Pro Mods? Threat level?

Discussion in 'Pit Buzz' started by Will Hanna, Jun 2, 2003.

1. the dog

the dog New Member

The field the question about the low turnout at divisional races. Here on the west coast there are a few pro mods that run in comp. We have run the car in comp at national events and at divsionals. I know a few is not 10 but looks at how many A/A comp cars show up per race. The main problem with getting a large turnout of pro mod cars at a national or divisional is that the index has been killed. Why go and spend the money if you cant get in the field. My feeling is that why would i want to try to run comp when i could run my pro mod in what it was meant for heads up and going fast. Someone made the statement that watching pro mod is no fun because of all the aborted runs how many classes have aborted runs also. When trying to go fast sometimes they aren't all good passes.

2. Outlaw Nick

Outlaw Nick Top Dragster

Ha ha ha ! :D That's a fairly typical payout as far as Quick 8s go nationwide. Some are higher some lower.

3. Outlaw Nick

Outlaw Nick Top Dragster

Hmmm.... who let the dog out? :D My last reply was meant for you F-O-R.

4. Outlaw Nick

Outlaw Nick Top Dragster

Will, am I correct in asuming that there will be no tech inspection other than safety at your races? If not then you might be on to something...Outlaw Alky! :D

[ July 04, 2003, 05:36 PM: Message edited by: Outlaw Nick ]

5. Kingnitro

Kingnitro New Member

I think Lee Callaway hit the nail on the head, I had heard from a couple of sources that GM's sponsorship of PS requires that no other Door class can be faster than PS! I have NO idea what's in store for PM at NHRA races, I enjoy them as I would the alky classes. I will admit the class needs NOS cars to be competitve. They are truly a fan favorite!

6. Outlaw Nick

Outlaw Nick Top Dragster

Kingnitro, do you know something about GM that I don't? As far as I am aware GM is not involved in sponsorship of the Pro Stock class. They are a title rights sponsor of two NHRA races, they are involved with a few teams and are a contingecy sponsor to the amount of $4500 per race for the Pro Stock class. As this picture shows, GM doesn't seem to have a problem with Pro Mod.

[​IMG]

7. ROF

ROF Top Dragster

Nick- are you in the Texas area, or are you on the East coast area?

8. Outlaw Nick

Outlaw Nick Top Dragster

I'm from Texas. I moved to New York last year. Where're you from?

[ July 05, 2003, 03:13 PM: Message edited by: Outlaw Nick ]

9. Greg Duffield

Greg Duffield New Member

Why the move to NY Nick? I moved back to Texas about a year ago after living in Florida for over 4 years.

10. Outlaw Nick

Outlaw Nick Top Dragster

Hi Greg! Glad to hear you're back in Texas. Does this mean you and your folks will be racing again? :D Still have the Vega? It's kind of a long story about why I moved here and why I'm still here. if you really want to know follow this link: http://www.promodifieds.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=1877&highlight=Screwed+Blue
    So you moved back last year? Looks like we just missed each other.

I guess we'd better stay on topic so here goes. I missed the Div. 1 race this weekend. Reason was the Pro Mods were cancelled. LV track management was concerned that with the expected high car count there wouldn't be enough time to do the show right. Fair enough, the points race does have to come first. At least the alky fields were full. The finals are coming down about how I expected. My money is on McPhillips and Newberry!

11. Outlaw Nick

Outlaw Nick Top Dragster

Will,

I saw your press release for Sealybration. Nice! Smack talk too. I really liked the school bus part! :D Are you guys going to go back for the rescheduled date? I hear TOPMA would like to run on that date there also. Maybe you could challenge the Pro Mod winner to race the Funny Car winner? Just a thought.

Take care!

Nick

12. Outlaw Nick

Outlaw Nick Top Dragster

Since the saftey question was raised in the other thread, and you raised the point about six foot 100% nitro flames, it seems time to answer this one:

Whether or not Pro Mods are actually a threat to the Alcohol classes, alky racers sure do seem to feel threatened by them. Why is that?

13. was R4K

was R4K Member

Where I come from we have the NHRA pro mod record holder (worth about a quarter million and looks every nickle!)Our total budget is the price of his tow vehicle- Do we feel threatened? Hell No! we just go out and make 5 second passes! and admire him and his fellow pro mods for what they do. They do it very well! We strive to learn our class - IT'S JUST A DIFFERENT CLASS! IF YOU ARE LOOKING FOR A THREAT- try looking at unemployment or something and figure out that all drag racers should be in the same fraternity- STAND TOGETHER BIG BOY OR FALL APART!

14. was R4K

was R4K Member

Where I come from we have the NHRA pro mod record holder (worth about a quarter million and looks every nickle!)Our total budget is the price of his tow vehicle- Do we feel threatened? Hell No! we just go out and make 5 second passes! and admire him and his fellow pro mods for what they do. They do it very well! We strive to learn our class - IT'S JUST A DIFFERENT CLASS! IF YOU ARE LOOKING FOR A THREAT- try looking at unemployment or something and figure out that all drag racers should be in the same fraternity- STAND TOGETHER BIG BOY OR FALL APART!

15. Outlaw Nick

Outlaw Nick Top Dragster

Well said R4K. Even if you did say it twice! :D

16. was R4K

was R4K Member

sorry Outlaw- Obviously I am no better on the computer than I am at the wheel- Good thing is that I have fun at both tasks! lol [​IMG]

17. Gary Stroud

Gary Stroud New Member

Cool thread!!!

18. Lee Callaway

Lee Callaway The Gov

If that day ever comes and the alcohol guys make the switch to pro mod 80% of the quality cars running now will be packing saturday.not to mention the leakers

19. was R4K

was R4K Member

Lee- could very well be prophetic- Been over 30 years since I drove a race car with suspension, but I bet a good crew chief would figure that out.

[ July 15, 2003, 09:21 PM: Message edited by: was R4K ]

20. Gary Stroud

Gary Stroud New Member

Lee if you think for a minute running a roots blower at 25% and 2700lbs of lead is a walk in the park maybe you should contact a chassis builder and show us just how easy it is.

Two of the best tuners in the roots blower Alky business Jimmy Rector and Howard Moon will tell you it's not easy and without people who are good with chassis setup they wouldn't be running as good as they are.

This debate over who is better between 2 different classes is rediculous and to think the TA guys would judge the guys racing PM's is even more rediculous. You don't see this on the Pro Modified message boards.

Not here to start trouble, I think Will has a great site and I am also a big fan of TA racing and would like to see nothing more than the classes become more popular.

Will you comment earlier about TA cars not being able to run on some of the tracks because of suspension and speed, you also need to think about the weight difference, a light car is easier to stop and makes up the difference and this is stuff I have been told by guys that have drivin both TAFC's and PM's, one of them almost lost his life in our Vette because he couldn't stop the car.

[ July 16, 2003, 01:25 AM: Message edited by: Gary Stroud ]