Old burst panel

Discussion in 'PSI Superchargers Tech Questions' started by SoDak, Jul 23, 2010.

1. SoDak

SoDak Active Member

What was wrong with the operation of the old burst panels that had springs holding them shut?
    Was it that you didn't know if they popped open?

2. rogue335

rogue335 New Member

If you set them up right workedgreat apiece of tape over the parting lines will tell you if it banged. but then sfi got into it so now you need to spend more money.

3. SoDak

SoDak Active Member

In your opinion, is there something dangerous about them?
    Or what was the reason that SFI got involved?

4. Don Onimus

Don Onimus New Member

burst panel

MONEY is what make them rich + use working.

5. Fuel Cars

Fuel Cars AA/AM

What I remember about the old pop-offs is that they were not burst panels but just pressure-relief valves and that they were unreliable, difficult to set and were prone to pressure change from temperature and weather variations.

There really was no way of having a specific and calibrated setting and saw many blowers trashed when the motor sneezed and the pop-offs never opened.

The new real burst panels are pretty well standardized and reliable as to when they will rupture.

6. rogue335

rogue335 New Member

I cut a oring groove on our manifold never had problems sealing. springs was checked on a valve spring checker. so we new how many .turn would be for pressure. most of the ones that were trashed were setup to tight so would not open. just like putting 2panels in or pack silicon behind them. will not work right .even a single bead of silicon on the breaking edgeof panel will give you 8 more lbs. before it opens. just my thought.if there is a way to get around rules racers will find it an then the money goes up because of new rules.

7. rick macedo racing

rick macedo racing New Member

The problems with the pop offs I can tell you first hand.I bought a motor made by a reputable engine builder.Very nice quality and he stood behind it even though I didnt pay him.The seller was not reputable and what happened was he didnt tell me he had a problem with the pop off going off so he had bolted it shut from the inside and left it looking functional from the outside.WELL ON THE 3RD GOOD PASS IT WENT BOOM and blew the intake out of the car.So I dont think the burst panel is a rip off.
    Rick

8. Don Onimus

Don Onimus New Member

burst panel

Oh along with the money thing, opinions make the world go around. Just wondering when we will need to send our chutes back every year to get re-cert @ around $80 a piece. oh plus by the way, everyone will need to buy new ones to start with. MONEY ETC, ETC ETC Don