crewchief/Test Pilot

We run tubes and liners, 40 lbs in tube, 7 lbs (at first) 6 lbs now, in tire. Seem to be getting a lot of tire spin, you can hear it in latest video, can I go lower like 5.5 lbs ? What about longer burnouts, hoosier said just a little scrub is all they need ? Suggestions ?? video is at: http://www.BackMotor.com it's the newest one, thanks

2. bruce mullins

bruce mullins Top Dragster

5.5 is still to high. i changed to the hoosier this year and run 5lbs and seem to be pleased with them..

3. Bob Kraemer

Bob Kraemer New Member

Back in the mid 80's we used to run between 4.5 & 5.0 lbs

4. JP

JP Member

Hi ! hey i saw the video, Are those 33.5 or 34? What engine and rear end? stall?

Well to tell you the truth the car is NOT spining the tires, I joust moves out 5 or 7 foot and can't get on the tire. Either get smaller 16*33 or make a little more HP. Nitrous? ect

My opinion only!

5. backmotor

Hey JP, tires are 34.5x17x16, one video shows burnout procedure, and tire spin right off the line. Newest vid, eased off line and then spins tires from half track to finish line, even with pedal job. We run a lenco 2 spd and a clutch, launch at 3400 RPM, alky injected, no blower, with a BBC. Thanks for your help, guys

6. bruce mullins

bruce mullins Top Dragster

thats too big of a tire with no blower or nitrous. all you should be using is a 16x33 tire on a car like you are running. alky cars that are making 2500-3000 horsepower are using the 34.5x17 tire . how old are your tires and how many runs are on them. too big of a tire can cause you as many problems if not more than too small of a tire.

7. Chris Bennett

Chris Bennett Member

Tire Pressure

We run the hoosier inner/outer combination as well. We started with 40 inner and 6 outer. We have been bumping it up every run and it seems to like 7 or so. I run a blown alcohol funny car with 33.5's and a crowerglide nitro slider clutch. We leave off idle because of the clutch and don't have any trouble hooking up. You may want to soften up your clutch so it can slide a little bit more on the hit and then lock up down track. Have your video person stand behind the car, slightly offset so you can just see the front wheel. I'm not sure with a rear engined car, but ours will carry the front wheels for a while. It seems like yours just spins because the clutch is locking up right on hit. Good Luck.

Chris Bennett
    www.b2motorsports.com

8. JP

JP Member

I have made may way from bracket racing to top alcohol fc so I can honestly tell you that all those handling troubles are from, not having enought power to get up on the tires .

The least expensive move will be a 33*16*16 with no liners this will reduce the tire weight and help get up on the tire . If you want to keep those big tires put a nitrous system on it , to help it move.

Also I have no idea how that mid mounted spoiler would help or hurt your car.

You say its a 2 speed and cluth ? what ratios? what rear gear?

9. backmotor

Forgot to give rear gear ratio 4.30, trans is 1.68 in first gear, looks like two different problems, clutch too aggressive off line (adjusting now) and spins tires from 1/2 track to lights in 1/8th mile, thats the area I'd like to work on. Spoiler has very little attack angle, big side plates and shark fin help it go straight in the lights, but has room for wickerbill/gurney flap. Pretty sure it spins tires, was seeing shift lite near finish, which is rear wheel speed of 133 mph (in first gear), but only clocked 105 mph, got my basic tire pressures from an alky dragster, cause of motor location, but kinda felt they should be lower, didn't want to try it without some feedback first

10. Henry Charest

Henry Charest New Member

1.68 Gear Ratio

More years ago than I like to think about, I asked the folks at Lenco about changing our 1.56 two speed to a 1.68 ratio. This was with a 426 inch 5/8ths stroker 354 early model Chrysler, 8-71 on alcohol in what is now a TAD. The car ran 7.01 in 1976, so it wasn't a total slug for the time, about .14 off the ET record. The Lenco guys said we couldn't pull that gear, there was too big a split between the gears. We ran a 33.3 M&H tire and two disc spring clutch, 4.57 gear. At the time the hitters were running three speeds, and thats' what I'd reccomend for you. We also tried 34.5 Goodyears, and couldn't pull 'em.

11. backmotor

We wanted 1.92 first gear with our 36" Goodyears, lenco said won't fit in the case, 1.68 max, so got that and went to hoosier 34.5", much better. There is NO space for 3 speed or torque converter set-up. Think I got the launch prob under control with clutch adj., want to work on top end tire spin problem, wanted to drop air pressure to help traction but did not want to make it unstable at speed, actually goes pretty straight (when not blazing tires) we test at Lakeland on JULY 29, try 5.5 lbs in rears, go from there, let ya know

12. Will Hanna

Will Hanna We put the 'inside' in Top Alcohol
    Staff Member

something's off

there's no way an injected motor should ever think about spinning a 34.5 with a 1.68 low and 4.30 rear gear. screw blower alcohol cars run that combo with about 2000 more horsepower than what you're claiming to have.

so that leaves a couple of conclusions...if it's really spinning the tires, then the track is so bad you dont need to go back.

it may not be spinning the tire and just 'wallering' around on the tires. drag cars tend to handle horribly when they're not on the tire.

even with the short wheelbase, with the motor in the rear, it should have enough weight back there to keep from spinning.

somethings out of whack somewhere. take the marginal track variable out of the equation, make the trip to somewhere reputable like gville, bradenton, or even moroso. i don't know where lakeland is in fla., but if you want to get your car lined out, you need to do it on a decent track where they're running other slick tire cars.

there's no way an injected motor should spin the tires off the line with that ratio, much less down track.

13. JP

JP Member

With all due respect,guys watch his video .
    It is not spining tires!

best bet on that combo is a 300hp fogger nitrous.
    Also check on a set of 14*32 tires and a 4.86 gear.

I owned a rear engine bracket dragster and with a 509 bbc had 33*16 a 4.86 gear a lenco 2.15-1.45-1.00 and ran 7.29 in the quarter. Just to give you an idea.

14. IGO1320

IGO1320 T/D 2268

Lakeland Dragstrip

Try another track, I don't want to rag on a track but.....it looks like they are useing highway barriers for the wall, I went out helped a buddy with his VW at an import race there and downtrack was "real loose" watching the cars from the line, and they are slow cars, relatively speaking.

15. IGO1320

IGO1320 T/D 2268

oops

Just looked at the video, I agree it isn't spinning.

16. nz funny car

nz funny car New Member

silly question

hi silly question but with the two way valve which is for setting the inner pressure and which is for the outer?

17. jclay

jclay New Member

Turn the valve all the way out, that is for the outer. Turn the valve all the way in and that is for the inner.
    Sorry to ask a question in this thread but going on from the previous post, I have been told that the valve should always been turned all the way in before the run. Is this true and why? Does it stop air leaking from the inner to the outer?
    Thanks, John

18. backmotor

We run the new Hoosier tires, tubes and liners. They have separate valves for each. 40 lbs in tube thru conventional location, then, on back of rim (near caliper) is the tubeless fill point. Always fill higher pressure first, any air that seeps thru natural rubber tube, winds up in the tubeless portion, and you have to let them down to 6 or 5.5 lbs (for us anyway) edit: OOPS forgot this, we used to run the goodyear ones, had inner leak to outer on one side, took valve core assy out and replaced the o-rings, that fixed it. The same o-rings seal off passages whether in or out, but whole the stem is shorter (when turned in) and less likely to get hit or damaged from debris or cleaning

Last edited: Jul 22, 2006