Pomona blower inspections

Discussion in 'Pit Buzz' started by Will Hanna, Nov 13, 2011.

1. ITS IN MY BLOOD

It absolutly has everything to do with PSI,..PSI has to recert these blowers,..so whether or not DMPE has made these mods before or after the recert and for HOW MANY YEARS NOW, of the blower, the blower still has to come back to PSI for recert eventually, and if they(the blower case) get a new cert with the mods then yes it has everything to do with PSI.

Unless you are saying and telling me that DMPE is also authorised to recert PSI blowers too, and pass them regaurdless of what the nhra rule book says,..that makes DMPE a resposible party also for scrutiny....??

So who ALL is cheating,.?? The manufactures that support the NHRA, and or the Nhra that has deemed a sole manufacturer of producing "theirs only" products for the drag racer.

I am just saying,....this is not solely a Bartone/Jackson/Boggs issue,..it goes way beyond them, and deep into the red tape and what is ACCUMULATING up under the carpet WITH NHRA`s broom stick.

Now Shhhhhhhhhh everybody, be very very quite dont say a word ,..it will pass.,

All the while the alcohol class is getting the nail in the coffin and sent out to the Goodwill stores around the country, but thats more important than the illegal rule breaking activity within the association and their monopoly manufactures.

There is nothing more to say,....NHRA NEEDS A ENIMA,..!!!!!!!

Last edited: Dec 1, 2011
  2. Randy G.

Randy G. Top Alcohol

The SFI blower cert is good for 3 years. Are you still responsible for EVERYTHING you did 3 years ago?

Think for a second. If a racer did something they thought might give them an advantage (and they had the budget) do you think for one a minute the manufacturer would ever see the light of day on what they were doing?

Problem with this is, like I have said in the past. Getting caught blatantly cheating taints everything you've ever done in your racing career and puts an asteric (*) on every win, record you've set or championship you've won. It's not the same as being 5 pounds too light at the scales or having too much moisture in your fuel at fuel check. It hurts to know a fellow competitor and friend made a deliberate decision to stoop to this level to try to beat me or my competitors when we've come to play fair. Whether or not what was done to the supercharger helped it or not doesn't matter. Someone made the decision to take the supercharger apart at the shop, got out the grinder and spit in the face of all of us TA/FC racers right then and there.

Sorry to say ths but just a fine is peanuts/BS. I hope Collins is reading this.

RG

Last edited: Dec 1, 2011
  3. john348

john348 Top Alcohol

Randy I agree 100% the BS fine probably was only what the mods cost
    The whole team should have a 1 year suspension, period, this seems worse to me than when Mike Strasburg couldn’t pee into the cup.

All points from this year stripped as far as end of year awards
    Plus the fine
    Then what do you do about the blower, destroy it, give it back, replace the case?
    Sell it, with proceeds towards some charity?

Sad thing is i see some sort of sealed blower coming after this and we will be back to just one manufacture doing anything to them again, comes back seal broken – no cert!

4. Hal Westerlund

Hal Westerlund New Member

John and Randy I agree completely. If I feel bad for Anyone on that team it is Tony who gets his name drug thru the mud, Any ones guess if he had Knowledge....
    $5000. Horse poop!+
    1) Get a copy of the DMPE reciept and remove (Fine) all national and Divisional moneys and contingencys since that date. PERIOD
    2) Destroy the Modified case(trick titanium can do it) ROTORS ok? GIVE EM BACK
    3) calculate the costs of Garcias time to chase this stuff down Double it.
    4) calculate the costs winnings and contingencies and double that amount.
    5) add to it the cost of a new blower you were willing to risk anyways double it.
    6) add it up, Now thats a FINE!!!!!
    7) subtract the Garcia funds, and Some administration costs maybe say $2500.00
    7) Place The remaining funds in the Alcohol class payout account to raise payouts for those honestly running. Gosh you could go home with Gas money!!!!

Lets face it $5000 and a wink is not a fine for Millionaires it's chump change,

Dehydration and not peeing in a cup costs how much?
    Running the wrong tire costs how much?
    Openly disregard for the rules is $5000.00
    The loss of respect of others through piss poor judgement for NHRA and the Jackson/ Boggs Group is PRICELESS, you Never recover from deception of others.

Anyone paying for a service to their property without asking for details and knowing the LONG established rules against modifications, is asking for trouble, no matter when it is caught.
    Sorry for the ramble,
    Hal

5. Dave Germain

Dave Germain New Member

Penalties

5000$ fine for an illegally modified blower? Chump change for some guys. But here is another thought- after modifiying that blower they had to know that it wouldn't pass it's next recert. So they opted to have it modified and throw it away after it's cert expired. That was a 11,000$ choice they made. If they are racing next season it will be because the NHRA has quit being a rules enforcing association. Suspending a team and it's crew chief for a whole year because of using a tire they had been using for quite some time? Suspending another guy who is too dehydrated to pee enough? And now a team that blatantly DECIDES to break the rules and smile at their various award ceremonies throughout the season? This is bullshit to the first degree. Come on NHRA act like you got a pair. Dave Germain

6. Dan Parker

Dan Parker TAFC

Penality's

Thanks John, Hal, & Randy for saying what I was thinking, you guys put it into words that really needed saying.
    Thanks
    Dan Parker

7. Pat McGill

Pat McGill Member

Anyone else have these same mods or is the Jackson Team all alone on this deal?

8. rb0804

rb0804 Active Member

From what the article says, the only one at Pomona deemed with an illegal blower was the Jackson team. With the fines and all I doubt that if anyone else was running a similar blower that they would come forward now. I would think that if you called DMPE and asked if they could do anything to increase the output of the blower, they would tell you yes, to send it in. They are not responsible for its use once it leaves their shop, for all they know it could be an ADRL blower. With that being said, with Mayer being a part of the Jackson, Boggs, Bartone team, it sheds a little different light on the situation. I heard DMPE had spend some time developing a twin screw supercharger and was told by NHRA that it would NEVER become an accepted blower for competition. Anyone else remember when Cantrell first started using the blower coating and PSI came out and said that they were not going to re-cert anything that was modified?

9. Hal Westerlund

Hal Westerlund New Member

Pat, the only other blowers that were questioned, And I am not fully in the loop of all this were Whitely/Bateman and Gasperelli, maybe another At Maple Grove and Reynolds GA. I was not at Vegas or Pomona to know what happened there... Now the big difference is that the Blowers were no longer used where as someone else continued. With 2 or three blowers in the riggs it is not out of the relm of possibility to have a dummy on the car until inspected and a run blower, NHRA was wise in pulling Blowers after the runs before they made it back to the pits... .
    Steve G has posted here he is stuck with a balanced and Blueprinted unit he cannot use.
    All around buyer beware..... services your requesting, and used units your buying should all be questioned and not taken for granted.

Hal
    By the way, I have helped race against Roger for 30 years and I have full confidence that "HIS" blower would have no issues. Since nothing was said afterwards must have been O.K

Last edited: Dec 4, 2011
  10. Pat McGill

Pat McGill Member

Thanks for the information!

11. kensfastcars

kensfastcars TAFC/TAD

Bartone

This is total BS, Team Bartone caught cheating. I agree that they should loose all 2011 points, winnings and Iron they no doubt have on display. As a TAFC driver/racer, I would go stick my head in the sand and go do something else with my life. They "Bartone team" is a disgrace to the great class we have .... Shame on you loosers...

12. danrace

danrace New Member

the worst part is if you hand out piss weak penalty's like that it encourages others two cheat as the precidence has been set . Cheat all year then get a 5000.00 fine at finals considering the money an alky team spends seem like a no brainer may as well cheat. Unfortunately not everyone has ethics to stop them cheating just wish nhra would hand down a decent penalty for blatent cheating like that.

13. Pat McGill

Pat McGill Member

Has anyone heard an update from the team yet? Rough year for a team that was a stones throw from the big #1: (1) 2-step, (2) Indy top-end incident, and (3) fine for illegal blower mods.

14. MaineAlkyFan

MaineAlkyFan Active Member

Fine for illegal blower mods: $5,000.

Loss of respect of fellow racers and fans: Priceless.

Chris Saulnier
    Gray, Maine

15. Chris Perl

Chris Perl New Member

Aside from aggravation our team is doing fine. *Tony and Rick have filled an appeal with NHRA this week and we are sure that this matter will be cleared up and the truth will be known. *I can assure you that there were no performance modifications done to this or any of our superchargers. *Our team has never and will never attempt to cheat. *That includes any work we’ve done with DMPE.
    I can promise everyone that Rick Jackson Racing and Tony Bartone are not going anywhere. *We are working harder than ever to prepare for next season. *We are all extremely proud of our accomplishments this year and plan to pick up right where we left off.
    If it makes some racers feel good/important to badmouth our team with no knowledge of the situation, then feel free. *Its just more motivation for next season. *I’ll let you be the judge in Pomona. *

The support from our sponsors, friends and a vast majority of our competitors has been overwhelming. *I'm looking forward to 2012.

Chris Perl
    Rick Jackson Racing

16. DOUG GORDON

Blueprinted blowers legal

I did notice in the article on Competitionplus that Gray said that the PSI blueprinted blowers are legal.

Doug Gordon

17. HemiCuda

HemiCuda New Member

“They were looking for a significant modification in the blowers and did not find them and found a deburring mark in the front case (of the blower) and made a mountain out of a mole hill,” Boggs said. “They completely overreacted to this deburring mark in the blower (in the front case).”

Deburring mark may be an over-exagerration, but Boggs is not a cheater! Never was and never will be...

18. Steve Gasparrelli

are balanced and blueprinted blowers okay now...? SG

19. Randy G.

Randy G. Top Alcohol

20. Cal Bellamy

Cal Bellamy New Member

I have been following this thread for a while and now feel i must comment.
    The NHRA response on Competition Plus should leave all racers helpless. To compress the context of the article, NHRA has pictures they will not release, they intend to keep it for a very long period of time and may destroy it.
    Should not the manufacturer of the product be consulted as to alleged legality or illegality of the part. Norm Drazy is the design engineer at PSI I am sure if he was consulted for 10 minutes the issue would be put to rest.The NHRA says they have no blower dyno,so how can they render a judgement of this severity. I did not read any text in this article suggesting NHRA possessed superior knowledge or outside reference
    Here is a what if, suppose a small rock or some hardened material were to be inhaled by your PSI and leave a marking or a inclusion on the rotors or case in the compression zones,further there are some natural wear scrubs that occur.
    Does this suggest that your supercharger may be declared modified or illegal?
    Furthernore the team and owner is left completely defenseless with no means to refute their conclusions. Worse yet NHRA's veil of secrecy leaves the teams and owners subject to slander and years of suspicion.
    I would like to throw another offbeat observation into this,are not all the various injector hats and spacers not extensions or "modifications" to the superchargers?