Passports for Canadian border

Discussion in 'Pit Buzz' started by Dave Germain, May 8, 2006.

1. Dave Germain

Dave Germain New Member

Does anybody know if passports are required for entry into Canada? I had heard a rumor last year and I didn't know when it was supposed to go into effect.

2. was R4K

was R4K Member

Dave- not yet-- may come in Sep 06 due to U S Homeland security- below is a quote from Canada immigration--

To enter Canada you require a valid passport (valid for at least 1 day after you intend to leave Canada) unless you are a US citizen crossing the US and Canadian border. In this case, good identification is required

http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/visit/index.html

3. Cricket

Cricket New Member

You do not need a passport to enter Canada. The US is going to require passports for Canadian's to enter the US in the future, but we do not require them for Americans at this time.

Keep in mind however, that if you have any type of criminal record (even minor record) you will not be allowed to cross into Canada and may have a very hard time getting back into the states.

Cricket

4. Dave Germain

Dave Germain New Member

Thanks guys for the great info. I guess I can go to Mission after all. Now I better get the damn car done. I am out of excuses.

5. NarrowCamaro

NarrowCamaro New Member

I am a Canadian aswell and have been following this for some time, as far as I know the proposed plans for Canadian citizens to require a passport to enter the US have been done away with.

6. was R4K

was R4K Member

Narrow- not yet it hasn't- still going to be a requirement- USA will give it's citizens a smart card, but Canada is not keeping up- Sad!

7. hemi altered 378

hemi altered 378 Blown Altered

we went up to canada 5 or 6 times on vacation. never had a problem coming or going until last year. we got into canada ok, went to windsor for a little gambling and decided to go home. on the way out they were jerks! we were very polite, and answered all of their questions. we sat for 2 hours untill they decided to let us back in the U.S. they told us the next time we come back to have a birth certificate (anyone can get a fake i.d. they said.) now i carry one if i am going out of the country. anyone else had problems like this?

8. Bob Kraemer

Bob Kraemer New Member

We never had any problems crossing the border when we won the last WAR race in Grand Bend Canada. The only problem was smart ass border guards coming home. There were other racers in front of us so we got in the same lane as they were and one of them smarted off and said "what is this, monkey see monkey do" after being up for damn near 50 hours it was everything I could do to keep my mouth shut other than that we weren't delayed at all.
    One thing you have to remember they have boring jobs for the most part and they like to flex there authority from time to time.

9. Dan Mercier

Dan Mercier New Member

Hi,
    I pass the customs a dozen times per year with my racing team and I experienced many problems but its been 3 years that I pass with all my equipment with no problem. The solution is : a list of 2 pages of all my equipment and each time I pass the customs I get it stamped by my country of origine( Canada) if you are a US resident it would be US and if there is a problem I show it to the customs. It takes less than 5 minutes to get the list stamped..

Dan, TAD-15

10. Cricket

Cricket New Member

Crossing into Canada and the US

Make sure you carry 2 pieces of photo identification. Drivers License and something else. This will eliminate any questions as to fake ID.

At this point, January 1st, 2007, Canadians will be required to carry a valid passport in order to gain entry to the US. The department of homeland security origianally wanted digital identification in the Canadian passports, but our government has stated this is not possible to do by January 1st, 2007, so a standard passport is sufficient. However, you will be refused entry to the US after January 1st, 2007 if you do not have a passport.

The Canadian government has stated that at this point, they will only require photo identification for entry to Canada. Having said that, it might be adviseable to get a US passport anyway, as a secure form of identification.

Cricket

11. NervesofSteel

From what I've heard 2007 is the year for passports for ground transportation and 2008 for air flights.

12. Randy G.

Randy G. Top Alcohol

All of this to go back and forth to and from Canada, while the southern borders you just walk around the holes in the fences.

We havd no problems, but JD got strip searched back when Melanie was driving for him.

13. Dave Germain

Dave Germain New Member

ok, so I need to comb my hair and get all duded up for pictures?

14. nitrohawk

nitrohawk New Member

Texsans are a Problem!

A couple of years ago my wife and I took a trip to Alaska. We entered Canada on the north east of Washington. We were in a one ton diesel four door with a large camper on the back. When pulling up to the Canadian border
    I had been forewarned that if you were from Texas you would be delayed. Of course I didn't believe it. As we pulled up and stopped the lady guard said I see you are from Texas. You have any guns? No. You have any ammo? No. You have any sharp instruments. Nothing except a few knives we cook and eat with. Pull over there she says and they tore the whole camper and truck apart as we sat. They were very aragant and rude. Mean while it seemed like all the hells angles from four states passed without being stopped as well as some vans with really hippi's looking looking like they were straight out of the 60's. When they were through they gave us a Canadian pin and it took another hour to put everything back together. Not a nice experience! Guess they just don't like Texans. Once in the country we had a great time and were treated well. On the way out it was a better experience.

15. WADE RACING

WADE RACING New Member

Randy G

I JD you refer to is in fact Jerry Darien, he probably asked to be strip searched! ! ! ! ! !:) :)

16. clint thompson

Id

Last Year When I Went To Mission (august) We Had Only Oregon Drivers Licenses. The Man Asked For Birth Certs And Told Me That Next Year It Would Be Mandatory (birth Certificate Or Passport) I'm Not Sure But Had My Guys Get Passports Just To Make Less Chance Of Hassle.

17. Bumpy55

Bumpy55 Member

Clint when do we get to see some pictures of the new car ? If its not Green I'm gonna need a new shirt.

JD strip searched, boy that will leave a lasting image burned into the old gray matter, Brrrrrrrr!:cool:

18. Art

Art New Member

Mission

We are heading to Mission next month for the Division 6 race in Top Comp. I believe it is mandatory to have your original birth certificate with you, plus a photo ID.
    Last year, my son went up there with the car, went through all the hastle of getting the original birth certificate papers. He went through into Canada with no problem, he did expect a hastle coming back, the guards just asked a couple of questionsand waved them on through.
    It is best to be prepared with birth certificates for everyone in the vehicle, drivers licnese and it is simple enough to fill out NHRA's paperwork you can get off theirnternet WB sight. That way, it should be OK.
    That's of course unless some armed bandit is heading that way, then the border guards walk off the job and leave verything in limbo.

19. ITS IN MY BLOOD

ENTRY/EXIT REQUIREMENTS: All persons entering Canada may be required to present proof of citizenship and identity. U.S. citizens are encouraged to show a U.S. passport. If they do not have a passport, they should be prepared to provide a government-issued photo ID (e.g. Driver’s License) and proof of U.S. citizenship such as a birth certificate, naturalization certificate, or expired U.S. passport. U.S. citizens entering Canada from a third country must have a valid U.S. passport. A visa is not required for U.S. citizens to visit Canada of up to 180 days. Anyone seeking to enter Canada for any purpose besides a visit, (e.g. to work, study or immigrate) should contact the Canadian Embassy or nearest consulate prior to travel. Anyone with a criminal record (including some misdemeanors such as Driving While Impaired (DWI) charges) may be excluded or removed from Canada, and should contact the Canadian Embassy or nearest Canadian consulate well in advance of any planned travel for further processing, which may take some time. For further information on entry requirements, travelers may contact the Embassy of Canada at 501 Pennsylvania Avenue NW, Washington, D.C. 20001, tel. (202) 682-1740, or the Canadian consulates in Buffalo, Detroit, Los Angeles, New York or Seattle. The Canadian Embassy’s website is: http://www.canadianembassy.org/.

20. was R4K

was R4K Member

I bet that JD almost passes out when he hears a rubber glove snap now!:D