re: wacked again

Discussion in 'Pit Buzz' started by dave hirata, Dec 19, 2008.

1. mosaurus

mosaurus New Member

calm down

I believe what he is saying is that we ALL have ice chests in our pit. You know, the ones that keep our beverages cold.:rolleyes:

2. elusiveiceman

elusiveiceman New Member

amen to that!

3. dave hirata

dave hirata Member

can anyone give me the page in the 09 rule book where it mentions about cooling fuel. thank you.

4. Will Hanna

Will Hanna We put the 'inside' in Top Alcohol
    Staff Member

Page 191-192 TAD Rules Section 1: Engine

Fuel

Fuel lines must be isolated from driver compartment by a subfloor or housing where engine is located in rear and fuel tank is in front of driver. Pressurized fuel tanks prohibited. Fuel tanks must be mounted above bottom framerail. Fuel cells permitted. Maximum two fuel pumps. Electronic or electrically controlled fuel system prohibited. The use of propylene oxide and/or nitrous oxide is prohibited. For ease of NHRA fuel check, an inline drain valve in the return circuit from the barrel valve is required. Artificial cooling and/or heating of fuel prohibited. Fuel gauge lines in the drivers compartment must be steel or steel braided with steel fittings. Flexible gauge lines in the driver's compartment must be hydrostatically pressure tested at 750 psi for 30 seconds and labeled. Label must be impervious to fuel and brake cleaner. See General Regulations 1:5 and 1:6

Page 250 General Regulations 1:5

Fuel/Air

Any methold of artificially cooling or heating fuel prohibited (ie cool cans, freon, wet rags, etc.), except as noted in Class Requirements. Cool cans, wet towels, etc., are permitted in Super Stock, Stock, Super Comp, Super Gas, Super Street, and E.T. classes. Wet towels, rags, ice, etc. must be removed before vehicle leaves staging area. Ambient temperature air only; cooling or otherwise changing the conditions of the intake air is prohibited. Spraying of intake with any artificial spray or coolant prohibited.

5. dave hirata

dave hirata Member

thanks will. i couldnt find it.

6. bmoore

bmoore Member

thread record??

Dave, when you first posted this thread did you think it would get this kind of response? What have you seen with cooling, or do you? or can you say??
    Bill

7. Will Hanna

Staff Member

most viewed

As of right now, this thread is seven 'views' away from being the most viewed thread in the history of the site.

Last year's thread in regards to helmet shrouds, seat inserts and belly pans was the previous most viewed.

8. Ron C

Ron C Jr. Dragster

Will, that statement about cooling fuel in the rule book could be arguable about it's specific application. All of the rule conditions stated in that paragraph where referenced to things that are physically attached or located within the vehicle itself. I take that to mean you cannot chill the fuel while within the confines of the vehicle itself.
    To expand that idea a little more it states you cannot pressurize the fuel tank. Does that mean that all of those vent scoops that actually pressurize the tank at speed are doing something in violation of the rule book?

Just one that digests the rule book..........blessings...........Ron Clevenger.

9. Will Hanna

Staff Member

clarification

either way, I think NHRA needs to clarify their position on this. clearly, there is some grey area there. (that's an odd sentence....)

10. Chsbldr

Chsbldr Member

"Spraying of intake with any artificial spray or coolant prohibited".

So does this mean that blower cars can no longer spray the injector with De Icer?

11. dave hirata

dave hirata Member

i dont kknow if cooling fuel works. we've run our best numbers just dumping it in the tank. ive heard that some "a/fool koolrz" get that stuff to near slush. (that would be an awsome dairy queen flavor) if putting it near an a/c vent consists of cooling than it has not helped me. i dont think it will get cold enough. plus, it hasnot helped my performance.

will do i get a medal for starting this thread or the breast to pin it on.

12. JustinatAce

JustinatAce Member

What Chilling Fuel actually does..

Chilling anything will have the same effect. All chilling does is allow for more molecules to be in a given volume of space. The chilling actually calms the molecules down, requiring less space for each molecule's existence. It actually makes the makeup more dense.

It wouldn't change the concentration, just the amount needed to fill a volume. Say you fill a 10 gallon Fuel Cell is at 72 degrees, chill it to 30 degrees and it wouldn't look full anymore. As long as you don't hit the freezing point, it's a chemical property of most things that exist as a liquid(or gas) at normal temperatures. Air does the same thing, the cooler it is, the more dense it is, which would be the other effect of having chilled fuel.

Thats why you should always fill your gas tank early in the morning, cheat the system! :)

13. nitrohemi

nitrohemi injected nitro!!

Dogg!

If your dog is not in the fight , Beat it!!!! go sell some clutch disc somewhere
    AS I have have 2 Injected cars in my shop that are affected directly by this and some good friends of mine also. Everyone but the racers it affects has got an opinnion on these rules latley.IF you have a tad in nhra than my bad . ACE
    E.BROWN

Last edited: Jan 6, 2009
  14. youngtuner

youngtuner Member

Good input ACE. Its nice to hear from someone not on either side of the fence. He wasnt posting an opoin just fact.

15. JustinatAce

JustinatAce Member

As far as I know, I have no opinion on the rules nor did I post any opinion, didn't mean to piss anybody off, there were just a lot of questions about what chilling fuel actually does and there was no definitive answer left as to what chilling fuel actually does, so I posted one. It's not my place to have an opinion on the rules. Shit, if it were up to me, I'd say F*&K the rules and let 'em eat! I'm sorry the rules are affecting everyone, but don't make me your whipping boy.

As far as being here to sell just to sell clutch discs, boy I peddle those bastards hard here huh. My sales have skyrocketed since I joined. :eek:

Have a coke and a smile and simmer the hell down.

16. Blown Chances

Blown Chances New Member

Question for the whole class

Here's a simple one to start with...

What pushes the piston down the cylinder?

(Simplest answer possible please.)

Flash

17. 310TAD

310TAD Top Alcohol

Flash,
    Is it.................expanding gases? Like when a gas heats up?

What did I win? :)

18. Blown Chances

Blown Chances New Member

Marty you are correct! Gold star. There will be a fresca for you in our fuel chiller... I mean
    Cooler... Next time I see ya.

19. JustinatAce

JustinatAce Member

roflmao!!!!!!

20. 310TAD

310TAD Top Alcohol

The problem is with the blown alcohol car it does not work. Since that big blower is already overfilling the intake port with air, if you put the cooler (denser) fuel in it gets rich and slows down. It's that old supersonic physics problem.
    As where the cool nitro charge on the normally aspirated motor quenches the cylinder, pulling a larger vacuum and pulling in even more oxygenating fuel and air. Then you add the greater expansion factor and you get 5-teens if you did it right.
    Can I have another pat on the head, Professor Flash?